1Password 7

Options
Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member

We had the teaser tweet earlier this week. When will we hear more?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Penelope Pitstop As much as I'd like to give you more backstory, I really can't -- and not just because the developers get justifiably grumpy when we start publicly announcing dates-certain here on the forum, but because we really don't know for certain. You've been with us long enough to know we tend to prefer to ship updates and especially major version upgrades when they're ready, not in an attempt to hit an arbitrary timeline, and this time is no different.

I can tell you that I'm as eager as you are to get my hands on the new version, but anything I said here by way of trying to answer your question would be nothing more than a best guess, and subject to a fair number of factors, many of which are beyond our control. I know it sounds corny, but "stay tuned" is the best advice I've got for you. It's not going to be today or tomorrow, but it's also no longer in the "at some point" category, either. Exciting times! :)

• 3gswish
    3gswish
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1PW for years, and I'm praying daily that my vaults that work with my current 1pw4-win/1pw6-mac will still work with 1pw7-win/1pw6-mac. Can you confirm yet if my 1pw life is ending as we know it? ;)

1pw6-mac is perfect, I can get to both of my vaults from the browser extensions - AT THE SAME TIME! :) :) :)

If that will work the same in 1pw7-win, and can be shared with 1pw6-mac, then I'll be in heaven... otherwise...

Not only for passwords of course, but I am looking into using 1PW as my cross browser bookmark sync app.... Thoughts?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is 7 any different to the 6.10 beta? Or just a rename for the public release?

@BrokenHope: I think we'll have to wait and see. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

I've been using 1PW for years, and I'm praying daily that my vaults that work with my current 1pw4-win/1pw6-mac will still work with 1pw7-win/1pw6-mac. Can you confirm yet if my 1pw life is ending as we know it? ;)
    1pw6-mac is perfect, I can get to both of my vaults from the browser extensions - AT THE SAME TIME! :) :) :)
    If that will work the same in 1pw7-win, and can be shared with 1pw6-mac, then I'll be in heaven... otherwise...
    Not only for passwords of course, but I am looking into using 1PW as my cross browser bookmark sync app.... Thoughts?
    Thanks!

@3gswish: My first thought is, thank you for such kind words! It's really great to hear how much you love 1Password 4 and 6! And the good news is that we've already announced that both the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password 7 will support local vaults. We don't have anything to announce with regard to bookmarks, but many of us already use Logins this way today. Cheers! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrokenHope - Not sure what platform you're referring to, but don't be surprised if there are a few more surprises out there for you. ;)

• Catalin1P
    Catalin1P
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 7 is live on the iOS App Store. It looks awesome thank you guys!

Before updating to 1Password 7 on my iOS device I had the version 6.9.1 but the release notes for this version are missing. https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPI4

Can't wait to see 1Password 7 for the Mac and Windows. Congratulations for a polished product8 Now I just have to wait for my iPhone X to arrive.

• Ben
    Options

I’ll let the team know about the missing notes for 6.9.1. Thanks for pointing that out! And thanks for the kind words. :)

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Just updated for iOS. Looks great!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @prime. :)

Ben

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben a little constructive feedback, the release notes might benefit from some hyperlinks. For example, the keyboard shortcut section could have a link to the relevant iOS support article. I had to go searching for it to find out what shortcuts were enabled.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Penelope Pitstop. I’ll be sure to pass that message along to the folks who write them. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

With iOS 11.1 released, I am updating my devices and 1Password as well. I'm liking the iPad Dock.

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• Sorrel
    Sorrel
    Community Member
    Options

When the day for 7 comes I think a lot of us will need to make a decision as to how we want to upgrade (or not). I hope there will be enough documentation - maybe even a trial? - so that we can make an informed choice.

I'm on an old family license which I bought a long time ago; I need to keep it working for everyone in my family but also consider home and work needs - local vaults are a consideration. I'm guessing there is not likely to be a family upgrade to an equivalent of my current license, so knowing what I might be paying for in detail is very important.

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    Options

@Sorrel Yeah, I was Equifaxed (yes it is a rude verb), so not worried anymore about keeping my SS# in the cloud, and work does use cloud-based managers (not this one, the one that is red and in the news 3 times a year), but I have to tell you I do like the web access when needed and not having to worry or deal with upgrades or sync settings across X number of platforms.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

The same as @Sorrel, I have a family license (version 6 for Windows and OS X). I definitely don't want my vaults in the cloud, and so want to continue managing my own files. Could someone direct me to the official page (or FAQ section) that explains what my options are for upgrading to 7?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @PaulD -- If you're actively using 1Password 6 for Windows, then by definition your vaults are already "in the cloud," as version 6 for Windows only works with 1password.com account vaults, not local vaults.

If that's the case, however, don't panic -- neither we nor anyone else can decrypt nor make use of your data. If you meant you're using 1Password 4 for Windows, then you may have an all-local setup. You may want to check version numbers for your 1Password apps, to make sure you're not using local vaults in one app and an account on the other platform.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Sorry, I'm using version 4 for Windows and 6 for OS X. An answer to my question would be appreciated.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulD - If what you're looking for is a detailed upgrade path with prices and breakdowns, then I'm afraid such a thing does not exist, yet. I can tell you that unless you purchased a standalone license quite recently, 1Password 7 will be a paid upgrade for you, but the specifics? That I can't give you just yet. Not because I won't, but because we really haven't finalized it just yet. I will say that the upcoming 1Password 7 upgrade will be a great time for most users to evaluate how they want to pay for 1Password, going forward. It'll be a great time to either re-commit to purchasing standalone licenses for all platforms you use, or subscribing to a 1Password membership. Stay tuned!

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

So version 7 doesn't force you into a subscription or to use the cloud? If you could confirm this, and it's true in both cases, then I'll be happy! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulD: 1Password for iOS version 7 has the same purchase and sync options as 1Password 6. :)

• Urvaksh
    Urvaksh
    Community Member
    Options

not receiving the 1Password 7 update. am on iOS 10.2. Any idea why? thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Urvaksh - that would be it - iOS 10.2. 1Password 7 requires iOS 11, so it'll be waiting for you whenever you decide to upgrade! :)

• Urvaksh
    Urvaksh
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Urvaksh :+1: :)

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I don't get it - where is the standalone price at the moment, even if it's for 1Password 6? I can only find the subscription price.

https://1password.com/sign-up/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulD - If you're looking to purchase a standalone license for 1Password for Windows, that's not available right now. Because of the split between version 4 and 6 (6 is newer but only works with 1password.com accounts, 4 is a legacy app but still works for standalone vaults in Windows 7-10), we don't have a standalone Windows app for sale right now. As soon as 1Password 7 for Windows is released, this discrepancy will be resolved, as version 7 will be able to handle both standalone vaults and 1password.com accounts. But until then, we are not selling a standalone version of 1Password for Windows, as version 4 is simply too old.

• PaulD
    PaulD
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Lars Thanks for the explanation about windows. What about 1Password 6 for OS X?

This discussion has been closed.