TechAddict
TechAddict
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

Had a bit of an unpleasant shock this morning. Tried to log into 1P on my Mac and the password was not accepted. My password HAD NOT been changed and yes I entered it correctly, even checked on the Notes app that special characters were inputting correctly.

Luckily I have 1P on my iPad and WAS able to log in on that using fingerprint log in and from there, change the master password (doing that my old password, which is needed first, DID work) and I was able to change to a new one, hit sync, opened the Mac app again and got in OK.

All sorted now but for a while I was SERIOUSLY unimpressed and to a degree, remain so. With the data that this app stores I cannot risk ever not being able to get into it because of some damn glitch. Had I not got iPad access I could well have been screwed. All well and good telling users not to forget their master password, absolutely no use whatsoever if the damn app doesn't let you in when you enter it!!!!

I shall be taking steps to make an alternative back up of this data and from now on will watch this like a hawk. It's only happened once but it only needs once to potentially lock you out of your data for good. Totally unacceptable!

As of this morning I shall start looking for an alternative app as a back up since, given the data this app holds, I now class it as 'UNRELIABLE'.

Mac OS: 10.13

1P App: Version 6.8.3 (683004) Mac App Store (it seems to be missing the .sux suffix!!!!!)

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: (683004) Mac App Store
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TechAddict - sorry to hear you've had this kind of trouble, and I'm really glad (though not as glad as you are, I suspect!) to hear you were able to access your data via your iPad.

If you've been with us for a while, you know how 1Password works: via encryption. You input your Master Password and it generates an AES256 key with which it attempts to unlock your data. If the string entered into the Master Password input field generates a key that matches the one the data was encrypted with, your data are decrypted. If not, then the unlock will fail. 1Password does not - indeed CANnot - just arbitrarily change your Master Password, because to do so would require re-encrypting all of your data.

If your data were syncing via Dropbox, and if the Master Password worked when entered there, then that means it was indeed the correct Master Password for your data. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to change your Master Password temporarily back to the one you had difficulties with on 1Password for Mac, and test it out again? If you can repeat the "glitch" that prevented a correctly-input Master Password from being recognized and generating the proper AES256 key on the Mac, we'd certainly want to investigate further what would be making that happen, since you won't be the only person to whom this would be occurring if that's the case.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks. Will give it a try at some stage and report back. I've no idea why the Mac wouldn't let me in. I tried typing the password in Notes just so I could see what exactly each key stroke was inputting. Details were correct. I then got in and changed the password via the iPad. Obviously there you have to input the old password (which I was kind of dreading would not work) and input the old password and it was fine. Like I say, I'm not saying it changed the password. It just wouldn't let me in USING the correct password. Not the same thing. Problem for me at the moment is I have a sense of dread about changing anything password wise for fear of getting shut out permanently. I need to find a way of saving another copy of 1Password with a very simple password, or none at all, locally so I have access to my data is this fails.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TechAddict

Obviously there you have to input the old password

Wait a minute, I thought you said in your first post that the Master Password had not been changed. Now I'm confused about what you mean by "old password." There are a few possibilities here - if you were syncing local vaults via Dropbox, then yes, you have to perform a sync one time with the previous Master Password in order for Master Password changes to be accepted elsewhere. You can read more about how 1Password handles changes to your Master Password in this post from one of our devs from a while back. It's also the case that each local vault has its own Master Password, and what gets used as your Master Password on any given installation of 1Password is a function of what you create (or sync to) as your Primary vault when you first get started. In other words, if you have two vaults synced via Dropbox and in one instance of 1Password, you use Vault A is your Primary vault, then the Master Password for that installation is the vault password from Vault A. If you go to install a fresh copy of 1Password on a different device, and at startup you sync Vault B first, then the Master Password for that second device will be whatever the vault password was for Vault B, even if you sync vault A as a secondary vault.

Situations like this are part of the reason we've been shouting from the rooftops that manual, 3rd party sync solutions like Dropbox are an advanced solution, and that a 1password.com account is the way to go for most users. Obviously, you're welcome to use either method, but in a 1Password account, all of those sync-related issues like the one I just mentioned regarding Master Password issues are simply non-existent.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

The password wasn't changed. Old password = current password. What I did was:

Try to log in with laptop. Failed
    Changed password on iPad. To allow that it asks you for the current password. That's what I meant by old password
    I used the password that I was trying to use DOZENS of times on the Mac book where the stupid damn app wouldn't let me log in. The iPad accepted it and allowed the password change

So essentially. The Mac simply refused to allow me sign in DESPITE USING THE CORRECT PASSWORD!

I only managed to sign in on the Mac AFTER I changed the password on the iPad and waited for it to sync through.

Whatever the reason. For me, with an app at this price it's not acceptable and I no longer consider the app reliable, at least not until I have a back up option.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TechAddict -- I'm sorry to hear you feel that way, mostly because in cases like this regarding the Master Password specifically, it's virtually always possible to figure out what went wrong, owing to how predictable the Master Password process is. If you're interested, we can troubleshoot it further, but if you've decided you don't want to pursue that, then I guess we're at the end of the road. If you'd like to go take a closer look, then I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/399372#Comment_399372
    • Your forum username: TechAddict

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number in the title.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

I'll maybe look at it more tomorrow. In all honesty I was losing patience with having to explain again what I thought I'd made perfectly clear in the first post. At the moment I'll spend the time looking for at least one other option to store my data, at least as a back up if not a full time replacement.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TechAddict - Sounds good. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.