1password functionality within Citrix Receiver?

Options
steward_tharp
steward_tharp
Community Member

I am a relative novice with 1password but have dove in head first with some minor cuts and bruises to show. Most pressing for me at the moment is that I need to remotely login to my work server via Citrix Receiver every day. I have managed to generate a 1password login for this process but unfortunately once within the receiver I have a separate login to get into certain software applications. Copy paste seems to be disabled between the local device and the remote workspace. Manually keying in a 30 character password that I cannot remember multiple times daily is a huge inconvenience. Could someone smart give me a rough idea if I am asking the impossible or if there is some workaround? If not, I am going to need to go back to simple, memorable passwords for these applications. Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password access within Citrix receiver environment

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @steward_tharp! Any kind of remote protocol is dicey at best, depending on the communication mechanism used, and often simply not possible. I'm not personally familiar with Citrix Receiver (I mean; I know what it is, but haven't used it myself), but while 1Password should be aces at signing you into local resources, we're pretty limited in what we can do if copy/paste is disabled on the remote device, especially because you're talking about signing into native apps and not web forms. Do you have the ability to install 1Password on the remote machine at your office? And is that Windows or Mac?

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

@steward_tharp It depends it might have cut you off from that ability, or if you're allowed you haven't enable it.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX221798

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlwaysSortaCurious - nice find, and we'll be happy if that works for you, @steward_tharp! Let us know if there's anything else we can assist with.

• steward_tharp
    steward_tharp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars & @AlwaysSortaCurious for the comments. I went back and forth with the network administrators yesterday and can provide an update. Absolutely true that copy/paste ability can be toggled on/off within Citrix Receiver. In my case it was allowed and the root problem turned out to be the software I was attempting to utilize (Epic Systems- medical record management software) which does not allow paste functionality specifically within login fields. Initially believing that I could circumvent the problem by "activating" Citrix Receiver on my device, I completed this process which added Epic directly to my apps folder and allowed simultaneous launch of Citrix Receiver and Epic. Unfortunately, the Epic paste block did not allow an autofill from 1password via this method either. Thus, ironically, the software developers' efforts to increase security has forced my hand to use a weaker, memorable password. To address Lars's comments: I cannot install 1password on the network machine with Citrix Receiver; the administrators have a handful of pre approved applications that can be activated, but no custom installs. That said, since copy/paste is disabled with login fields I think it is a moot point.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steward_tharp -- thanks for the update! I'm sorry - but not particularly surprise - to learn that it was another process' attempts to ensure security that actually wound up lowering your security. We see this far too often, with sites or even apps that are still enforcing advice which may have been helpful fifteen years ago but has long since outlived it usefulness (or in some cases, was never good advice to begin with). I wish we had a better solution for you, but there's a limit to what we can do in many cases where other apps are involved.

One suggestion I do have for you, if you're forced to use a memorable phrase, is that 1Password's Strong Password Generator can be set to generate passphrases using real words. It's still not as secure, but I've found this to be memorizable and random enough that it offers more protection than your dog's name combined with your mom's birthday or the like.

This discussion has been closed.