Importing from Dashlane. I want to change password managers.

Options
Phiiip_Lerner
Phiiip_Lerner
Community Member

I want to change managers. 1Password was recommended to me by an Apple Senior Tech Advisor. Dashlane became corrupted & I no longer have confidence in it. It is not installed in my Mac nor can it be. I can access my passwords thru Dashlane's web site (https://app.dashlane.com/credentials) to get one login credentials at a time, but it is very cumbersome. Can 1Password import my information under these circumstances? If not what is the best way for me to set up my account and transfer over 100 passwords into 1Password? Is this even possible?

1Password Version: n/a
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Import passwords fromDashlane

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @Phiiip_Lerner :)
    Welcome to 1Password! Does Dashlane have any sort of export function of it's own? If it can export, say, to CSV, then you could make use of MrC's Utility to convert it to a format 1Password can use.

Hope that helps. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Corey_C - Dashlane does have a CSV-ish export, but it is ambiguous:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/347832/#Comment_347832

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/139608/#Comment_139608

1Password.com does supports a Dashlane import, but it can't be perfectly reliable due to the above:

https://support.1password.com/import-dashlane/

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

There's your answer @Phiiip_Lerner. Thanks, as always, @MrC :)

• Phiiip_Lerner
    Phiiip_Lerner
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, MrC. Sadly Dashlane is not able to be installed on my Mac. It was once installed but became corrupted and can no longer be installed. I can access all vital information through Dashlane's web site, but I was hoping to not be forced to copy and paste over 100 logins and passwords.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Phiiip_Lerner ,

I don't know that Dashlane has a web-based export. It's pretty weak.

It doesn't seem right that you cannot reinstall Dashlane onto your Mac. You should be able to remove the previous install, toss out any private data stores (which might be causing the install or launch problems you have), and re-import from a Dashlane backup (or sync your data from the web).

• Phiiip_Lerner
    Phiiip_Lerner
    Community Member
    Options

MRC, you are absolutely correct that is makes no sense, except there is a possibility or maybe a probability that Dashlane is messing with me by blocking the installation of the program. According to a Senior Apple Tech Advisor they absolutely have the capability to do that. Their support people gave me instructions to fix a glitch with the program. The fix caused even more trouble, which was affirmed by a trusted third party having no axe to grind. That is when I became unable to reinstall Dashlane with a clean installation. You see, the installation must have their blessing if it is to be functional. That happens in the background with no user awareness. I complained about no access to my encrypted information so they gave me access through their web site. I can use my credentials but is a very awkward, time consuming and clumsy way to do things. I'll just have to live with it until I can effect a change to 1Password. Thanks for trying to help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Phiiip_Lerner ,

That's a bummer, and sounds like far more trouble than its worth.

If I were in your shoes, I'd use another (trusted) system, Windows or OS X, to get the Desktop app installed, sync'd, exported, and then get rid of the whole lot. I'd use a virtual machine to do it (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox). This may be much more of a task than you're currently comfortable or willing to undertake.

I wish I knew of a simpler method for you.

• dhyatt
    dhyatt
    Community Member
    Options

If 1Password does not support conversion to Dashlane, why don’t you update your instructions on your support page and not make us dig through forums? I used the browser-based converter linked to in this thread. Was that a secure thing to do? It was very simple to use.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@dhyatt

If 1Password does not support conversion to Dashlane...

I'm not quite sure what you mean. This thread was about a poster having trouble with Dashlane and wanting to export data from Dashlane and import into 1Password. We do have a web-based Dashlane importer, as Corey_C mentioned in his earlier reply.

As far as exporting TO Dashlane, I would say it's not 1Password's job to make sure we can export our data into multiple different competitors' formats for easy import there. We do allow you to export your data as either standard .CSV file or our own, much more robust .1pif (1Password Interchange) format, either of which can be used to import data into another app.

ref: IUR-26959-217

This discussion has been closed.