I am unable to get the mini app icon to show in my menu bar. Running El Capitain.

Options
billmichalski
billmichalski
Community Member

1Password mini - both check boxes: always keep running and show mini app icon are checked. Is this a known issue with El Capitan? or perhaps maybe a larger issue with this computer in particular (which has been giving me migraines right out of the box).

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am unable to get the mini app icon to show in my menu bar. Running El Capitain

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @billmichalski! 1Password mini should be running and visible, if you've got both those boxes checked. Can I ask: what happens if you open a webpage to a login form where you have an account stored in 1Password, and try to use the 1Password browser extension to fill? Does it work?

• billmichalski
    billmichalski
    Community Member
    Options

So far, yes. The Safari browser extension works as advertised. I normally use Firefox but have not installed it on this new computer yet. So we'll see about that one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billmichalski -- OK, thanks. I'm wondering if a restart of your Mac might help this problem? Let's try that before proceeding any further. If you've already done that, or if you do it now and that doesn't help, then we'll probably want to get a diagnostics report from you. Let us know!

• billmichalski
    billmichalski
    Community Member
    Options

I have restarted a few times with no luck. However, as I mentioned, this computer has been acting possessed or something, so I have decided to return it for a refund. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billmichalski -- if that's your decision, then there's not much further we need to go here. I would advise you to be certain you have your 1Password data available on another device by either syncing or backup, so that surrendering this device doesn't result in lost data. Good luck!

• karamummy
    karamummy
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I had the same problem when I first installed 1Password 6 - everything working except no visible mini in the menu bar. A restart solved that problem (Thank you Lars!). Just as an FYI I am also running El Capitan.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@karamummy -- Thanks for letting us know! I always sorta cringe when I tell people "have you tried restarting your device" because I'm well aware of what a cliché of tech support that's become. But the reason it's become such a cliché is due to how often it simply works. There are a few issues with 1Password for which we know the answer is a restart, and there are others that require a much more surgical, specialized fix. But anytime I'm seeing a customer describe oddball behavior with 1Password that I've never heard or seen before, one of the first things I do is ask them to restart their device.

And although I've never actually totaled up the results, I would estimate at LEAST 50% of the time, a restart alone will solve the problem. Computers definitely continue to get more stable with every passing year, but there are so many different processes operating at any one time, that the longer a given device is operating, the more likely it is that something will fail -- often silently in the background, without notifying the user, or one process will conflict with another, or something else will go wrong. And when that happens, if it doesn't crash the device right away, you'll see increasingly unstable behavior the longer the device is left running. We've gotten off topic from 1Password here, but I swear the two best pieces of advice for any computer user (and let's face it, those tiny "phones" in our pockets are more computer than phone) are:

1. Make backups, and
    2. If things are weird, restart.

So much heartache and wasted time can be avoided with just these two simple things. Thanks again for your comments! :)

This discussion has been closed.