can not dismiss error message

Options
lpn
lpn
Community Member

An error message pops up: "1Password can't create required support file..." (see screenshot). Pressing Ignore just creates the same popup window and the only way to fix this seems to restart the machine.

I know why this message pops up (I have restricted the access to that directory). However shouldn't this message should show up only once and not show up again after the first Ignore?

Another question: given that I don't have Chrome on my machine, is access to this directory even needed?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lpn,

Thanks for reporting this.

Pressing Ignore just creates the same popup window and the only way to fix this seems to restart the machine.

The message can only be temporarily dismissed by choosing Ignore and will repeatedly reappear even after a system restart whenever 1Password tries and fails to create the native messaging support file in a protected or missing NativeMessagingHosts folder.

I know why this message pops up (I have restricted the access to that directory).

To permanently dismiss the message 1Password must be able to successfully read the native messaging support file there. You can allow it to be created by running the command in step 2 of this article:

How to change ownership of your NativeMessagingHosts folder

Then confirm that 1Password has created the file, e.g.

% ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 agilebits  staff  566 Sep 15 11:38 /Users/agilebits/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json

After that you can again restrict access to the NativeMessagingHosts folder, if you prefer, although it's recommended to be owned by the same Mac account user that's accessing it and we can't guarantee this will continue to work if not since an unforeseen change may disrupt it.

However shouldn't this message should show up only once and not show up again after the first Ignore?

How Ignore currently behaves (misbehaves?) makes it essentially ineffective, we've got a bug filed to improve it, and I've added your comments there. Even if not possible to permanently ignore/dismiss the message it surely could be much less of an overzealous nuisance than it is now.

ref: OPM-5164

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thanks a lot for your explanation.
    But what is that folder even needed f Chrome is not installed? Or is it not related to the Chrome browser itself despite its name?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @lpn.

I think at least Vivaldi also makes use of the native messaging support file in that location. And you (can) copy it from there if using Chrome Canary.

It's more efficient and reliable for 1Password to unconditionally create it instead of repeatedly trying to locate all instances of the currently installed browsers that would use it and only create it in that case.

• rudy
    edited November 2017
    Options

@lpn,

Alternatively, if you don't use a Chrome or Chrome-alike browser you can simply delete the Google folder and it will stop prompting.

Rudy

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks for the follow-up, Rudy. That makes sense. :+1: :chuffed:

Of course there are other apps than Chrome that can make use of that folder, which is one way it can end up being root-owned.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rudy and @sjk , deleting the folder worked fine.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that worked for you, @lpn. Thanks for confirming it.

Enjoy your weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.