Filling not working with TOTP logins on iOS 11.1 [Fixed in 1Password 7.0.1 update]

Options
baggend
baggend
Community Member
edited November 2017 in iOS

I just got my iPhone X restored from an iCloud backup and 1Password is working mostly fine, except that the fill functionality is working very sporadically. So far I've had it work twice, and not work at least 10-20 times. It might be related to browser logins vs in-app logins, but I can't say for sure unfortunately.

I know I haven't given you much to work with, but just in case anyone else has run into a similar thing or if there's something simple that I might have missed. (Maybe some sort of a privacy setting or something?)

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sseb21
    sseb21
    Community Member
    Options

Second this post. Fill is working inconsistently when using browser logins.

iPhone X

Version 7

iOS 11.1

1Password.com

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. iPhone X latest 1P.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dsjr2006, @sseb21, @baggend: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! nfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the exact OS, 1Password, and device versions you're each using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble with specific sites, or apps? Having the website or App Store URL will allow us to test it ourselves to see what's going on. Also, in the case of a website, what browser are you using: 1Browser in 1Password itself, Safari, or another? Thanks in advance! :)

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@brenty Here you go:

iPhone X, 64 GB, space grey, model A1901
    iOS: 11.1 (15B93)
    1Password: 7.0
    (Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics shows 1Password version 7.0 (70000001))

I don't remember all of the apps that were having trouble, but I just went back and tested a few. I found 2 that I had trouble with:

• Dropbox (v70.2.2) - It didn't work the first two times I tried it, but after selecting the username field, typing in some text and deleting, and then selecting 1Password again it finally filled.
    • Tweetbot (v4.7.7) - Tweetbot uses the built-in Safari view to authenticate with Twitter. I can access 1Password through the share button at the bottom of the Safari view, but no matter how many times I tried, it would never fill in the authentication details on twitter.com.

Here's a video of me trying to log into Tweetbot twice. The log in comes up each time and I tap it, but it never actually enters it in the text field.

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    Options

I also just tried logging into GitHub directly through Safari just now and had the same problem. 1Password finds the login just fine, but it never actually fills the text fields. This time it isn't a Safari view inside an app, it's me accessing Safari directly and going to the website.

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated to 11.2 beta 2 because of the swipe copy problem, and it appears to have helped with the fill issue as well.

Logging into GitHub in Safari worked immediately, Dropbox worked on the 2nd try without having to do anything in between, and Tweetbot worked on the 6th or so try after a bunch of fiddling around with text boxes.

So still not "fixed", but "improved" at least.

• stvkpln
    stvkpln
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing some very odd behavior filling in on my newly setup iPhone X... To elaborate, here's what I'm seeing:

1) Sporadic incorrect fields copied when using the quick app switcher (bottom of screen swipe left)... I probably get the right password ~60% of the time there -- more on this momentarily

2) Using sites that have I have configured with a TOTP, in any scenario -- whether it's a web view in app, safari natively, or directly in the app (like Slack), if the used site has a TOTP.... nothing gets filled in. I can't be 100% certain this is specific to it being an X, as my old phone (7+) had all of that setup for the most part. I just know that it isn't working at all!

And it's very, very, very frustrating. A few usage scenarios from the last few days where things have and haven't worked:
    1) When I had to setup Twitter authorization for Tweetbot, no credentials were passed through the in-app browser for my primary account which has two-factor enabled, but a secondary account that doesn't have two-factor passed through username/password with no issue.

2) Logging into Facebook through Safari natively (I don't install the app, but I keep a session in Safari for some minimal authentication needs), where I have two-factor enable didn't pass in credentials.

3) Slack, which can authenticate everything natively (If I'm remembering correctly) did the same thing.. nothing passed in with the first team I added, which I had two-factor enabled for.

Unfortunately, I've hit the trifecta here :(

In good news, I was re-adding Postmates this afternoon, and that pulled down username/password with no issue and passed it into the app natively. All good. I really feel like a lot of the inconsistency is coming from something wonky going on with logins that have TOTP's (at least in my case).

Let me know what other information I can provide!!

