Scoping multiple 1Password accounts to multiple chrome profiles

Options
notpeter
notpeter
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

Browsing some historical threads on the forum I see that there has been discussion how to handle multiple 1Password vaults/accounts when paired with multiple Chrome profiles. Previously I kept this boundaries by using LastPass at work and 1Password for personal only loaded the relevant extension in each. But recently work migrated to 1password teams and now my browser experience is significantly worse. (e.g. selecting amongst a list of half dozen personal Google logins every time I login to my single work Google Apps account)

I understand there are some real UX and binary separation issues. I'm not worried about enforcing a hard separation between profiles (e.g. work chrome can never access a personal password) but instead want the "experience" of vaults scoped to profiles. The fix I purpose it relatively simple and does not require altering the existing security/separation model:

If the user has multiple accounts (Teams, Families, Personal, Local Vaults) in addition to selecting "All Vaults" or an individual vault allow selecting a particular team/family. In this screenshot the red boxes would become clickable areas when more than one account is configured to allow scoping 1password suggestions to a given account.

Additionally since vault-scoping is currently global across all views (toggling it anywhere applies it across all browsers, mini and standalone app) support would need to be added to maintain multiple scope selections (e.g. firefox, chrome work, chrome personal and 1password app). Since I suspect well less than 5% have multiple accounts the default behavior would remain (scope is applied globally) and multiple scopes would only be enabled if user checks a preference checkbox.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: multiple 1password.com accounts

Comments

• Hi @notpeter,

That's an interesting idea. Our 1Password for ChromeOS extension actually has such a feature and it's rather nice. I suspect that it's something that we'll want to roll into our other apps as well in time.

Rick

• shawn_
    shawn_
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I would like this feature as well

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for weighing in @shawn_

This discussion has been closed.