No sync with update

iphoneuser
iphoneuser
Community Member

I have updated iOS version to v7 and applied the recent Mac App Store update for the desktop 1P (to 6.8.4). However, I am not seeing newer items sync between desktop installations. iPhone version appears to be updating fine. I checked in Preferences and both installations (the MBA where the new items were created and an iMac) show recent successful syncs. As far as I can tell this problem predates the recent desktop update as one of the items not syncing was created before I updated. I have restarted both machines in the last week.
Any tips about this?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @iphoneuser

All of the troubleshooting steps we’ve collected over the years regarding troubleshooting iCloud sync have been documented in this guide:

If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud

Please give that a whirl and let us know how it turns out. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

Yes, I looked at that. The issue is that one machine, iMac, was not updating. I could force it to update by switching the Preferences for Sync to "none" and then back to "iCloud" but it was not automatically picking up new items that I created on my iPhone or a laptop. The laptop and phone saw changes immediately. I can look at the "last synced" indicator in preferences and it does not change (i.e. no update). One strange thing is with the "1P mini" process. At times it was not appearing in the menu bar of the iMac even though the relevant preferences were checked. Then the "mini" would appear but I could not quit it (either using Activity Monitor or the terminal; I was just trying for a "fresh" launch of 1P). From what I can tell, the cloudd process connects to icloud.com to get these updates. On the iMac I see no recent connections by cloudd but on the laptop I can see an almost immediate connection when I create a new login item on the phone. I think this has been going on for about a week, judging from the most recent item in the iMac.
    I am stumped. Is there a way to start over with 1P on the iMac (and preserve my login items in the cloud of course).
    Thanks.
    Sorry for posting here instead of the Mac OS forum.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@iphoneuser: First of all, it's no problem. We can always move the post if necessary. And certainly since there are different devices involved it can be a tough call! Just glad you got in touch. :)

It does sound like the problem may originate on the Mac, since you mention having some other issues there. It may be something entirely outside of 1Password (especially since iCloud is supposed to be syncing the data), but we can eliminate that at least. Please do the following:

1. Verify that you have ALL of your data in 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Reset 1Password on your Mac.
    3. Drag the 1Password app to the Trash on your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password for Mac.

Depending on where you purchased it, from our website or from the Mac App Store; make sure you install the correct version, and let me know which one you're using, as that can make a difference with how iCloud is setup.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

I haven't tried the reset yet but I did try creating a new login item on the iPhone, then turning off the OS X firewall and the Little Snitch network filter. In neither case would 1P on the iMac update (at least on its own). The new login item appeared within seconds on my laptop.
    Maybe this is too much in the weeds to ask, but what triggers a sync of 1P with iCloud data?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iphoneuser - If the problem is that 1Password for Mac isn't triggering an iCloud sync, we're not going to be fixing it by anything you couldn't find in the Troubleshooting iCloud Sync link that Ben gave you, above. There are two possibilities: either something on your specific Mac or with your network setup is preventing a sync on that Mac, or there's something wrong with 1Password for Mac. If it's the former, we're about at the end of our ability to help you troubleshoot this, because there are too many variables with individual applications/utilities that can interfere or with the vagaries of specific network setups (though this seems less likely in your particular case because whatever's wrong here isn't interfering with your other devices' sync).

In the latter case (something wrong with 1Password), the best thing to do is the reset brenty mentioned, up above. Just make sure you've got your data secure and up-to-date on at least one other device before you proceed. Let us know how that turns out!

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

I tried the reset procedure but this did not change the lack of updating. I also trashed as many preferences, caches, and other support files as I could. The laptop (on the same sub-net and similarly configured) updates fine. Now that I know what to search for, I see others have had this issues going back a few versions of 1P. Since 1P does appear to update when locked/unlocked I don't really know how long this problem may have been present. I, too, am out of ideas and will just have to live with it for now. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@iphoneuser - you actually don't have to just live with it. While we have little visibility into and even less control over the vagaries of third party sync solutions, that's exactly why we created 1password.com memberships: all those syncing difficulties become a thing of the past. And that's just one of the benefits of a membership. If it's bugging you that this particular Mac is having these issues and you can't figure out the culprit -- there IS a better way. :) Just a suggestion.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I will consider it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.