1Password on one Windows user account only

Options

Hello,

I'm using 1Password on a shared computer at work. Can I make 1Password to be installed on my user account only?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7/10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Hoggorm,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, 1Password 6 is a single-user installer. It will only install to your user account, not to all users on that computer.

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, that is not what I experience on the mentioned computer at work...

After install I receive complaints from my coworkers who receive update notice from 1Password on their account (when 1Password is outdated). And one colleague complains that every time he presses Alt Gr - ' to open symbols in Microsoft Word, logged in on his own account, 1Password Login popup appears...

• @Hoggorm: What version of 1Password are you using on the PC -- 1Password 4 or 1Password 6? Thanks! :+1:

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

The current version installed is 4.6.2.626

I just tested with a colleague and he was able to open something that looks like the Login Keyboard Shortcut using Alt Gr + ' Even though I have CTRL + ' in settings.
    He could not find 1Password installed on his user, neither in the programs list from the Start menu, nor when searching for 1Password.

• @Hoggorm: Does your colleague see the extension icon in his browser? Also, if he checks his running processes, does he see any 1Password-related processes running? Finally, could you check if your colleague sees different behavior if you quit 1Password 4 (don't just minimize it to tray, quit it entirely) before switching users? Thanks and apologies for the endless questions. I checked my installation and 1Password 4 did, indeed, install in Program Files by default, but what I see on my secondary user differs somewhat from what you're experiencing as I do see the main app itself, so I want to make sure I have a full understanding of what you're seeing before advising you change install locations. :+1:

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

Please do not apologize :) I'm happy you would like to assist.

Previously the install was under Program Files, but now it is under my user folder. Maybe that is why you see the app on the other user, while I do not? I believe 1Password did appear in the other accounts when it was installed under the Program Files folder. I was hoping that moving to the user folder would limit the software to my user only. Unfortunately, it did not work...

My colleague sees no extension in either Chrome nor Internet Explorer. In the running processes one can see the following:

1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe - My user
    Agile1pAgent.exe *32 - My user
    Agile1pAgent.exe *32 - His user

Back in my user account I try to close 1Password both via File - Exit and the red X in the upper right corner. Although it seems to close 1Password there is still an icon in the tray.

So, I go to the running processes and closes the three above mentioned tasks. Back in my colleague’s user account I now see this:

1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe - My user
    Agile1pAgent.exe *32 - My user

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Previously the install was under Program Files, but now it is under my user folder. Maybe that is why you see the app on the other user, while I do not?

@Hoggorm: It sounds like you may have a permissions issue there.

My colleague sees no extension in either Chrome nor Internet Explorer. In the running processes one can see the following:

That makes sense. The Internet Explorer add-on is installed with the app installer. There is no way to install that otherwise, as it also requires admin privileges and registry entires to be created. The Chrome (or other browser) extensions need to be installed from our website:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Back in my user account I try to close 1Password both via File - Exit and the red X in the upper right corner. Although it seems to close 1Password there is still an icon in the tray.

The main 1Password window and Helper (Agile1pAgent.exe, in the notification area) are separate apps, so you'll need to kill the latter in Task Manager. You can disable Agile1pAgent.exe running on startup if you wish. It sounds like that will be the key, since the other user account will not be able to use it if it's already in use by yours.

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

I might be misunderstanding, or have made myself a bit unclear, but regarding a permission issue I made that change myself. It was I who changed the install location from Program Files to my user account folder. It does not happen by itself. Either way the result is the same if 1Password is installed in Program Files or under my user folder.

Moving the install files from Program Files to my user folder was an attempt to fix the issue, however it did not make any difference...

• @Hoggorm: Did you uninstall 1Password and reinstall to the user folder or did you move the files without uninstalling? I'm going a bit beyond my certain knowledge here, but since the installer does more than just add the files themselves, I could imagine skipping the uninstall may leave you in an undesirable state. If you haven't already, could you try uninstalling completely and reinstalling to your chosen location in your user folder? This will not affect your 1Password data (stored in Documents or Dropbox, depending on your setup) and will only uninstall the app itself. Let me know if this nets any change in behavior. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

I did indeed uninstall first, then I downloaded the latest standalone version from the website and installed it to the new location under my user folder

• @Hoggorm: Good to know, thanks! My final recommendation for now is to try a reboot and see if anything changes. In the meantime, I'm going to do some additional testing now that I know a bit more about your issue to see if I can reproduce this. I had a quick chat with our engineering team and it sounds like this could potentially be a bug, so I'm going to spend some time to see what I can find out. :+1:

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hoggorm: I have to admit that while I thought I understood what you'd done here initially, now I'm not so sure. Can you break it down for me step by step what you did so I can try to reproduce it? I'm not sure there's a solution for this since it is intentional that 1Password on one user profile cannot interact with others, but I'd like to have a clearer picture of things.

