How do you reorder favorites now in version 7.0 (70000001)?

Options

Comments

• Kimmo
    Kimmo
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe an option would be to allow sorting by fields other than Title? If that was an option, I would create a new field (say "Favourites Sorting") to arrange the Favourites view as I've had it until 1Password 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, there are many possibilities. Right now we're going with alphabetical, but nothing's set in stone. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member
    Options

Let me start off by saying what an awesome update the macOS version 7 is! :)

I thing I found a bug in that the Favourites sorting by "Title alphabetically" is not syncing from macOS to iOS as it should though. :'(

The iOS Favourites list seems to be sorting on either "as manually" (from v6) or the order which they where added to the Favourites list on iOS.

And to finnish this post off, I would like to make a feature request (hoping it will come true soon-ish :)); it would be super useful to have the option to sort by "Category alphabetically" on macOS and have that sorting order carried over to iOS.

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member
    Options

Today I upgraded from v. 6 to 7 and so far I like it but at once I noticed issues with re-ordering of items in Favorites. Like others, I kept a particular order of items (more used at the top and less used at the bottom) and I liked this feature/flexibility a lot.
    Please consider bringing this feature back! I personally know other users who are using this feature on v. 6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jklosin: If we can find a way of doing it that isn't broken when viewing multiple vaults, I think it would be great to be able to choose a custom order. Thanks for the feedback!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daniel110928: I'm sorry for the confusion there. This isn't something that "syncs". 1Password for iOS simply hasn't been updated to sort alphabetically yet. It's definitely on our to do list though. So while preferences are not something that can sync (that information is saved in a settings file on the device, not in your 1Password vault), we do want to make things more consistent across platforms. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Brenda for quick response. My workflow is such that I always view a single vault so I have never seen any issue. Alphabetical order is fine but it would be great if a user could switch it off for selected folder (e.g. Favorites) and order it manually. I use Favorites folder 95% of my time within 1Password

• jklosin
    jklosin
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for autocorrect - I meant ‘Brendy’ :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jklosin: Haha it happens. And thank you for clarifying. I did suspect that you might not have seen this due to using a single vault. I agree that alphabetical order is "fine", i.e. not really ideal for anyone. We'll see if we can come up with something better that works for most people. :)

• daniel110928
    daniel110928
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@brenty Thanks for explaining the what gets synced! Even though the prefs are not synced, the macOS v6 to v7 upgrade creates a super convincing illusion of syncing. :)

Great to hear that the sorting options are under development, more options other then "by Title alphabetically" like "by Category alphabetically" would be awesome! :+1:

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• fleet
    fleet
    Community Member
    Options

Would also like the option to sort favourites manually again. That was the thing I was most disappointed to see changed after upgrading to 1Password 7. I sort my stuff by the things I use most often. Now because things are sorted alphabetically, some of my most used stuff is at the bottom of the list, and some of it is near the top. I have to go hunting for things in the list instead of them just being there. I have resorted to using search most of the time instead of favourites, but it is not as fast as it used to be when the things I use most were right there at the top of the list and grouped by similarities.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fleet - thanks for weighing in on this one. I can't say whether or when we'll be adding this feature back -- one of the things that's important here is to do it in a way that's consistent cross-platform. Right now, favorites-ordering is saved in a file that's exclusive to macOS, which means if you use a PC or Android device, you won't see the same ordering. But I digress. In the meantime, you can use search to find items you want more quickly than having to scroll through what might potentially be a long list. Have you tried the new fuzzy search-powered Quick Open? Give it a go, it's pretty great at getting you just where you want to be.

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    Options

Manually ordering in Favorites is very usefull, like in v6, I miss it. Title order is confusing, I spend more time to find the one I want to connect.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @webregnet! Thanks for weighing in on this one. :)

• mweitzman
    mweitzman
    Community Member
    Options

I am missing this feature as well

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in @mweitzman

Ben

• mbailey
    mbailey
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so here is the solution that works across all vaults: For your favorites, just rename each of the entries with a number in front indicating the order you want. If you want more than 9 favorites, you'll need to use leading zeros since these are sorted lexicographically (of course, you can also use letters in which case you get 36 1-digit prefixes! This way, every time you use a 1password favorite you can be reminded about how slowly we learn from the past in the software business!

• Ben
    Options

@mbailey

This way, every time you use a 1password favorite you can be reminded about how slowly we learn from the past in the software business!

