Using 1Password personally and for Teams

Options

I've been using 1Password personally on my phone and desktop browsers and love it. I now want my team to start using it and was in the process of setting up a trial when I thought - am I going to have to keep logging in and out of my two accounts (personal and teams) on my phone and desktop app. That would drive me crazy (I think).

Is there a solution so a single iOS and desktop app can easily access both my personal 1password vault and the teams one?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @philthyphil

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this question. I’d be happy to help answer it.

When you add multiple accounts to our native 1Password applications you have access to both/all accounts simultaneously. It isn’t necessary (or really practical) to completely sign out of one to sign into the other. You’ll use the Master Password of the first account that you add to 1Password to unlock the app. You can then either view all of your vaults combined (the default selection) or use the vault switcher to view each of them individually (no separate login required).

When using the 1Password.com website it works a bit differently and you do in fact need to sign into each account separately.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• philthyphil
    philthyphil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, that sounds good.

Can I ask something else. The person that purchased our original 1Password licence (years ago) did not create an account and can't find an Emergency Kit, so we can't find our secret key.

So for my personal stuff I need to start again with a new 1Password licence I think, and set up an account and get my Emergency Kit, etc. So is there a way I can get all my data from my current vault and import into the new one, without having to re-enter all my info?

Once I've done that I can do the Teams thing.

• Ben
    Options

Certainly. :) You can find instructions on migrating from a standalone license with a local vault to a 1Password.com membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

:)

Ben

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member
    Options

I was just now looking for this exact scenario. I have a 1Password iOS app when you could just buy the app. I then convinced my boss to get a Teams account for work.

So now on my iPhone I am able to use my Personal Account, and my Teams account,

On my MacBook and iMac I am able to use my Teams account.

So when I get a personal subscription, I now will need to migrate my data over, and I guess on all my devices I will now be able to use Personal and Teams account?

And if I leave my job, I obviously retain my personal account, and the Teams account just disappears?

Is it fairly trivial to migrate my Personal account to a subscription? My personal account is only on my iPhone. Thank you very much. This is such a superior product to all others.

• Ben
    Options

That is the essence of it, yes @jeff2000. To migrate your data from your personal standalone setup to an individual 1Password.com membership you can find instructions here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thank you @Ben. So I went ahead and got a personal subscription. On the iOS app all my data from Primary vault was automatically migrated to my new Personal vault.

However, when I went to delete my Primary vault the app asked for my Master password of course. But I was also asked for my Master password of my Teams account which I have on my iPhone as well. Why? I aborted. Worried it wants to delete my Teams account as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jeff2000: Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Just to clarify, there is no way to delete your entire 1Password.com account in the apps; that would need to be done through the 1Password.com web interface, and you'd have to confirm that's what you want to do.

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member
    Options

So you can see when I goto delete my old Primary vault, I am asked for the password for the Primary vault, and then for my Teams too which I am not sure why.

• Ben
    Options

Ah. Yes, the reason for that is because that is how 1Password will unlock in the future (after deleting the Primary vault).

To give a little background... When a Primary vault exists 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of that vault. But when no Primary vault exists and only 1Password accounts are used 1Password instead unlocks with the Master Password of the first 1Password account that was added to the app (in this case, your 1Password Teams account).

If you'd rather have 1Password unlock with the Master Password of your individual 1Password account you can uninstall & reinstall the app, add your individual account first, and then add the 1Password Teams account. Uninstalling will also get rid of the Primary vault.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jeff2000
    jeff2000
    Community Member
    Options

Now it makes perfect sense!! Than you.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• djibouti33
    djibouti33
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Ben, I have a question that seems similar enough to this question so I figured I wouldn't open up a separate one. I've been using 1Password since 2013, before subscriptions existed. I want to get my team on 1Password as well. Will my personal "static license" + my team's subscription work together? Will I be forced to upgrade my personal license to a subscription?

Thanks!

Kevin

• Ben
    Options

Hi Kevin ( @djibouti33 ),

You can use the two in conjunction. You do not need to move to a 1Password membership for your personal data in order to be part of a 1Password Teams membership.

One thing of note is that 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of your Primary vault, even after you add a 1Password Teams account.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.