Preferences > Advanced > Local Vaults [Allow creation of vaults...] Greyed-out?

Options
redlog
redlog
Community Member

Hi there,

I was checking settings and found that in Preferences > Advanced > Local Vaults [Allow creation of vaults...] the check box is checked, but it is greyed-out, so I can't change it. I looked around on the forums but I couldn't find anything about this. Hoping someone would be kind enough to shed some light on this for me.

This is an aside, but I noticed yesterday that when in the extension passwords were showing when rolling over entries, even though settings are NOT to reveal passwords. Perhaps this is another discussion...

Thanks in advance!

RL

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: None

Comments

• rudy
    edited November 2017
    Options

@redlog,

Two possibilities:

• 1Password is currently locked, you can't change that value without being in an unlocked state.
    • You have multiple local vaults configured, you can't disable local vaults without first removing them.

Rudy

• redlog
    redlog
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rudy ,

• 1Password was unlocked.
    • I only see 1 vault. And, I'm fairly certain there was only 1 setup at any point.

I quite 1Password, relaunched application, and vault was shown unlocked. Ugh... I just started having this issue last night. Never seen this before.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks for that info, @redlog.

Please give this a try:

• Open the 1Password app and choose Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the menu.
    • Unlock 1Password after that, open Preferences, and select All Vaults.

Do you see only the Primary vault and at least one 1Password account vault (Personal or Private) listed in Vaults Included? If there's more than one standalone vault (beside Primary), and no 1Password account vaults, you won't be able to remove the Primary vault.

but I noticed yesterday that when in the extension passwords were showing when rolling over entries, even though settings are NOT to reveal passwords. Perhaps this is another discussion...

Let's return to that, if you can still reproduce it, after resolving this issue:

Preferences > Advanced > Local Vaults [Allow creation of vaults...] the check box is checked, but it is greyed-out, so I can't change it.

As above, it'll remain disabled and you won't be able to turn that off until you have only a Primary vault and at least one 1Password account vault. Do you see subtext like "You have several vaults …" there?

• redlog
    redlog
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk

Ok, I followed your instructions:
    1. Opened the 1Password app and choose Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini from the menu.
    2. Unlock 1Password after that, open Preferences, and select All Vaults.

I see only 'Primary' and no 1Password account vault.

Confirmed still that Preferences > Advanced > Local Vaults [Allow creation of vaults...] the check box is checked, but it is greyed-out.

I do not see the following message: "You have several vaults outside of your 1Password..."

Confirmed after quiting and restarting app that vault was unlocked. So, I quite and started again, and it was locked. Seems to be intermittent.

So, it's because I do not have a 1Password account vault setup that the check box is greyed-out?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello again, @redlog.

I see only 'Primary' and no 1Password account vault.

So, it's because I do not have a 1Password account vault setup that the check box is greyed-out?

Exactly! You can't delete the standalone Primary vault when it's the only vault and there's no 1Password account vault to 'replace' it. Nor can it ever be deleted when using 1Password standalone-only, with or without any secondary standalone vaults.

Confirmed after quiting and restarting app that vault was unlocked. So, I quite and started again, and it was locked. Seems to be intermittent.

You can check the auto-lock settings to make sure they're not causing 1Password to lock, or remain unlocked, when you're not anticipating it.

I hope this helps. :)

• redlog
    redlog
    Community Member
    Options

Ah-ha! Thank you for your assistance.

I have/had this set: Lock when main window is closed: 1Password will lock when you close the main 1Password app.

• redlog
    redlog
    Community Member
    Options

Seems to be locking properly now on quitting. A little concerning though, when for the first time, I noticed passwords revealed when rolling over the items from the browser extension. I've been using 1Password and extension everyday for well over a year, and this is the first time I have ever seen that behavior.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@redlog: Glad sjk was able to help! :)

Seems to be locking properly now on quitting. A little concerning though, when for the first time, I noticed passwords revealed when rolling over the items from the browser extension. I've been using 1Password and extension everyday for well over a year, and this is the first time I have ever seen that behavior.

Can you elaborate? If you hold the Alt/Option key, that should reveal passwords.

• redlog
    redlog
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, logging back in now for other support issue, and just seeing your comment! It's a bit old. However, replying for posterity!

I noticed, after quitting (closing program), then re-opening, that the vault had not locked as it normally does. The vault was unlocked even though I had 'Quit' 1password and re-launched the program.

As I mentioned, I've been using 1Password daily for quite a while, and this is the very first time that has ever happened. This has not happened since. Perhaps it's worth noting (or not) that I was on an Open Public network - no WiFi password required.

Thanks again for all the help!

• @redlog,

If you have mini set to remain running and most/all of the checkboxes turned off on the security tab in the Preferences window then this is the behavior you will see. 1Password mini currently houses your data and the main app opens a window into that data, if mini isn't locked then neither is the main appp.

Rudy

• redlog
    redlog
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy

All security features were turned on and set to most strict settings. It should have locked once closed. I've done the same exact operations 100's (maybe 1k's) of times. It was a 1-off issue. I was able to repeat it once immediately after, and never before or after.

Needless to say, I changed my passwords and made sure all software was up-to-date immediately after.

• @redlog,

Definitely get in contact with us again if you see that happen again as we'd be interested in seeing a diagnostics report.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.