Share more than one vault to a guest

OK, here's the basic structure. I have a consulting firm and our services are sold by dealers to clients. We need to create and manage a separate Vault for each client. Sharing to the client is working for us and that's killer. We add the client as a guest and share the Vault to them.

The issue is with Dealers. Say a dealer represents five clients. If we add them as a guest, we can only share one Vault to them.

Are you planning to add the ability to share more than one Vault to a guest? That's a critical feature for us. Is there some other workflow that would accomplish what we need?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @nsa_dc,

Thanks for explaining what you're trying to accomplish. I think that the best way to go about that currently would be to make the dealers real users as opposed to guests. This would give you much more flexibility in deciding what they could do.

Our intention with guests was to create a type of user for transient cases. The use case we like to bring up is the one where a contractor comes into play and they need access to just a handful of things for a short period of time. So we'd create a vault for them and give them a guest account. For longer uses, we really think that users are the way to go.

Can I ask why you're trying to avoid creating users for the dealers?

Rick

• nsa_dc
    nsa_dc
    Community Member

Hi Rick,
    I guess I wasn't thinking in those terms. If we create users for the dealers we'd have to pay for those accounts. I was really thinking of them as external to our organization, not as users that are on on our team. We'd be working in the app day to day, but the share to Dealers and for Clients ultimately is to distribute the information, not to collaborate on managing it.

I think that my use case aside it would be a valuable feature to allow sharing more than one Vault to a guest.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nsa_dc - thanks for the thoughts. Since accounts don't pay for the first several guests (5 simultaneously on Standard and 20 on Pro), we'd have to restructure how that works as well -- which is not to say that we won't, only that this request involves several aspects. For now, Rick's approach is the best one. Cheers!

• nsa_dc
    nsa_dc
    Community Member

Where do you have the limits of guest access documented? I didn't realize that the Pro plan would limit the number of guests to 20.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

It's all handled by the server. You'll have guests based on the plan (and possibly promotion) you signed up for, so it varies in some cases. If you have questions specific to your account, be sure to email us at support@1password.com — we're not going to discuss anyone's account details in public. ;)

To be clear, guests aren't intended as a way to add unlimited people to a team (or family) for free. As Rick mentioned, they're limited users for limited purposes, which is why the first few don't cost anything. Regular users get all of the benefits of a 1Password.com membership, so they do come with a cost. Otherwise Mayor McCheese will just sign up for a 1Password Teams account on a standard plan, pay only for himself, and invite all of McDonaldland to use 1Password for free. :pirate:

ref: RMQ-99685-623, p/4531

• nsa_dc
    nsa_dc
    Community Member

OK, that makes sense. We'll be recommending that all of our dealers purchase memberships so that we can share vaults with them as you suggest.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nsa_dc: Great! Just to clarify, you can share vaults within a 1Password Team, so make sure you're not each setting up individual memberships. Be sure to shoot us an email at support@1password.com so we can help you folks get everything setup. Cheers! :chuffed:

• nsa_dc
    nsa_dc
    Community Member

Ah, got it. We can't add somebody else's individual account to our Team. So I don't think that will work for us then. We can't purchase, create, and manage accounts for our dealers.

• I can see why that'd get a little ugly. It'd be nice if we could offer cross-account/team syncing of vaults. From a technical perspective, it'd be doable I think. It'd be a fun problem to think through.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.