Start 1Password mini on startup, but don't start main application?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Ben I see! Please keep me posted on any updates from the team.
    By the way, there is one more thing that I'm quite curious; I couldn't reproduce this issue on a Macbook w/o touchbar...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wattachai: We won't be able to solve that mystery, as we do not make the hardware or the APIs that interact with it; Apple does. But my guess is that this is just a chain reaction:

1. macOS boots
    2. Safari is reopened by macOS
    3. Safari App Extensions are loaded
    4. 1Password extension calls main 1Password background process
    5. 1Password background process queries Touch ID if enabled
    6. Touch ID triggers UI for unlocking 1Password
    7. 1Password window comes up as a result

I think it makes sense if you follow it backward: 1Password < Touch ID < Safari App Extension < Safari < macOS.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

That makes sense. Safari App Extension framework might be creating this chain reaction. Having said that, its behavior is rather quirky.
    @Ben @brenty Thank you for all the responses. I hope there is a way to sort this out. Can’t wait to hear updates from QA team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wattachai: While I think my theory is a decent one, I do hope someone here can figure it out definitively. It drives me nuts that I've never been able to reproduce this, because it seems almost absurd that I shouldn't. And hopefully we can find a way to work around it too. Thank you so much for testing and confirming what I could not! Well see what we can do. :)

• keithodland
    keithodland
    Community Member

I am not sure if I am having the same issue or a different issue. When I select the mini icon in the menu bar, it does nothing. When I click the 1Password extension icon in the Safari widget area, my screen "blinks" (goes from normal gray to lighter gray, then back to normal gray) but that is it. If my 1Password application is running it will quickly bring the application to the front for a moment and then it goes behind the Safari window. Also, the open and fill operation from 1Password no longer takes me to the target page and fills in my information. Anyway, I am dead in the water. Please help.

Configuration:
    Safari 12.1.1
    macOS 10.14.5
    1Password7 7.3

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@keithodland - I'm sorry for the trouble! Have you restarted your Mac lately? This sounds like something else potentially grabbing focus or otherwise crashed. Please restart your Mac and let us know if the issue persists. If it does, can you tell us whether anything's changed recently on your Mac? Updates to either 1Password or macOS? Anything else? Does the problem occur in other browsers as well, or only Safari?

• keithodland
    keithodland
    Community Member

Oh boy, a little embarrassed here. A full restart restored normal function. My punishment can be that this remains posted for all to see until eternity. Thank you for your help.

• Heh. Happens to the best of us. :) Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear it appears to be working now. If the problem does resurface please let us know. :+1:

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Would like to update the team that the issue is gone on my MacBook with Touchbar! I suppose there is a fix within the recent updates.

macOS 10.14.6
    1Password 7.3.2
    Safari 12.1.2

• I'm glad to hear things are working better. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.