Missing secure file folder

todd_pottorff
todd_pottorff
Community Member

When I logged into 1Password this morning one of my secure folders is missing. I don’t know how it was removed unless it happened when installing an update. That file contained a lot a information I need. Anyway to recover it

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017

Hi @todd_pottorff,

If you look at the All Items view within All Vaults do you see the items that were in the folder? You can use the vault switcher at the upper left hand corner of 1Password to switch to the All Vaults view.

Thanks.

Ben

• todd_pottorff
    todd_pottorff
    Community Member

I don't see an All Vaults option. In the upper left hand corner I just see All Items and Favorites. By the way I was referencing the Secure Note folder not Secure File folder but I assume you already understood that.

• @todd_pottorff

If you don’t have the vault switcher in the upper left then you only have one vault. That’s okay. Under All Items do you see the Secure Notes that you were missing?

Ben

• todd_pottorff
    todd_pottorff
    Community Member

No I don't see it. It used to show next to secure note a 2 denoted I had two files. The one with all of the information is missing. I don't recall deleting it unless I could have done so inadvertently. If I created the secure note file on my phone, would it only be stored on my phone? I had a problem with 1password a week ago where I could not log into it on my phone only. It would not except my password but would do so on my Mac and iPad. So after reading a few forums, I deleted 1password from my phone and reinstalled. It fixed the issue with logging it but did that delete my secure note file as well

• @todd_pottorff

Please tell me:

1. Do you see the Secure Notes on any of your other devices?
    2. Are you logged into a 1Password.com membership on your iPhone? You can check under 1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts. If you are not, can you please also check your other devices?

Thanks.

Ben

• todd_pottorff
    todd_pottorff
    Community Member

I only see the one Secure Notes on the other devices that does not contain the information I am looking for. When I look at the 1password accounts in the settings like you suggest, I see my one account listed

• todd_pottorff
    todd_pottorff
    Community Member

Now when I set up that secure note file (the one that is missing), I did not have a paid membership with 1password as I was only using it for that secure note file. I since paid for the membership to use to store my passwords

• Thanks, @todd_pottorff. I think I have a better understanding of what may have happened here, but unfortunately I don't think it is going to be of any help to you.

It sounds as though the note in question was stored in your Primary vault on your iPhone. The Primary vault is a standalone vault, meaning it is not part of your 1Password.com membership, and is not synced at all unless manually configured to do so (via iCloud or Dropbox). By default it only exists on the one device. When iOS apps are uninstalled the OS automatically removes any data associated with them from the device. It sounds like when you uninstalled 1Password for iOS from the iPhone the Primary vault was deleted, along with whatever contents existed exclusively in it.

I apologize for the trouble. Unless you had a backup ( 1Password backups ) or were syncing that Primary vault with Dropbox or iCloud ( Sync your 1Password data ) it seems likely that the only copy would've been deleted.

I realize it doesn't really help in this case, but fortunately going forward your data stored in your Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account, and as such removing 1Password from any given device would not have this effect.

Ben

• todd_pottorff
    todd_pottorff
    Community Member

Yes as I we were discussing the issue, which helped me recall how I set this file up, it was becoming clear to me as well that I probably deleted it. Any suggestions on what to do if I experience the problem of not being able to log into 1password in the future. Was there something else I could have done other than reinstalling the application.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@todd_pottorff: Definitely get in touch with us so we can see if there's something we can do to help. To be clear, we cannot reset or recover your Master Password for you, but there may be other options depending on the situation. I'd hate for you to have to lose data and start over unless all other options are exhausted. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.