Thoroughly confused - new computer

Hi there,

I downloaded and registered 1password about a year ago. I had it on my old Windows computer and my android phone, with everything syncing nicely to a vault in Dropbox. I bought a new phone a few months ago and setup was seemless.

Then my laptop got stolen. I'm sitting here with my new laptop trying to set it up and am thoroughly confused with what I've now downloaded from 1password.

The setup process pushes you into signing up for an account, which I did because I wasn't sure what else to do. I get that I can transfer my existing vault data into the new account through my phone (and I've linked my currently free trial account to my phone's 1password), where it's all set up. But I was happy with the service I've already paid a substantial amount of money for and want to keep using that. All your material indicates that should be possible.

The help database says I should be able to add my dropbox vault but all the instructions are for 1password 4, not 6. The instructions on how to add my existing registration key point to a menu option that doesn't exist in what I've downloaded today and I cannot find an option for adding an existing vault.

Please help!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cfe,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! I am really sorry for this confusion.

It sounds like you have downloaded 1Password 6 for Windows and created a 1Password account. 1Password 6 is the new app we are building from the ground up and it does not support local vaults and standalone licenses at the moment, it is focused on our subscription-based 1Password.com accounts. If you don't want to use 1Password account and want to stick with a local vault you have been using previously, you should be using 1Password 4 for Windows, not 1Password 6. Let us know if it works for you.

Also, please note that 1Password 4 is an old app and will not get any new features in the future (it will get important security updates). The best way to use 1Password right now is with 1Password account and you can learn more about it on our website:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

It is also important to point out that we are planning to bring local vaults support back in 1Password 7 for Windows, but I do not have any timeframe for you at this point.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we will be happy to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• cfe
    cfe
    Community Member

Hi there,

Sorry it's taken some time to get back to you on this...

I've installed 1p 4 and that's great, but it doesn't play nicely with the Chrome extension... how do I get them talking to each other?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cfe: No worries! We're here any time. Can you tell me more about the problem you're having with Chrome?

Be sure you have the latest 1Password extension installed there:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

And enable Native Messaging in 1Password Help > Advanced.

This discussion has been closed.