To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

2 Factor Authentication for 1password?

Options
Winston_hop
Winston_hop
Community Member

I love 1Password 6 and how the agilebits team is so diligent to help! You guys have helped me several times over email. You're awesome!

I'm upping my security on everything that I can. Updated and better passwords, and two-factor authentication. I'm wondering if 2FA is planned for 1Password in the future when signing in new devices? Email or text codes, backup codes, or something that works with like Google Authenticator or Authy.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Winston_hop - Thanks for the kind words! We're glad you feel well-taken-care-of here; that's definitely one of our goals. :)

With regard to 2FA for 1Password, there already is Duo authentication for 1Password Teams accounts, and if all goes well, we hope that will filter out into the rest of 1password.com. We also have TOTP already available for 1Password items

However, in terms of a 1Password native application installed on a private device, with local vaults, we've no plans currently to implement Google Authenticator or Authy for the 1Password app itself, because if someone's already in possession of your device, they already have access to the raw data file, which is what any competent hacker would extract to run cracking attempts on. 1Password is designed - indeed, must be designed - with the ability to withstand attacks and remain secure even if your data are physically in someone else's hands. Adding a second authentication factor to the app UI wouldn't be of much use in such a case, as the 1Password UI isn't how a sophisticated adversary would try to decrypt your data anyway: they'd just bypass it and go to the raw data file. Thanks for the question!

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @Winston_hop ! With the launch of 1Password Business, we've also added two-factor authentication for all types of 1Password accounts. That means you can set it up with a personal account, a family one, or a team one from your profile page.

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

If you have some questions, feel free to let us know. Hope you like it. :blush:

• lookingforentropy
    lookingforentropy
    Community Member
    Options

Jacob - Just wanted to say THANK YOU for implementing this! When people ask what I don't like about 1Password, I always cite that as one of my primary complaints.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, we don't want you to think that it will allow you to safely use 1Password in risky situations (spoiler: it won't), but we're glad to be able to offer this now, especially since some businesses require this. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.