To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Dropbox not required? [not used for syncing with 1Password.com accounts]

Options
mstrroissy
mstrroissy
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Memberships

I have been using 1Password for many years and this year signed up for the family plan. It was my understanding that with the new 1Password account, I would no longer need dropbox to sync data (this always seems to be slowest when you need something) as all my vaults would be synchronized via the new account. I have been slow playing with then new features, but today sat down to fix it all up and see my apps are still syncing through dropbox, and the sync tab does not have an option to sync via 1Password. My question is: if I turn of dropbox sync, how does the app know to sync through 1Password accounts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Syncing via 1password.com is automatic if you have the basic setup correct.

You need to move your passwords from the Primary vault (which is the one used for standalone 1PW, and may be set to sync using Dropbox). Put them into the Private or Shared vaults of the family account. And much the same works if you had several vaults in your stand-alone version.

• Hi @mstrroissy,

Danco is correct, with 1Password.com you don't explicitly setup sync, it just happens automatically. You should:

1. Make sure that your 1Password Families account is signed in on your device by going into Preferences > Accounts and make sure that it's there. If not, you'll want to add it.
    2. Make sure that your items have been copied into your 1Password Families account by switching to either the Personal or Shared vaults in the vault switcher in the upper left and making sure that things look good there. If not then you'll want to switch to the Personal vault, then use the Help > Tools > Migrate Primary Vault to Account... menu item.
    3. Once everything looks good, it's time to get rid of the Primary vault. You can do this by going to Preferences > Advanced, and unchecking the checkbox at the bottom about creating vaults outside of 1Password accounts. This will guide you through the process of deleting the Primary vault and unlocking the app via the password for the 1Password Families account.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• helade
    helade
    Community Member
    Options

This thread is very helpful. However, I do not see some options described above in my app. For example, in Preferences > Advanced, I do not see an option for creating vaults outside of 1 Password. Do I need to download the app from 1 Password? I think I got the current one from the App Store.

• Jacob
    edited November 2017
    Options

@helade Sorry about the confusion. Are you using 1Password for Mac or iOS? And are you trying to migrate your data to an account?

This discussion has been closed.