Guest users... an amazing feature!

prime
prime
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Families

So we have a Mac Mini that’s used for media use (movies, iTunes, and stuff). Well since we moved to the Family set up, I never set up 1Password for it. Everything was logged on already, and there wasn’t a point. Well we got Amazon Prime, and a over 40 character password for that account.

I’ve been wanting to put 1Password back on the Mac Mini, but I wasn’t sure how. I wanted something that my wife can also access. The old way (Dropbox) we had both our vaults on it, but I never liked it. So I remembered the guest accounts, and I figured I would give it a shot. I remembered when I was “drilling” @brenty 1Password for Families, he did tell me about the guests users. So glad for this!

I set it up, had a vault already ready for this guest user, and it’s an amazing feature! Now we have all of the entertainment stuff easy access to the Mac Mini, not using an actual user account, so it doesn’t count against the 1Password For Families users! I saved the master password in a vault that my wife and I share.

Now my only complaint. I wish the guest got a Welcome Package like a normal user did. I was able to get the secrecy key saved in my account, but the welcome stuff is great.

People, the Guest Users are GREAT for a shared computer that the family all uses that you want all family members to access.

Thanks AgileBits! (And @brenty for the help when I was learning about 1Password for Families)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Aww thanks! Glad I was able to help. Guests aren't perfect for all cases, but I've found them extremely useful.

I set it up, had a vault already ready for this guest user, and it’s an amazing feature! Now we have all of the entertainment stuff easy access to the Mac Mini, not using an actual user account, so it doesn’t count against the 1Password For Families users! I saved the master password in a vault that my wife and I share.

However, that's something that would have never occurred to me. Thank you for sharing this!

Now my only complaint. I wish the guest got a Welcome Package like a normal user did. I was able to get the secrecy key saved in my account, but the welcome stuff is great.

I think that may be an oversight. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll look into it.

ref: b5-3370

People, the Guest Users are GREAT for a shared computer that the family all uses that you want all family members to access.

Yeah, I could see that working well on a family iPad or something too. Very cool! :chuffed:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty

Yeah, I could see that working well on a family iPad or something too. Very cool!

Very true! This idea also great for parents and kids. A parent can do this for kids who are learning, but the parents want to keep track of thier kids logins.

I just never knew how valuable this little feature is. I made it so a person can’t change the passwords on this either (read only), so there isn’t an ooops... even though there are back ups.

Again, thanks AgileBits!

• @prime: My partner and I actually do the exact same thing on our media PC in the living room! My folks will often stay here to look after our zoo while we're away and we struggled for a while with how to get media logins (both theirs and ours) on that PC without swapping which of us is signed in depending on who is using the PC at the time. Guest user did the trick! It's great to no longer have to pull up passwords on my phone because I don't want to share my Master Password, plus everyone has access to dump logins there as we see fit. I'm with you 100% -- guest users are underappreciated for sure. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: A colleague pointed out to me something you and I both missed: guests don't have a Personal/Private vault, so it's very intentional that there isn't a Welcome Package — whomever shared the vault with them would then have access to their account credentials if we saved them there automatically. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty I figured that’s why, but the guest account does have a secret key and master password. I like the welcome kits, they are a life saver!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Well, then you're smarter and/or more well-rested than I was earlier! Just didn't occur to me at the time. You can always create your own Welcome-Kit-type-deal — very useful even if there's good reason not to have it generated automatically in this case. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@brenty that’s what I kind of did. Not an issue, but I thought I point it out. Still love this feature!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.