Why do I have to authorize every time I use Safari?

loulou
loulou
Community Member

I have been using Safari for years. I have also been using 1Password for years. Both Safari and 1Password were used in the same years without having to authorize Safari each time I used it. Now I have to do this every time. Why has this changed?

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: OS 10.13
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Why do I have to now authorize every time I use Safari?

Comments

• loulou
    loulou
    Community Member

How do you reinstall 1Password extension in Safari?

1Password Version: 6.8.3
    Extension Version: 4.6.11
    OS Version: OS 10.13
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:How do you reinstall 1Password extension in Safari?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @loulou! I hope you don't mind that I merged your two threads, since they seemed to be on related topics. Can I ask: how are you syncing your 1Password data?

• loulou
    loulou
    Community Member

Through Dropbox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@loulou - When you say you have to "authorize Safari," can you tell us a little more about what specific steps produce the result you're seeing, or perhaps take a screenshot of the authorization window you see, and post it here? Thanks.

• loulou
    loulou
    Community Member

It's like taking your car into the shop and when you say this or that happens, it no longer happens. I think it magically must have fixed itself. Usually, I do take screenshots but this time I didn't. I was so surprised that instead of going into my investigating mode I went into my annoyed mode. Probably too late at night. The best I can recall is that everytime this would happen (probably I opened Safari and closed it 6 or 7 times), each time I opened it, the message for the 1Password extension would appear even though I already had the extension in Safari. This would show up each time I finished comparing the numbers to make sure they matched and clicked the authorization process. My memory of the screen was 6 large (thank goodness) numbers to compare. They always matched. Other than that I can't remember much more.

Hope this helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@loulou -- it helps us understand what you saw/experienced, but unfortunately I'm afraid it's not much help in terms of diagnosing a problem that no longer exists. I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not. Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you.

• loulou
    loulou
    Community Member

Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

You're quite welcome, @loulou! Drop by anytime if there's anything we can do to assist. :)

• asflyboy
    asflyboy
    Community Member

Every time I open Safari I get "Compare this code to the the one shown in 1Password”. There is another window that opens with the same code in it. Again, every time I open Safari.

• bradstew
    bradstew
    Community Member

This is happening to me as well. Running latest version of Safari, High Sierra, 1Password, syncing through iCloud. I'm asked to authorize Safari on each launch of the browser. Authorization is always successful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @asflyboy and @bradstew! Since you're having identical problems to one another, I'll address you both here. Do you have a utility set to reset Safari on close? I.E. - wipe cookies and other local storage? If so, that's definitely your issue. If not, there are a few other things that might cause such problems. Can you each tell me what your practice is (if any) for resetting Safari?

• asflyboy
    asflyboy
    Community Member

Lars,

I just close Safari in the conventional manner command Q or with the menu.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@asflyboy -- thanks for that, but I didn't mean how do you close Safari, but whether you either manually or using a cache cleaning tool regularly reset Safari, clear history and cookies, etc. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

• asflyboy
    asflyboy
    Community Member

Lars,
    I do not regularly reset Safari. The machine I’m having problems with was just upgraded to Mac OS High Sierra so I wouldn’t think it would need resetting so soon. I just upgraded last week.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@asflyboy -- it doesn't need resetting (or, it shouldn't this soon after an upgrade of macOS). The reason I was asking is because clearing the cache will also remove the 1Password authorization.

Are you using any kind of http proxy or anti-virus software or VPN?

• asflyboy
    asflyboy
    Community Member

Nope

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@asflyboy -- OK, thanks for that info. At this point, to get a better idea of what's going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#LFC-54147-597]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @asflyboy only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

• asflyboy
    asflyboy
    Community Member

@Lars

Ok uninstalling the extension for Safari and reinstalling it did the trick. Thank You.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@asflyboy - Excellent! I'm glad that worked for you. Feel free to drop by anytime, if you have further questions or issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.