edge extension "couldn't install"

Options

I've had the edge extension for 1Password installed for a week or more but have had issues with stability - it stops working or just goes away and I have to reinstall it. Yesterday and today I am being told that the extension couldn't install and would be tried again later.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: unknown
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: default
Referrer: forum-search:edge extension couldn't install

Comments

• @stevewoo: Have you noticed anything in particular that seems to trigger this? Any pattern to when it seems to disable? When it disappears, have you checked if you're able to re-enable it in Edge? It only happened to me once, but following a Windows update, I had to re-enable all of my Edge extensions so it's worth checking. :+1:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

I have not, but will pay closer attention. This latest episode was after the Windows update to 1709. And just now, Windows has informed me that the extension has been installed and it is active now.

• @stevewoo: That sounds a bit similar to my experience. I'm not sure why it happened, but all of my extensions in Edge were disabled following the last Windows update I got and I had to manually re-enable them twice before it stuck. I have another Windows update waiting for me to finish working so I can restart right now, so I'll keep an eye on things and see if it happens to me again. I'm not sure it will get us any closer to definitive answer, but worth being attentive to all the same.

Do you have other extensions in Edge? It would also be good to know if your issues are isolated to the 1Password extension or, like my previous problem, affect all extensions in Edge. If you don't have other extensions installed already, grabbing another might prove enlightening, if you're willing.

Thanks! :chuffed:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

I do have one other extension - Ghostery. That one seems more stable. Since my last restart, which made the 1Password extension functional again, it has quit working.

• @stevewoo: Oh no! I mean, I'm glad to hear the 1Password extension is working again, but I wish it weren't seemingly at Ghostery's expense. I installed the update I mentioned earlier in our conversation and, though it included some Edge updates, it didn't affect the 1Password extension for me this time around. I hope that the 1Password extension is still cooperating (and that Ghostery got it together). :chuffed:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - my bad - the Ghostery extension is solid, it's the 1Password extension that falls over. After a reboot this morning to get the 1Password extension running again, it is still running, so that's good. It's curious to me that I'm having problems on my Surface with Edge the only browser loaded. My desktop PC, where the 1Password extension has been rock solid, also has Chrome and FireFox installed.

• @stevewoo: Oh, no worries. I can definitely see how I misread that -- sorry! It is interesting that things are isolated to the Surface, but that actually may give us something to play around with. I know we've got some folks around here with Surfaces (not I unfortunate, though I wish I had one!) so perhaps we can do some investigative work on our end. I'm glad to hear it's working for now, but do let us know if the issue crops up again! :+1:

• stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

OK - a couple of days later and the pattern is: it works, sometime later it stops working, I "fix" it by closing the browser, exiting 1Password and then starting a browser session again. After a while, it quits working. This morning it is no longer listed as an extension within Edge, so I guess the process starts all over again?

• Hi @stevewoo,

This morning it is no longer listed as an extension within Edge, so I guess the process starts all over again?

That is absolutely strange. So far, you're the only one or one or two that is reporting that kind of disappearance. The next time it happens, can you look at Event Viewer to see if there were any issues?

Actually, can you do this:

1. Open Start menu
    2. Search for Reliability Monitor and open it
    3. Can you go through the most recent issues, find anything related to 1Password, Edge or something that is suspicious and share it with us?
  • stevewoo
    stevewoo
    Community Member
    Options

Here you go. Edge itself also has multiple fails, though not tied by time to the 1Password fall overs.

• Hi @stevewoo,

Thanks for that.

I'm going to reply to our last email with you to try to grab these files, the subject of the email should include this ID: ELV-49278-769

This discussion has been closed.