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, I'll try to explain:

At work we are five people using the same computer. Everyone has their own user account and since I use 1Password a lot I installed it a long time ago when I was logged in to my account. It was then installed to its default location since I did not expect any issues.

After I installed 1Password some of my coworkers have "complained" that they received update notices from 1Password (and asked if it was I who installed it). I've confirmed that it was I who installed it but I never did anything about it since the update notices do not happen that often, and once I log in and install the update the notice won't show up until next time anyway.

What happened last week was that one of my colleagues, who use the computer a bit more than the rest of us, complained that when he pressed Alt Gr + ' (a key combination he uses to access the Microsoft Office Symbols chart) would open a 1Password window that looks a bit like the window I get when pressing the keys for Login Keyboard Shortcut. For this I've set Ctrl + ' and I cannot in the 1Password preferences see what Alt Gr + ' is and why it opens anything. It does however do the same as the Login Keyboard Shortcut on another computer that runs 1Password (although this key command is not set as a preference on that computer either (Ctrl+' is set on that computer as well))

To try to fix this problem I uninstalled 1Password last week, downloaded the latest standalone version and reinstalled using my user account as destination (instead of the default Program Files destination). After yet again testing with my coworker he was still able to use Alt Gr + ' after I moved the install from Program Files to my user folder so I started this thread.

I have three issues in this matter:

1 - It is unfortunate that users who do not use 1Password receive notification alerts when an update is available. This could lead to other users uninstalling 1Password because they do not use it, do not know what it is and do not know who installed it.

2 - Why is the Alt Gr + ‘ command working on a user account who have not installed or set up 1Password? It is obviously an irritation when that pops up every time he presses a command he uses frequently

3 - Why does the Alt Gr + ' command open up the login keyboard shortcut on my computer (logged in to my account) when I have set another key combination to do this?

The solution to these problems would be that users who do not use 1Password get no notifications of updates available. Only the user who installed the software get that.

1Password should also honor the keyboard combination set in Login Keyboard Shortcut and not use anything else, especially when the user has not installed or is not using 1Password...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hoggorm: I think this is the source of the confusion: 1Password is installed for all users. There is no option to installed it for a single user, as it operates out of the Program Files (x86) folder, like most Windows desktop (Win32) apps. If 1Password is set to run in the background, it will listen for its keyboard shortcut (which can be changed in Preferences > General, but we do not have control over keyboard layouts) and check for updates, as it is designed to do. We're not going to be able to rearchitect 1Password 4 just for this specific use case. The solution is to set Agile1PAgent.exe to launch on startup in your user account, and then your colleagues need only make sure it isn't set to in theirs.

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

I see...

I can not find any keyboard shortcuts in Preferences > General

In Preferences > Logins however I have set Ctrl + '

So where does Alt Gr + ' come into play? I guess you can open Login keyboard shortcuts from your system too using Alt Gr + '

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

I see... I can not find any keyboard shortcuts in Preferences > General

@Hoggorm: Yeah... Sorry. That was my mistake. I meant Preferences > Logins. :sweat:

In Preferences > Logins however I have set Ctrl + '
    So where does Alt Gr + ' come into play? I guess you can open Login keyboard shortcuts from your system too using Alt Gr + '

I couldn't tell you. I don't have anything like that on my keyboard. I just know other users have mentioned it. If that keyboard combination is generating that on your system or conflicting with something else, you can always change 1Password's keyboard shortcut. :)

• Hoggorm
    Hoggorm
    Community Member
    Options

I see. Thank you for looking into it anyway.

• Please do let us know if you find out.

One thing is that if you've changed the shortcut recently but not yet restart 1Password Helper, that might be the issue sometimes. Try Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper in the main 1Password interface to see if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.