Purchased family plan (annual), but want to convert to individual

Angela_McC
Angela_McC
Community Member

My trial was almost up, so I decided to purchase a family plan tonight. I didn't realize that we would have to share a vault, so I would like to convert it to an individual plan. When I try to do so, I get an error message that I need to remove all family members first. The only family member I have added so far is my husband, but I can't figure out how to remove him. It gives me the option to suspend him, which I did, but he is still listed as a family member and every time I try to convert to an individual plan, I still get an error message stating I need to remove the family members first. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @Angela_McC :)
    I can help you, but I think I should correct some misconceptions of yours first. You don't need to share a vault when using 1Password Families. The shared vault is there for items that you want to share amongst the whole family. But your Personal vault is still yours and yours alone. Every member of the family is given their own personal vault that only they can access. You only share what you want to share by putting those items in the shared vault. Anything kept in each member's Personal vault remains private to that specific person.

Hopefully that helps, but if you still want to convert to an individual account, let me know.

• Angela_McC
    Angela_McC
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply, Corey_C! I appreciate you clearing up my misconceptions regarding the family plan. You explained the way it works very clearly. My husband also has a trial account. Is there any way for him to migrate his passwords to the family plan that I have set up? He cannot figure out a way to do so.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@Angela_McC
    Not a problem. :) Best way to transfer passwords from one account to the other is to sign in to both accounts on the same and then move the items from one account to the other.

Let me know if you run into any problems with the process. :)

• Angela_McC
    Angela_McC
    Community Member

How does my husband sign into both accounts at the same time?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@Angela_McC 1Password can sign in to more than one 1Password.com account at the same time. I can't give you specific instructions without knowing what platform you are using (MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android), but all the instructions are in this help document and you can choose your platform there.

Sign in to your 1Password account on a new device

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Angela_McC - glad @Corey_C got you pointed in the right direction. You have to use a 1Password app to transfer data between vaults in different accounts, because they're each encrypted with their own key and you have access to only one account at a time in a browser window. Once your husband has transferred over his passwords from his individual account to either the Personal or the Shared vault of your 1Password Families account, he can go to Preferences > Accounts (if he's using a Mac, slightly different if other devices, but the Accounts tab of either Preferences or Settings), and remove the no-longer-necessary Individual account.

This discussion has been closed.