To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Syncing 1Password data to a new iPhone

Options
brianmcgarry
brianmcgarry
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Memberships

we have a problem. my wife suddenly can't log into her iphone 1password account. its now asking for a secret key. i have license's (a few) for the family version. i believe that i have an account but agilebits seems to think i don't. not sure what to do. the iphone will not allow me to just connect to our icloud data using our license agreement.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Suddenly asked for secret key on iphone. family always used to connected through icloud. have lic.

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @brianmcgarry :)
    Sorry for the troubles. Let me first just clarify some terminology. For 1Password, an account refers to those people with 1Password.com subscriptions, the people who pay monthly or yearly. Licenses refer to those people who bought 1Password once, for $64.99, or whatever it was when you bought it, and use 3rd party methods to sync their data. Secret Keys are only for people who have accounts. If you are a license user, you won't have one.

In the case of your wife's iPhone, did she reinstall 1Password recently? If so, she would be greeted with a welcome screen that looks like this:

At the bottom, under the "Already using 1Password?" section, there are multiple options. There is the 1Password.com option for those with accounts and, underneath that, there are options for Dropbox and iCloud. Pick the one you use, which, from what you say, would be iCloud, and follow the on screen instructions to connect and sync up your data.

Hope that helps. :)

• brianmcgarry
    brianmcgarry
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Corey,
    So I reinstalled it and tried it again and i run into a screen that says: " No Vaults were found. "

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Vaults would only be found if you had previously set up iCloud syncing before this. Have you?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brianmcgarry -- if your wife was previously using 1Password on her iPhone, was she using a local vault? If so, was she syncing that vault with either iCloud or Dropbox? Unless something has changed, like switching phones or deleting and re-installing 1Password or (possibly) restoring her iPhone from a backup, 1Password will not start treating her as a new user if there was data already within it. Can you tell us how specifically your wife was using 1Password previously? Don't post any personally-identifying information such as anyone's email address or her Master Password, but please let us know whether she had a local 1Password vault and whether she was syncing her data. Thanks.

• brianmcgarry
    brianmcgarry
    Community Member
    Options

She was syncing data through icloud. she actually had not gotten a new phone or reinstalled 1password until yesterday. she is part of my family. 1password is working on our mac, macbook, and my iphone. can we launch a chat to walk through this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brianmcgarry -- we don't have a live chat mechanism; this is as close as it gets. :) When you say your wife "had not reinstalled 1Password until yesterday," can you clarify that a bit? Does that mean she did get a new phone or reinstalled recently? Or did the problem present itself without any changes made by you or your wife?

If this is a matter of iCloud sync itself, I'd recommend checking through all of these steps to make sure nothing's amiss.

• brianmcgarry
    brianmcgarry
    Community Member
    Options

lets treat this like a brand new phone. how do i add this phone to my family vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brianmcgarry - If you have an iOS device you'd like to use with your 1Password account, these are the instructions.

However, I think there might be some confusion here about what we each mean by "account." 1Password licenses and 1Password accounts are different things -- if you've been syncing via iCloud, then you likely don't have a 1Password account, as all accounts sync using 1password.com.

If you and your wife have been using 1Password as a standalone app, using iCloud only syncs one vault, the user's Primary vault. And each instance of iCloud sync would be using that specific user's Apple ID (and iCloud account). In other words, if you and your wife have separate Apple IDs, you would each sync your own Primary vaults separately (not shared). Unless you and your wife share a single Apple ID, there is no "family vault," unless you created a secondary vault and that's what you're trying to now sync. Do you have more than one vault? If so, although your wife can sync data in her Primary vault via iCloud, you would need Dropbox to sync and share a secondary vault.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by "family vault?" Thanks in advance and sorry for any confusion.

This discussion has been closed.