Edge Extension Available outside of the Windows Store?

Options

My company blocks access to the Windows store. Is there a way to install the Edge extension without access to the Windows store?

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Edge Browser

Comments

• Hi @Clavius,

Thanks for writing n.

Unfortunately, no there isn't. Microsoft only allow Edge extensions within the Windows Store.

• Tims_AgileBits
    Tims_AgileBits
    Community Member
    Options

ditto. Same issue.

Not that I advocate undermining draconian policies... umm, yes, I do

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@Tims_AgileBits: Nice. :lol:

In all seriousness though, the Windows Store is still the only way to distribute Edge extensions, and it seems that will be the case for the foreseeable future.

Given the curation and sandboxing, as well as the ability to restrict what is used, I'm surprised that companies would want to prevent employees from using Windows Store apps. I know that some allow only Windows Store apps (or whitelist specific apps in general) to limit exposure to software installed from just anywhere.

I guess my point is, it may be worth bringing up with the IT department, as they could potentially have specific apps be allowed or potentially provision them centrally. Seems like that would be easier to police. Just a thought.

And, on the off chance that Chrome and Chrome extensions are allowed, you might want to try 1Password X there. It doesn't require an app install, so it's really handy for accessing 1Password.com accounts in restrictive environments. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.