Migrating from 3.8.20 desktop (mac) to subscription

Options

I am trying to upgrade from my (very) old desktop versions of 1Password to the new subscription-based functionality. I attempted to follow the instructions at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/, however, it appears my version of 1Password is so old that these instructions do not apply. Specifically, it says to click on the "Accounts" icon on the Preferences window, but my Preferences does not have any such Accounts information (see attached screenshot).

Please let me know how I can migrate my years of passwords from my prior versions (I have it on Mac, Windows, and iPhone) to use the new subscription-based approach. I just bought a new Windows laptop and don't know how I can get my 1Password data on it since there is no longer a desktop version.

Thanks,
Mark

1Password Version: 3.8.20
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark_meloon: Yep, the bad news is that 1Password 3 was created many years before 1Password.com accounts existed, so that won't work for you. The good news is that it's fully supported in the new version, and that can also read your existing data. Please do the following:

1. Verify that you have all of your data in 1Password 3. I say this because the extension you're using is very old, and it's possible that you have data stuck there that isn't in the app.
    2. Install the latest version of 1Password.
    3. Open your existing AgileKeychain vault (as shown in your screenshot) in 1Password 6 (this may happen automatically when you open the app the first time).
    4. Migrate your data to your 1Password.com account.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mark_meloon
    mark_meloon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty,

I'm a little confused about the upgrading-to-version-6 process. Is that a new purchase? Jenn from Tech Support directed me to the following page: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ where it states:

"If you purchased 1Password 3 for Mac on our AgileBits Store any time after January 1, 2013, you already have a license for 1Password 6 for Mac."

Unfortunately, I purchased 1Password version 3 in 2012. So I'm not clear if my existing license will work or whether I have to purchase version 6 in order to get things to work.

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, but with several years of password data I want to be very careful not to lose it.

Thanks,
    Mark

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@mark_meloon: Indeed, only 1Password 3 was even in existence when you purchased, so you won't have an upgrade to an app we hadn't made yet. Have you tried what I suggested? Definitely do. I'll shoot you an email in a bit in case you need additional help. I'll close this discussion so there aren't three (or more) people trying to have a conversation in multiple places.

ref: MTS-29777-799

This discussion has been closed.