Details about my setup:

Phone: iPhone X 256GB (Model: MQCN2LL/A) on Verizon; iOS rev is 11.1 (15B93)
    1Password is 7.0, almost entirely using 1Password for Families for storage of data

-Steve

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baggend: Thank you for the examples! Do your logins perhaps have something in common? Maybe that they all use TOTP? I think this may be related to a known issue with iOS 11.1. Others have mentioned having similar issues specifically with logins that use TOTP. Let me know!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stvkpln: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion here!

1) Sporadic incorrect fields copied when using the quick app switcher (bottom of screen swipe left)... I probably get the right password ~60% of the time there -- more on this momentarily

This is a known issue which should be resolved in iOS 11.2.

2) Using sites that have I have configured with a TOTP, in any scenario -- whether it's a web view in app, safari natively, or directly in the app (like Slack), if the used site has a TOTP.... nothing gets filled in. I can't be 100% certain this is specific to it being an X, as my old phone (7+) had all of that setup for the most part. I just know that it isn't working at all!
    1) When I had to setup Twitter authorization for Tweetbot, no credentials were passed through the in-app browser for my primary account which has two-factor enabled, but a secondary account that doesn't have two-factor passed through username/password with no issue.
    3) Slack, which can authenticate everything natively (If I'm remembering correctly) did the same thing.. nothing passed in with the first team I added, which I had two-factor enabled for.

This is an issue we're tracking. It seems to be related to in-app browsers, and you may be right about the TOTP code being a commonality. That would seem to be related to the other issue I mentioned above. Are you only experiencing this with TOTP logins?

2) Logging into Facebook through Safari natively (I don't install the app, but I keep a session in Safari for some minimal authentication needs), where I have two-factor enable didn't pass in credentials.

I think there may be some misunderstanding here. 1Password does not have automatic filling for TOTP codes; rather, when you fill a login using 1Password which has a TOTP code, it will copy that to the clipboard for you so you can paste it.

Unfortunately, I've hit the trifecta here :(

I'm really sorry about that, but I really appreciate the level of detail you've shared here. If we can put the pieces together that gets us one step closer to a solution. :blush:

In good news, I was re-adding Postmates this afternoon, and that pulled down username/password with no issue and passed it into the app natively. All good. I really feel like a lot of the inconsistency is coming from something wonky going on with logins that have TOTP's (at least in my case). Let me know what other information I can provide!!

Steve, seriously, this is so great! That's a really good observation about the TOTP. I'm not quite willing to say it's a sure thing, but the more data we collect here it does seem that's a common element. Thank you! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is anyone here seeing this behavior with login filling without TOTP involved? I want to establish if that's something we all have in common, or if there are a few different issues here which we need to pursue separately. Thanks!

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The 3 examples I gave (GitHub, Dropbox, Tweetbot) all have TOTP. I'll try to find a login that supports 1P that doesn't do TOTP (though that's a pretty small intersection) and I'll report back if I get different results that way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@baggend: Thank you! That's what I thought based on your earlier comments, but I appreciate the confirmation. You don't have to go out of your way, but certainly if you encounter any filling issues let us know so we can investigate! :)

ref: OPI-4273

• stvkpln
    stvkpln
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: just to clarify one point... I'm 100% aware that it fills in username/password and copies the TOTP to the clipboard... my point was more that when I used 1P to pass in U/P to Facebook via Safari, neither username or password was getting populated. The gist of my post was that I was seeing it across the board of usage scenarios (web view, native browser in Safari, and extension in a native app) when there was a TOTP involved in the equation! That's been the only consistent element I can find, short of the other bug you noted with iOS 11.1 (that I was aware of, but was seeing inconsistency of whether it worked or not).

I greatly appreciate the support / help and I'm happy to assist in any way I can. The email address I have associated with my profile is also my Apple ID, and I'm happy to do testing of beta builds via Test Flight or whatever y'all use for beta'ing.

-Steve

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@brenty: just to clarify one point... I'm 100% aware that it fills in username/password and copies the TOTP to the clipboard... my point was more that when I used 1P to pass in U/P to Facebook via Safari, neither username or password was getting populated. The gist of my post was that I was seeing it across the board of usage scenarios (web view, native browser in Safari, and extension in a native app) when there was a TOTP involved in the equation! That's been the only consistent element I can find, short of the other bug you noted with iOS 11.1 (that I was aware of, but was seeing inconsistency of whether it worked or not).

