How do I find a Knox vault that has gone missing?

High Sierra loaded a few days ago. No problems at the time. Yesterday, Macbook Pro began running hot. All day. I re-started it a couple of times. On one occasion, it couldn't see my two Knox vaults (one business, one personal). Eventually, it did see one of them, and I quickly copied everything across into Dropbox. Then the vault disappeared. The personal one hasn't reappeared at all. I have a three day old backup on a separate external hard drive, but I'd rather fix the problem. I've only just learned by surfing this forum that Knox is no longer supported

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@twasdolly: If you know the filename, it should be pretty easy to find using Spotlight. For example, I can find my "archive" vault by typing "archive.sparsebundle" (really don't have to even type the whole thing though) into the search box. I'm not sure how or why any of that (overheating, moving the vault, having the file disappear) would be related though, unless your drive is failing or something. Definitely work looking into — and I'm glad to hear you have a backup!

• Thanks Brenty. Nothing there. Might be caught up in some iCloud Drive movements too. Overheating has stopped after I quit and restarted iCloud syncing via Activity Monitor. Maybe Knox doesn't play nice with iCloud Drive. I can still see that the data is there somewhere, gee I'd like the drive space back.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@twasdolly: Ah. It really depends on your use. I would never store Knox vaults in my iCloud Drive because they are really big! Also, they are not efficient to sync the way documents generally are: a minor change can result in the whole thing being sync'd again. Given that storage space is a concern, it sounds like your may be pretty big too, so I'd reconsider putting them there. Just my two cents. :)

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

Team Member

You really should never store your Knox vault in a folder that syncs to the cloud, such as iCloud Drive or Dropbox or anything similar. If you want to sync encrypted files to other devices, while it's not an official AgileBits recommendation, I've personally begun using Boxcryptor instead of Knox, which I like a lot since it can also be used on iOS, and be synced between devices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file