To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Password Suddenly Rejected

Options

I have been using 1password for awhile, at least a few years. I have it installed in my browser as an extension, Firefox, and I use a Mac. For some odd reason, all of a sudden it does not recognize my password. I'm 99% sure I'm putting in the right one (it's the same one I've always used, and unless I'm losing my mind, I'm remembering it as correctly today as I did yesterday and the day before that...). But today it says it's an incorrect password. Nothing else has changed, that I'm aware of--no updates, no software changes. What could be going on? *updated to add: when I tried to check to see what 1password version I'm using, it says it was most recently updated a few days ago. Could something with the update have caused it to reject my password? If so, what do I do?

1Password Version: I don't know
Extension Version: I don't know
OS Version: OS X El Capital 10.11.6
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

*updated to add: when I tried to check to see what 1password version I'm using, it says it was most recently updated a few days ago. Could something with the update have caused it to reject my password? If so, what do I do?

@minnesotanice88: I don't know what you're referring to. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, perhaps you're using a different input method than you were previously. Thanks in advance! :)

• minnesotanice88
    minnesotanice88
    Community Member
    Options

Good news—I shut down and restarted my computer and now it’s working ☺️ Thanks for your time brenty.

• joghurt
    joghurt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same troubles ... and unfortunately neither multiple restarts helped, nor resetting 1password and choosing a new password. After a few futile tries the application gives me the hint for my old password -- but doesn't accept it either :-(

I'm using a Macbook with OS 10.11.6 and the latest version of 1password.

Thanks for helping!

• meike
    meike
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    me too :(

after doing an OS X clean update to Sierra, I tried to restore my data from my backup.
    Now 1password ist rejecting my master password. Did I made a mistake while restoring the old files?
    I copied the 1password-app to my apps folder (and reinstalled it several times via appstore). I copied the folder application support, the license and the keychain.
    Would be happy if I could get help here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Now 1password ist rejecting my master password. Did I made a mistake while restoring the old files?

@meike: It really depends on what you did exactly. It does seem like the timing may be significant.

Just to be clear, 1Password doesn't care about your Master Password; it only uses it as an input to decrypt the data, since it was used to encrypt it in the first place. So if you restore older data that was encrypted using a different Master Password, or the data is damaged, your current Master Password will not work to decrypt it.

Does any of that ring a bell? I'd be interested to know why you restored from a backup, and what was involved in that. If you were having serious hardware or file system issues, I'd expect that you'd have this kind of trouble, either because you're still using the same bad hardware, or because the data was corrupted by it before you moved to a new machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@minnesotanice88: Thanks for letting me know! Glad it was just a temporary problem. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm having the same troubles ... and unfortunately neither multiple restarts helped, nor resetting 1password and choosing a new password. After a few futile tries the application gives me the hint for my old password -- but doesn't accept it either :-(

@joghurt: Without knowing more about the circumstances and versions involved, we'll just be guessing. We won't be able to fix your data or recover/reset your Master Password for you, but please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

Keep in mind that 1Password will use the Master Password of the first account/vault setup there to unlock, so if you have more than one it wouldn't be unheard of to be confused by that. Let me know what you find!

• meike
    meike
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your answer

The hardware is ok, the shop just built in a new ssd. I made a clean new install with OS X Sierra on my Mac. Than I copied all my data from a backup, not only the 1Password things, but applications, user library, documents, pictures, movies and so on. Where does 1password stores the master password. Maybe I missed to copy it or some other important thing.
    Best regards, Meike

• @meike: Do you have access to your data on other devices, by chance? Your Master Password isn't stored in the strictest sense. Your vault is encrypted with a key derived from your Master Password (and your Secret Key, if you use a 1Password account) and 1Password will derive a key from the Master Password you enter as well to determine whether it's correct.

If your Master Password is working on other devices, your best bet may be to start from scratch and sync up with those devices, but again, as Brenty mentioned 1Password will unlock with the Master Password for the first vault or account you added to the app, so if you have more than one vault/account on other devices it is possible your secondary vaults/accounts have different Master Passwords which you would need to know to sync those vaults. You can always copy items between vaults if it turns out some have Master Passwords you don't know, but it's just something to be aware of in planning next steps. :+1:

• meike
    meike
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

I have one single account, no membership.
    I have two agilekeychains.
    One on my home computer, where I can't login anymore (read above).
    One on another Mac at work, which works perfectly with its own mastermass.
    Those two keychains are both stored local and don't sync.
    I copied my work-keychain to my home mac for a try, but it doesn't work with either masterpassword.

My license is ok, I have the newest versions of 1pw6.

I can't create a new vault, all the "create new" things ar grayed out, so
    how should I start new from scratch?

I remember that I could change the path to keychain in Menu "Einstellungen" dont know if its called preferences in english.
    So again my question what have to copy from backup to new computer.

So what do I have exactly to do to start a new vault with a new masterpass.
    Can I and if yes how can I sync the new vault with my existing old working machine vault?
    Are there any tutorials for that?

Thanks in advance and
    best regards
    Meike

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@meike: AH, thanks for clarifying. Just so we're on the same page, if you don't have a 1Password.com membership, you won't have an "account" at all, and therefore no "login" associated with your data. It sounds like that's the case, if you're using the standalone app with local vaults (AgileKeychain). If you would like to start over completely, you can reset the app:

How to reset your 1Password data and start over

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.