Where’s the browser button? [Removed; long press on the tab bar to active 1Browser]

Options
seedy
seedy
Community Member
edited November 2017 in iOS

Please tell me this is a mistake and not an intentional removal of a much used feature?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

The button is gone to free up some much needed space, but 1Browser is still there if you need it. You can access it by tapping on the website field of any login item.

Ben

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

Extremely disappointing. I’m finding returning to a previously logged-in website is awkward now as I’m constantly being asked to log in again despite already being so. This very site as a good example returns a big red error message.
    I can’t just open a browser to use Google anymore without having to open a saved site first, forcing me to save Google as a favourite.
    And it took up only a small amount of space - it hasn’t been replaced by anything.
    Not impressed sorry guys, hope I can roll back to 6.

• Ben
    Options

We did add keyboard shortcuts, so if you've got a keyboard you can ⌘5 to go to 1Browser and ⌘4 to go back to the main app. That may be more convenient.

We’d highly recommend using the 1Password browser extension in Safari:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

It isn’t possible to return to v6.

Ben

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

@seedy

Can you not just create a blank entry called "1Browser" and then put in a website?

https://

or

https://www.google.com

By naming it 1Browser the entry should be at the top of your list. You could even make it a favourite.

When you click on the 1Browser link you'd get a blank page (or Google) and you could then click the small squares icon at the bottom of the page to view all the already opened pages.

It's not a perfect solution but it should work for what you need it to do.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks @darrenNZ I appreciate your input. I guess I’ll try the Safari extension as suggested by @ben .
    Problem is I don’t use my favourites in Safari, I use my 1Password data. I can now no longer navigate to a website without typing it out first, then logging in via the 1pw Safari extension.

Furthermore my browsing isn’t protected behind touch-id/password using Safari as it was with 1PW<7

I can’t help but wonder why this function has been removed when it really wasn’t using that much space. Come on guys, was this a bandwidth or some other problem?

All very disappointing. This app no longer works as it did when I recently decided to pay for a subscription.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017
    Options

There was a fairly extensive discussion about this in our iOS beta forum when the change was made in beta:

Why have you made it so hard to switch between 1Browser and the main app? — AgileBits Support Forum

I’m sorry to hear you’re disappointed, but perhaps some of the comments in that thread will be helpful.

Ben

• Also long pressing on the tab bar will bring up 1Browser.

Rudy

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy I love you !!!!!!!
    Thank you

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

STOP PRESS!

@seedy , @Ben

I can't believe we've all missed this! I've just looked at the option seedy was talking about and, lo and behold, you can load 1Browser without needing to click a link!

Press and hold any of the four icons (Favourites, Categories, Organise, Settings) or the space in-between for approximately 2 seconds and 1Browser appears.

In fact it you go into Settings, 1Browser it even says:

"You can activate 1Browser by tapping on a web address in an item or pressing and holding the tab bar at the bottom of the screen."

Ben, I've just looked through that link [this post] you've provided and it actually mentions that this is the solution!

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @darrenNZ too, this makes all the difference.
    Greatly appreciated all.

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    Options

And thank you @ben for showing patience with my apparently unnecessary frustrations. :)

• Ben
    Options

Any time @seedy. I appreciate your passion for 1Password. :)

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Glad I found this thread as I was about to log this as an issue. I also found that switching back to 1Browser session was awkward. Thankfully, pressing the bottom bar anywhere brings it back but I still wonder what actually the benefit is of removing the browser button. The bottom bar wasn't exactly crowded with 5 buttons.

• j0o
    j0o
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks darrenNZ for the comment about using a long press to return to 1Browser. I hadn’t drilled down far enough in the Settings menu to find the instructions.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @m_w,

Perhaps not on larger devices but on smaller devices we definitely needed the room.

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps - at least on iPhones 4/5/7 it doesn't look that crowded.

iPhone 4s

iPhone 5s

iPhone 7

• Ben
    Options

We respectfully disagree. :)

Ben

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

What is a tab bar? On iPad I have home button and on/off button only, no tab bar. That is computer stuff like a space bar, or tab key.
    After clicking on anything and everything in 1PW, I figured out what you are talking about. Plenty of space on iPad for browser button. Enough space on iPhone.
    By the way, after I “found” the browser, I was shocked to find out that about 8 tabs were opened.
    For example Organize, Favorites and Categoris tabs could be combined together.
    Still great app, just now little less user friendly.
    Regards

• Ben
    Options

@Fairgame

The tab bar is the bar at the bottom of 1Password with tabs for Favourites, Categories, etc.

