To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

total confusion regarding account situation

robeberhardt
robeberhardt
Community Member

Hi, I'm very confused and need help untangling a mess with my accounts.

I have been a 1password user for years, and in January of 2017 thought that I had upgraded to a family plan and invited my wife to it. She has been using 1password on her MacBook and iPhone, and I have been using it on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Items in the Shared vault are syncing between our two accounts.

I got a new iPhone X last night and set it up, and in the process wasn't able to log into the new 1password installation using my familiar master password. As I was unraveling what was happening, I noticed that my wife's 1pw app showed a different secret key then mine, even though the sign-in addresses are the same.

I also noticed that my account says it's in Trial mode.

I can log into my Mac app with my master password, and have access to my vaults, but I cannot log into my web account.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox, Accounts

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @robeberhardt! Sorry for the bit of confusion over accounts just now. I can't tell for sure just from the description you gave exactly what might be the case. But it sounds like you may have never deleted your existing Primary vault in 1Password for Mac. If so, then you'll be using your (very) old Master Password that you created back when you began using 1Password in standalone mode however-many years ago. You can add accounts into 1Password for Mac now, but the Master Password doesn't change. When you signed up for a 1password.com account (whether individual or 1Password Families), you'd have been asked to create a Master Password for that account as well -- we recommend people use the same one they've been using for their standalone setup, assuming it's long and strong and hasn't been compromised.

So, if you created an account and you DIDN'T use the same Master Password as you've used previously in standalone 1Password with local data, then hopefully you'll have printed whatever Master Password you DID use on an Emergency Kit? Let us know how many vaults you have in 1Password for Mac - and are any of them still local vaults?

Your wife's Secret Key should be different from yours if you have a 1Password Families account, because although you would both be family members in the same account, you each still have your own Personal vault which the other cannot see.

Can you elaborate on what vaults you have, in what accounts (Individual, Families, etc)? Thanks.

• robeberhardt
    robeberhardt
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

I think your assessment is exactly right, but the master password that I know doesn't work to log into the web account.

On my mac, I have a top-level Primary vault, and then a Personal and Shared vault nested under my account name
    All of my passwords are accessible to me in the Mac client app.

Since I don't have a record of a separate master password for my web login, I guess I'll have to recreate/repopulate it, but I don't know how to do that.

Also I don't understand why my account says it's in Trial Mode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@robeberhardt: If you haven't setup billing for the 1Password.com membership, it will be in trial for the first 30 days, and then frozen after that. You'll still be able to access any data you've stored there, but you won't be able to make changes to it.

It's worth noting that even if the Master Password is different on one or the other, it is one you chose, so you have a pretty good chance of remembering/guessing it. If you're not able to and want to start over, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we can help. The most important thing is that since you have all of your data accessible to you in the app anyway, there's nothing to worry about. :)

• robeberhardt
    robeberhardt
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty ! I haven't been able to remember it, so I'll go the start-over route...

• @robeberhardt: Thanks for letting us know! When you send your e-mail as brenty mentioned, please reference this thread and your forum username in the body to help us connect the dots back here. Also, if you reply here with the support ID sent to you by our BitBot assistant, it'll help us hunt it down and make sure we reply quickly. Thanks! :chuffed:

• robeberhardt
    robeberhardt
    Community Member

Thanks for the help, everyone! We're back in good shape across all accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

ref: VDT-31687-793

This discussion has been closed.