[Feature Request] Secure Notes Rich Formatting

Options
tmchow
tmchow
Community Member
edited October 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

This has been raised over the years, and convos have been had, but then topics closed.
I keep reading it's on the roadmap, and understand prioritization, but wow, this has got to be valuable for a lot of people.

Feb 2016: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58487/secure-notes-formatting-text-asking-again
2014: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/27488/secure-notes-formatting-text#latest
2013: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/75937
2010: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/1824/improving-secure-notes

The more people use Secure Notes as a repository of infromation, the more we need formatting. For example, just today, I created a secure note to store the serial #s of my appliances so I can reference it in the future for any service I need to have since I usually call the manufacturer when I'm at work and not next to the appliance.

I created a note that literally was like this:

-
Oven
Model ACDEF
Serial 123

Fridge
Model GHIK
Serial 456

Dishwasher
Model LMNO
Serial 789
_

Everything is plaintext and only "formatting" I have is separating across spaces. I sometimes will use lots of hyphens to give me "underlines".

I know formatting can be hard across clients, but perhaps a simple way is to support markdown?

I mean, 1Password definitely knows the importance of formatting. Imagine these forums if there was no formatting :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @tmchow: I know it seems like sometimes we're just pushing off a feature request, but I promise we really do keep track of these things. How many requests we've seen for a feature does play a role in prioritization, but it isn't (and can't be) fully democratic. I can't speak to other platforms current priorities, but on the Windows side of the world our focus right now is on getting 1Password 7 ready for prime time, which includes building support for standalone vaults on top of the foundation 1Password 6 has laid. This alone is no small task and this does mean even some popular feature requests are taking a back seat right now. We do hear you, I swear it. There's just a lot on the list and priorities are ever-shifting, so we don't like to make any promises until we know we can keep 'em. :+1:

• tmchow
    tmchow
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate sorry I didn’t mean to imply your team was ignoring it or it was easy. Nor was I saying just because lots of people ask for it, that you should automatically do it. I totally understand the need to prioritize!

That said, I worry when Old feature Request threads linger for this long (7 years!) with no formal update. Working in software myself, something that goes this long is likely never to get implemented.

Has your team considered setting up a uservoice.com site to track feature requests? It would act as a two way system were your users can be notified id a feature makes it on the roadmap. Going through forum posts is a little crazy and hard to track the overall support.

• @tmchow: I totally understand what you're saying, but I think it would be a bit much for us to track when every request gets on the road map, especially given how sometimes we'll start work on something, something else will come up and that thing we worked on for weeks or months or even sometimes longer will get backburnered in favor of an emergent issue. We're growing for sure and that's awesome, but we're still a pretty small team. I love the idea of complete transparency for feature requests, but it would be a lot to ask any member of our team to keep up with every single one of them. We do already track them, but particularly when it comes to features that need to be implemented cross-platform, every team having time to work on them all at once is a huge challenge.

That said, and I should have mentioned this earlier (sorry!), I can think of at least one thing strongly weighing against rich formatting in Secure Notes and that's Document items. For folks with a 1Password membership, something that needs rich formatting makes a lot more sense as a Document item than a Secure Note as the program you create the Document item in provides that formatting (and we don't have to). These can also be previewed directly in 1Password making them serve the purpose of a richly formatting Secure Note rather easily. We know not everyone has access to Document items and that if you're using a standalone vault this may be more complicated, but even with a standalone vault, you can add an attachment to a Secure Note (or other item) in order to achieve something similar. This may not be a perfect solution for folks who have been asking for this, but it is a path forward and the existence of other options does tend to push things down the priority list.

With that in mind, let me ask a question of you: Is there a reason an attachment to a Secure Note with your Appliance Inventory typed up in Word wouldn't be a good option for you?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

With that in mind, let me ask a question of you: Is there a reason an attachment to a Secure Note with your Appliance Inventory typed up in Word wouldn't be a good option for you?

Hope I’m not rude by answering this as well, but for me the fact that I have to store this Word document somewhere (unencrypted?) first is holding me back. Plus I don’t like Word for stuff like this ;)

I’d prefer Markdown editing/viewing in Secure Notes above any document...

• tmchow
    tmchow
    Community Member
    Options

And doing it in a separate editor first won’t work well on mobile.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII:

store this Word document somewhere (unencrypted?)

All of the data you store in 1Password vault is encrypted, we would not suggest you to keep your data in an insecure way. :)

@tmchow, @XIII: I prefer Markdown myself, so it would be really cool to have it in Secure Notes. We are working really hard to improve 1Password every day, so your suggestions are duly noted. Your feedback is much appreciated, so please keep it coming.

Have a fantastic Sunday!

Cheers,
    Greg

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

All of the data you store in 1Password vault is encrypted, we would not suggest you to keep your data in an insecure way. :)

Maybe I misunderstood Kate, but I don’t know how to type something in Word and save it directly as a document in 1Password.

Unless you support the new files feature in iOS 11? ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

This has been raised over the years, and convos have been had, but then topics closed.

Just to clarify, discussions are closed automatically after a long period of inactivity — 6 months or more.

Maybe I misunderstood Kate, but I don’t know how to type something in Word and save it directly as a document in 1Password.

@XIII: What Kate means is that you can add files to your 1Password vault after you create them, either as attachments to an item in a local vault, or as Documents in a 1Password.com account. The desktop apps and web interface support this. It's something we may be able to support on iOS in the future for 1Password.com accounts though.

• jimlongo
    jimlongo
    Community Member
    Options

Rich Text (good) or Markdown (better), or at a minimum font selection (so I can have monospaced fonts to fake some columnar look)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions! It isn't something we're focused on right now as there are already a lot of great and power text editors out there. But I agree it could be useful in 1Password too. Maybe it's something we can add in a future version. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.