Oof. Right in the heart. :) Thanks for suggesting the workaround.

Ben

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

No no no nooooooo, like said before, this is a stone age and archaic method.

This is a joke each time I read this from one of your team in a topic.

What you're suggesting is like if my ventilation system in my car was broken and the maintenance manager tells me, ok just buy a fan and plug it on your USB.

So each time I want to reorder them, I have to change the numbers, nonsense

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member
    Options

This is a joke each time I read this from one of your team in a topic.

@webregnet Actually "mbailey" is a user, like you and me.

Annoying though the problem is, it'll be fixed - eventually.

• webregnet
    webregnet
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Oh, I'm really sorry, nothing personnal to @mballey, the comment of @Ben with 1P logo Team Member make this confusion.

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding a voice to being able to order favorites again; even just on desktop would be great. Yes I use "All Vaults" view all the time and I get that it's difficult to allow manual sorting.. but I'm optimistically asking 'what else is possible please' so we can get this?

I use 1P 90% on my desktop with the browser plugin mini, and I always used to just go to Favorites, then I would have my most used at the top of the list.

Thanks for listening and considering this

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, thanks for the feedback everyone! Where we're at right now is that we plan to standardize on alphabetical ordering for the time being as we evaluate other options. That means that people who really do want to manually sort can use digits in the titles at least to order them. Longer term, I'm not sure if we'll end up doing something with frequency of use, simply add additional automatic sorting options, or something else entirely, but it's something we'll continue to look into.

• Joce
    Joce
    Community Member
    Options

I think withholding on re-implementing this feature is ridiculous. Wanting to "standardize on alphabetical ordering" is nice, but why not give us the choice. Have alphabetical be the default, but offer a manual sort option as well. I honestly don't care about alphabetical sort, as I'm typically only accessing 1Password through the browser. I only ever need the results that fit that URL. But my favorites are things that don't always offer a URL - debit card, VPN credentials, database login; items that don't auto-fill on a browser.

I can understand wanting to sunset features and keep a clean user interface. But this is a user preference, and your users are telling you what they want and that this change does not fit with how they use your product. If you kept alphabetical sort, but added a manual sort option, the only ones who would likely see it are those who were LOOKING for it.

As a Product Manager, I admire how much you involve the community, but your handling of this change is extremely disappointing. I've emailed twice asking about this feature - once immediately after installing 1P7 - and never received any response. Now I have to assume it's because you didn't want to tell me "no". How many more users are asking about this, who haven't used this forum? The feedback on just this one discussion should be invaluable in that we're telling you not only what we want, but why we want it. Yet, you've taken the "we know better" stance, and don't seem to be listening at all.

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

@Joce from what I've read by 1P staff, it seems to be a 'difficult' feature to implement when using multiple vaults. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but reading between the lines, they don't really want to spend all that time and effort (=money) keeping a few of us happy, they'll just go for the masses who will happy enough with alphabetical order, or search (which 1P seems to be pushing as the direction they wish to drive people toward).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

Yet, you've taken the "we know better" stance, and don't seem to be listening at all.

Not at all. We appreciate the feedback, and will certainly consider it going forward. But we don't generally share our plans before things are firm. As Brenty said:

Longer term, I'm not sure if we'll end up doing something with frequency of use, simply add additional automatic sorting options, or something else entirely, but it's something we'll continue to look into.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

or search (which 1P seems to be pushing as the direction they wish to drive people toward).

Search is indeed a pretty convenient way to find items, but we do understand that it isn't a universal solution.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joce: We're not withholding anything. As a product manager, I'm sure you know that no matter what there are only so many people and so many hours in a day to make things happen, and saying "yes" to one thing means saying "no" to many others, at least temporarily. If we work on everything we get messages about, we'll never get anything done. Probably the same goes for you! This is neither the only feature/improvement request that we receive nor is it the most popular, so this isn't at the top of our priority list at the moment. But, as mentioned previously, we would like to offer a better solution for Favorites sorting in the future. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you too. :)

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

I find search significantly less convenient. Have to put cursor into search box with mouse/trackpad, then put hands on keyboard and start typing, then hands off keyboard to either scroll to the result with arrows, or use mouse/trackpad again to select it, then click.

If I have a list of favourites, it is simply mouse / trackpad to locate that favourite I'm looking for, and click it.

This discussion has been closed.