To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

After switching to an Account, what local files are still necessary? Backups?

SVanDee
SVanDee
Community Member

I recently switch to an Account and moved all my vaults there. Finder says I still have:

Home/Documents/1Password/Backups 400 MB most recent 2017-10-02
Home/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups 575 MB most recent 2017-10-14 plus a couple hundred MB of other stuff

Do I need to keep any Backups locally now?

I don't know who's updating the 1Password 4 folder in Application Support. I have been running 1Password 4 for Windows in a Windows 10 virtual machine with Parallels but I think it's configured so Windows can't see my Home/Library folder. In any case, it should also be using my Account now.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: Agilebits Personal Account
Referrer: forum-search:Switched to account. Can delete local files?

Comments

• 1Password 6 uses the 1Password 4 folder. :)

Home/Documents/1Password/Backups

This isn’t a folder that 1Password for Mac uses by default... Are you sure the Windows VM isn’t configured to share the Documents folder with your Mac?

Home/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups

You do not need to keep the contents of this folder, if you don’t want, but it may not be a bad idea to keep the latest backup.

Now that you have an account you’ve upgraded to 1Password 6 for Windows, correct? :)

Ben

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation. Please pardon me for being so slow getting back. I see now I didn't have email notifications enabled in my Profile.

Actually, I switched to a new Mac on 10/3 and haven't installed 1P on the Windows side at all yet. Home/Documents/1Password/Backups was in the data I migrated from the old iMac. It hasn't been updated since so I'll delete it.

I see in Finder that the last backup 1P on the Mac added to 1Password 4 was on 10/14 and contains zero profiles, items, etc. so it looks like it did stop creating backups once I didn't have any local vaults left. What use might 1P make of the local backups if I kept them?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@SVanDee

What use might 1P make of the local backups if I kept them?

If you are using 1Password with local vaults, then 1Password for Mac makes backups for you automatically, around once a day. It stores them in your Library folder (in your User folder). Specific location depends on whether you're using 1Password from us or from the Mac App Store. These can be used to restore a previous state/version of your 1Password data, in case something goes wrong with the current version. It can be useful if one or more items is inadvertently or maliciously deleted as well.

However, if you're using a 1password.com account, you will not have a need for those backups because 1password.com vaults are backed up not on your local device, but offsite, on our servers -- which is far more secure anyway. If your local hard drive crashes unrecoverably, it won't matter how many local backups you have if they're all on that same, crashed, drive.

Let us know if you have any further questions or need assistance with anything. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.