For example Organize, Favorites and Categoris tabs could be combined together.

These are much more important to keep, in our opinion, than a dedicated button for 1Browser.

Still great app, just now little less user friendly.

I’m sorry to hear you feel that way. Of course that will be dependent on your priorities. For someone who never uses 1Browser but often “fat fingers” the other tabs in the tab bar this is a huge boon. Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• Nicholas_N
    Nicholas_N
    Community Member
    Options

I guess the "long press" to open the browser is fine, once you know about it.

However when we exit the app with the browser open, it would be great if it stayed on the browser page when we reopen the map.

Right now when we reopen the app, we see the browser page for a second then it slides away by itself.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @Nicholas_N.

Ben

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with Nicholas_N. Open back to the last page such as browser. And explain in “What’s new” how long tab push works.
    Done.

PS: You introduced new stuff over the years I did not like at first. Then I got used to it and liked it. This will be same.
    Regards

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• boredofusernames
    boredofusernames
    Community Member
    Options

I find it ironic that with all the sales talk in the App Store about how speedy version 7 is... that in reality you have made a simple task slower and harder.

Version 6 - tap a button. Maybe a few 100ths of a second and the browser was open.

Version 7 - press and hold (hoping that it registers correctly, it doesn’t always for me). 2 seconds later you’ll hopefully be in the browser. If not press and try again.

Wow. Much quicker. I am genuinely worried that you think this is 33% quicker.

This could be fixed with a simple setting option of showing or hiding the browser tab icon. Don’t simply ignore your customers with the attitude of we are right - you are wrong.

• 96KiloHertz
    96KiloHertz
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Guys why has the 1Browser icon been removed from the dock?

When attempting to log into a site by tapping ‘website’, sometimes the info doesn’t always populate, especially with some financial institutions as they have an extra layer of security and therefore further info that’s required!

In such instances, tapping ‘Done’ at the top right hand side of the URL returns the user back to the login credentials, permitting you to ‘copy’ either the ‘username’ &/or the ‘password’! From there, you tap the 1Browser icon in the dock and it returns you to the login page and the exact location that you were attempting to log into allowing you to paste the ‘copied’ information into the required field, quickly and easily.

Now, the 1Browser icon is no longer there and you have to tap on ‘website’ instead just to be able to return to that page, however with some sites it means tapping an extra link once again just to get to where you were.

Is it an oversight?

Is someone in your coding team getting a 10/10 score for innovation by doing this?

Please bring it back!

Thanks
    96KHz

p.s. If it’s there but hidden, please enlighten me where it is so that I can enable it!

• 96KiloHertz
    96KiloHertz
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Guys why has the 1Browser icon been removed from the dock?

When attempting to log into a site by tapping ‘website’, sometimes the info doesn’t always populate, especially with some financial institutions as they have an extra layer of security and therefore further info that’s required!

In such instances, tapping ‘Done’ at the top right hand side of the URL returns the user back to the login credentials, permitting you to ‘copy’ either the ‘username’ &/or the ‘password’! From there, you tap the 1Browser icon in the dock and it returns you to the login page and the exact location that you were attempting to log into allowing you to paste the ‘copied’ information into the required field, quickly and easily.

Now, the 1Browser icon is no longer there and you have to tap on ‘website’ instead just to be able to return to that page, however with some sites it means tapping an extra link once again just to get to where you were.

Is it an oversight?

Please bring it back!

Thanks
    96KHz

p.s. If it’s there but hidden, please enlighten me where it is so that I can enable it!

• aspinalj
    aspinalj
    Community Member
    Options

I’m glad someone else has flagged this up, I thought I was going mad! There seems to be no way to return to the webpage at the point you left it.

I have found I need to go to some website just to get back to 1browser, press on the files icon to see all the open sites then select the website I’d just left.

I’m sure the missing 1browser icon is an error, if not there needs to be clear instructions how to get back to it.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

This has already been discussed in other topics.

Unfortunately this is intentional, but you can open 1Browser by long pressing the tab bar.

• rollintraver
    rollintraver
    Community Member
    Options

Once selecting DONE from a web session, I don’t see a control in the latest IOS version to get back to the web sessions. I can add new sessions with a plus sign when in the web sessions mode, and I can select the password icon to search for credentials to fill, but once I hit Done I can’t get back to the web sessions without creating a new one. When I do that I will find the older sessions still there, but I have to create a new session to get there. Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 7.0
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: IOS
    Sync Type: 1Password
    Referrer: forum-search:Latest IOS version missing the control to get back to the web session.

This discussion has been closed.