Local data storage? / iCloud sync? - Need some help!

vulgris
vulgris
Community Member

Hello guys,

first of all I want to point out that I'm a new user to 1Passwort.
Right at the moment I'm using it in free trial for about 4-5 days in version 6.9.

I like the whole integration into my apple ecosystem - but I was wondering about the following issue:

I thought that the vaults where stored local on my iOS device. (my only installation so far)
But after I set up my vault and signed in to the security website (hope that it is called like that) all my password showed up in 1Browser. I was a bit confused due to the fact that I thought the data of my password was just stored locally.

Another problem I have is that I'm not able to sync via iCloud.
I'm not 100% sure if this link https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/ is still valid, but this issue could be connected to my first question about the local storage.

May someone could bring light to my unaware mind?

Thank you very much in advance and have a nice day.

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: None
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: Unknown

Comments

• Hi @vulgris

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

When using a 1Password.com subscription membership your (encrypted) data is stored on the 1Password.com service (instead of iCloud or other 3rd party storage). This is the only way to offer a number of the key features that we have with membership.

With doing so your data is encrypted with a second key, called your Secret Key, before being stored. This is in addition to the encryption done with your Master Password. We call this two-secret key derivation. You can read more about that here:

AgileBits Blog | 1Password is #LayerUp-ed with modern authentication

This is only available with 1Password membership, and not with a standalone vault synced via iCloud.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• vulgris
    vulgris
    Community Member

Hello @Ben,

thank you very much for the fast response.
    So I'm much more confused right now.

I subscribed my 1Passwort via the Appstore.
    What do I have to do right now if I want a sync through iCloud AND have family subscription?
    Is this even possible?

Thanks a lot for easing my troubled mind.

• What do I have to do right now if I want a sync through iCloud AND have family subscription?
    Is this even possible?

1Password Families accounts store their data on 1Password.com. It is not possible to sync a 1Password Families account with iCloud (a number of the features made possible by 1Password families are not possible with iCloud).

Ben

• vulgris
    vulgris
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the clarification @Ben =)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.