@stvkpln: Perfect! That's what it sounded like, but I really appreciate you stating that unequivocally. We're able to reproduce this here as well, and it seems like that's the one consistent thing.

I greatly appreciate the support / help and I'm happy to assist in any way I can. The email address I have associated with my profile is also my Apple ID, and I'm happy to do testing of beta builds via Test Flight or whatever y'all use for beta'ing.

Likewise, I appreciate your participation here. Thanks for the offer! We're looking into this and we will reach out if we need anything else. And you're more than welcome to sign up for the beta either way:

Joining the 1Password for iOS Beta

I don't know offhand if we have any free slots, but I believe Apple increased the maximum a while back so maybe we're not full. Cheers! :)

• A884126
    A884126
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

1Password does not work on certain websites. For instance when I try to fill in Facebook login page (https://www.facebook.com) boxes remain empty.

Screenshot: https://file.town/download/846o1dd3dg0k745llzvnf6ag6

1Password Version: iOS 7.0
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 11.1
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Ben
    Options

Hi @A884126

Thanks for the report. Could you please try manually saving a new Login item for Facebook using the Safari extension?

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

I just tested filling on Facebook on my iPad running iOS 11.1 and it worked fine (granted it isn’t an iPhone X). I’ll see if one of my colleagues who has the X can give it a try as well.

Ben

• saulbaro
    saulbaro
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here, on iOS 11.1 and iPhone X, the latest version of 1Password doesn’t fill the Facebook login form.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@saulbaro: Are you using a TOTP for Facebook? We've identified a bug that can affect filling in that scenario.

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member
    Options

Running iOS 11.1(15B93), 1P 7.0.
    Dropbox 7.0.2

• kennytang852
    kennytang852
    Community Member
    Options

The extension in iPhone X Safari will crash when we try to autofill an account with OTP. Please fixed :(

• saulbaro
    saulbaro
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Yes, I am using one. If you need more details just let me know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dsjr2006: Does the login you're having trouble filling use TOTP?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@saulbaro: Thank you! Just confirming that you're not encountering some other issue we're not aware of. We're working on a fix for this. Thanks for your patience! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The extension in iPhone X Safari will crash when we try to autofill an account with OTP. Please fixed :(

@kennytang852: "Crashing"? Can you tell me exactly what's happening? We're aware of a filling issue with TOTP logins, but have not seen or heard of any crashes. Let me know!

• kennytang852
    kennytang852
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    I have the latest version of iOS & 1Password on my iPhone SE & iPhone X.

When we filling a login with OTP in Safari extension, we should see is a pop up saying something like “Your OTP is copied” and the extension should slide to the bottom with nice animation.

On iPhone X, when I tap on the same login, the extension just disappeared. Without any pop up or animation. And the form is still blank. This “disappearing effect” looks exactly like an app crash. That’s why I say it is crashing.

I think this maybe the reason of the form not being filled.

Can’t live without 1Password :(

• @kennytang852: We've actually got a decent grasp on what's happening here (and you're correct there is a crash involved), but are still working on tracking down the why. We definitely appreciate that y'all rely on 1Password -- we do, too, after all -- and we're working hard on a fix here. :+1:

ref: OPI-4273

• dsjr2006
    dsjr2006
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having the issue @kennytang852 mentioned as well. Filling using the in-app browser causes the extension to close like it normally would, but no login information is filled. This is a login using OTP, but this is occurring in apps also such as Dropbox and ProntonMail also using OTP for both. These worked properly before the latest update and new phone.

• @dsjr2006,

Thanks for letting us know. This issue will be resolved in 7.0.1.

Rudy

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member
    Options

I am also seeing this issue with iOS 11.1.1, 1password 7.0 on an iPhone X. Passwords and usernames are not being filled in apps or the browser for logins that have TOTP.

this fix cannot come quickly enough, as post-new-phone-migration is when passwords get entered with the greatest frequency

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for feedback about this, @alanhoyle.

this fix cannot come quickly enough

No one can disagree with that. :)

The next update (likely 7.0.1) is intended to be released relatively soon.

Enjoy your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.