Safari 1pw authorization

rchaput
rchaput
Community Member

Frequently, when I launch Safari (11.0) under High Sierra (10.13) I'm asked to authorize. This didn't happen just once. My understanding is that this request for authorization should only happen once. This is very annoying. What, if anything, can be done to disable this repetitive authorization request.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Safari 1pw authorization

Comments

• Thelauffer
    Thelauffer
    Community Member

Hey there,

This topic has also been in this post. A few things I would recommend checking are:

• Restart your Mac
    • Open Safari > Preferences > Privacy and make sure that under "Cookies and Website data" , the box for "block all cookies" is not marked.
    • Reinstall the extension
    • Lastly you might need to contact support to submit a diagnostic.

Hope this helps =)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Hi @rchaput ,

First of all, I just wanted to let you know that I've edited your username slightly. You were using an email address as your forum username, and I've removed the domain portion. We don't recommend using an email address for a username, as this is a public forum, and we don't want you to get any unsolicited email. If you'd like to your username changed to something else, please let me know and we can make that happen.

Now, have the suggestions that @Thelauffer suggested helped clear this issue up for you? We're happy to investigate further if restarting and reinstalling didn't get this resolved.

• rchaput
    rchaput
    Community Member

1PW: 6.8.3
    Ext: 4.6.11
    macOS: 10.13
    DropBox

• rchaput
    rchaput
    Community Member

This feature/bug is really becoming annoying. Each morning when I first invoke Safari (after sleeping), I'm asked to 'authorize' This just started with the most recent update. Is there some setting which will allow me to authorize once?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rchaput,

Did you see the earlier post with suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

If you've followed those steps, could you tell me a bit more about your browser set-up? For example, do you reset your browser or clear your cache frequently?

• duplesa
    duplesa
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I have the exact same issue and I did check to make sure Cookies and Website data is not checked. This happens every time I open 1Password!

I did contact Apple Support and the reply was to contact 1Password as it is the cause of the problem. It happens regardless of which browser I am using.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @duplesa - that's not a problem, and it's not caused by us. If you're syncing via iCloud, Apple has changed the authentication timeout all the way down to 8 hours. For most of us, that's every time we use it. However, next time you see this, when you're taken to the web page that asks for your credentials, make sure to check the box marked "Keep me signed in." This should remedy the issue. :)

• duplesa
    duplesa
    Community Member

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I did that after reading a similar response on another thread

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@duplesa - to be clear, what happens when you're presented with this pop-up. Clicking "OK" on the above dialogue box in your screen-shot does what, exactly (feel free to include another screenshot, if you like)?

• duplesa
    duplesa
    Community Member

When I click on "OK", it takes me to my iCloud sign in page, but the page doesn't open. After a while it gives me an authentication error message..

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@duplesa - when you say "the page doesn't open," what do you mean? Nothing loads? You're never presented with the login page? Never have the chance to enter your Apple ID credentials?

• duplesa
    duplesa
    Community Member

Yes, I can enter my login credentials but nothing loads on the page.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@duplesa -- that's the correct behavior: you just get the spinning circle after entering your information there? Make sure you check the "Keep me signed in" box on that first page. You'll need to do this on every instance of 1Password you're using on every Mac.

• ratso
    ratso
    Community Member

Same issue with the authorization request when starting Safari. Surely after a year of complaints on this issue you have a quick and easy solution on an update?
    Get me off this authorization merry-go-round.

• audiomixer
    audiomixer
    Community Member

Same problem as ratso above. Started today Sunday the 12th with safari. Running 6.8.4. Chrome and Firefox are OK.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Same issue with the authorization request when starting Safari. Surely after a year of complaints on this issue you have a quick and easy solution on an update? Get me off this authorization merry-go-round.

@audiomixer, @ratso: Since you weren't specific, I'm not sure I understand what you're seeing. It could be one of two things:

1. You're being asked to authorize the browser. 1Password doesn't have any control over the browser, where the authentication token is stored. Are you by any chance resetting Safari regularly, or clearing some of its data? That's typically what we see.
    2. You're being asked to authenticate with iCloud. 1Password doesn't have any control over this either, and the only way to continue syncing with iCloud is to sign in. If you check the "Keep me signed in" box, that will get you much longer than the 8 hour iCloud authentication token you will receive otherwise.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• audiomixer
    audiomixer
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@brenty Starting yesterday, Every time I launch safari, it asks to authenticate with a 6 digit code. I hit authenticate but on each launch of safari, it asks again. I have not reset safari in quite sometime. Have tried deleting the 1Password extension and reinstall. No change.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@audiomixer - thanks for the clarification. Since we'll need a closer look at things to give any further opinion that isn't just guesswork, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TKG-46377-861]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @audiomixer only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: TKG-46377-861

• ratso
    ratso
    Community Member

My issue is the same as @audiomixer above. After authorizing it brings up a page from your website.

• audiomixer
    audiomixer
    Community Member

@brenty Done. When I click authorize it says looking for 1password app and then finds it saying its ready to go.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @audiomixer, let's continue the conversation via email. :)

ref: TKG-46377-861

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@ratso - that's the correct behavior: because authorizing the 1Password extension should only happen once (or at least, only when you reinstall either Safari or the extension itself, in other words: not very often), you're presented with the page for new users on how to get started saving and filling passwords. This means the authorization was successful. However, you still shouldn't be seeing it every time you use 1Password in Safari. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

ref: YKD-64914-432

• ratso
    ratso
    Community Member

You should have my diagnostics report. Awaiting your findings.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ratso - not seeing any diagnostic report from you; did you remember to include the ticket ID in the subject line of the email you sent? And did you send it from this email address?

• ratso
    ratso
    Community Member

Sorry about that. Have resent with reference number and yes it was sent from a different email address.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up @ratso - someone will be with you shortly. :)

This discussion has been closed.