Beta 0.9.3 published!

Just a quick little update to bring some new toys and an important bug fix for new users!

Our latest release is working its way through the Chrome Web Store update process now and should be available for everyone in about an hour from now. Here's the full changelog:

[NEW] Added support for accounts using our new 1Password.eu region.
[NEW] Added an option to control whether the inline menu shows automatically.
[IMPROVED] Updated autolock settings description to make it clear idle time is based on system inactivity.
[FIXED] Fixed a problem where we would not prompt to add new accounts.
[FIXED] Inline icon now appears properly on vodafone.co.nz.
[FIXED] Fixed inline menu keyboard navigation on Amazon Web Services sign-in page.

Please put this new version through its paces and let us know how it goes.

Thank you! <3

Comments

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Wait a minute: 1Password.eu? Are you saying that you now have your servers also in Europe? If so, I have a lot of questions ;)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@Manaburner: You saw that, eh? I believe we would call this a soft release of our 1Password CA and EU regions. We should have a blog post coming soon, which will answer the many questions I suspect people will have. Until then, since this is a more private forum, I can likely answer a few.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

I'm sure when you now have servers in the EU, this will make a lot of people (including me) be a bit more relaxed when the data is hosted in the EU and protected by EU data protection laws. :)

If you have the time, I would appreciate the answers, but if not, I will wait for the blog post.

1. Where in the EU are the servers hosted?
    2. Can you move your existing 1Password.com account to a 1Password.eu account?
    3. Can you use the region right away in your apps or will they require an update?

That's about it. Ok not "a lot" of questions ;)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@Manaburner: Great questions!

I'm sure when you now have servers in the EU, this will make a lot of people (including me) be a bit more relaxed when the data is hosted in the EU and protected by EU data protection laws.

Exactly! Some EU organizations require all data, even if it's encrypted clientside like ours, to be hosted within the EU.

Where in the EU are the servers hosted?

Amazon Web Services eu-cenertal-1 region, more specifically Frankfurt, Germany.

Can you move your existing 1Password.com account to a 1Password.eu account?

For various reasons, mostly security related, directly moving accounts to different regions is not something we support. However, we hope to have some news regarding server migration in the future. We recommend 1Password.com customers stay in the region they are currently located for now.

It would be possible to create a 1Password.eu account, add it to one of our 1Password apps, and then manually migrate your data over. There are some limitations, like needing to download all Document Items and re-upload them to the new region. I'd still highly recommend anyone considering that to hold off until we have a better process in place.

Can you use the region right away in your apps or will they require an update?

As long as you're running the latest versions of the 1Password apps, they are ready to go. The only difference is using my.1password.eu for individual accounts or teamname.1password.eu for Team/Family accounts as the account sign-in address.

I hope that helps! We've been working behind the scenes to make this all possible, and thoroughly tested our new regions, but there's still plenty of work to support existing customers that will want to move accounts over.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Thank you for your detailed reply.

As they are hosted in Frankfurt, I can drive over to them and have a look at my data directly ;)

Besides the technical aspect of moving data, I guess there's also the account billing aspect I would assume, i.e. when I already have a 1Password.com subscription, can I move that over to the EU and all the benefits I currently have, e.g. Family Day bonuses or 20% off.

Sure I will hold off moving my account until there's a process in place. :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@Manaburner: You're welcome.

I was going to touch on the account billing aspect as one of the complications as well, but unfortunately, I can't give a definitive answer to how that will work just yet. I personally would hate to promise anything I can't deliver on.

Just in case, we haven't mentioned it in a while, we greatly appreciate you using 1Password. Longtime customers, like yourself, have allowed us to do many of the great things we've wanted to while staying a privately held organization.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@beyer
    I really appreciate your kind words. :)
    I love 1Password and have told anyone that looked for a password manager to use that as well. Also I tried to convince people not to leave 1Password, just because the Windows version currently only supports 1Password.com accounts and the fear they will lose their beloved Dropbox or Wifi sync options. But you know some are resistant to arguments and rather believe the FUD articles they read on "tech" sites.

IMHO 1Password is far better than the competition, the apps are great on every platform and app integrations on iOS also are very handy.
    When you read about data breaches or strange business decisions from other vendors, I know I've made the right decision in using 1Password.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@Manaburner: I'm of course biased, but I was using 1Password well before I started here at AgileBits and I couldn't agree more with you!

A good portion of new customers come to us by word of mouth, which in my opinion, is the best advertising.

In case you didn't know, we've already announced standalone vaults in 1Password 7 for Windows. That should hopefully provide some relief for anyone worried about Dropbox and Wifi support.

Time for me to get some coding done on 1Password for Chrome. :) Have a great week!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@beyer
    Yes I've heard about Version 7 and I also think this will ease some minds :)
    Happy coding

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :+1:

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.