I'm considering upgrading my subscription from families to teams because I want to make sure that ce

Options

I'm considering upgrading my subscription from families to teams because I want to make sure that certain members of the team cannot access the vaults at all when not in the office so are unable to obtain passwords stored when its not authorised to do so. Having said that, there are some users that will require access to the passwords when not in the office. I can see that you can restrict access so the team member cant see the password but that doesn't stop them using it - is my requirement possible? I'm using latest versions of everything

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:stop access to passwords when not in office

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nat_Benson - while you're correct that 1Password Teams Pro gives Owners/Administrators the ability to prevent team members from revealing passwords to which they have access, there is no way to "geofence" your account or restrict it to access from only certain IP addresses. We've had some discussions around setting such a thing up in the future, but that's still in the drawing board stages right now, mostly owing to the difficulty of getting such a thing right. Everyone would like to restrict this or that access...until someone goes on vacation or other travel, and is locked out of what they need. I won't say this feature won't happen, just that implementing it properly is much trickier than you might imagine, and we'd definitely want to make sure we don't remove users' ability to access their data when they need it.

• Nat_Benson
    Nat_Benson
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks for your prompt response Lars. I guess I'm using the wrong product for this purpose then. We are a small IT company and I need to store passwords that must not be used when not in our controlled environment, is there another product you could recommend for this purpose?

• Ben
    Options

@Nat_Benson,

Unfortunately I’m not aware of any off the shelf offering that would have that capability for some users, yet allow others access from anywhere.

Ben

• Nat_Benson
    Nat_Benson
    Community Member
    Options

I could use 1password for those that work remotely but is there a different product that perhaps can be loaded onto our server here and not be accessed externally?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you're asking about a self-hosted version of 1Password Teams, no -- we don't currently offer anything like that. It's something you're not the first to ask about, but for the present we're concentrating on making our own implementation as good as it can be. We use Amazon AWS for our hosting needs, and we take advantage of enough of their specialized features that not even all of AWS's data centers are suitable to host 1Password. As you're probably aware, creating an off-the-shelf version would require factoring in a virtual galaxy of variables in hosting environment, from platform (and in the case of something like Linux, specific distro), version of OS, interactions with related apps running in the same environment, and that's just the beginning.

This discussion has been closed.