1Password extension doesn't work in Waterfox 55.2.2

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password addon button in Firefox 55.0 is displayed but greyed out....

Comments

• FineWine
    FineWine
    Community Member
    Options

As you know Mozillas XUL/XPCOM support ends with Firefox 57. I have been using a highly customised FF for years Mac & Windows. I have decided to stop using FF when FF 57 arrives and I will be switching to Waterfox.

1Password browser extension in Waterfox is not working, it is greyed out and blinking. I un-installed and reinstalled several times.

Waterfox 55.2.2 (64-bit) for macOS 10.13.1
    1Password Version 6.8.4 (684000)
    1Password Ext version 4.6.12.90

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @FineWine,

Thank you for reaching out! I've split your message off into a new discussion in the Mac category. I hope you don't mind.

I am afraid it won't be possible to use Waterfox with 1Password for Mac due to code signature validation requirements against a whitelist in 1Password. Please check this reply from Brenty in another thread for more information.

At the moment 1Password extension supports the following browsers:

• Safari (macOS only)
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Opera
    • Brave

Please let us know if it helps. If there is a particular reason why you decided against Firefox? Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• FineWine
    FineWine
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

As you know Mozillas XUL/XPCOM support ends with Firefox 57. I have been using a highly customised FF for years Mac & Windows. It is this customisation that I like. Waterfox will enable me to keep using my customised browser. I have tried Palemoon but that is way to flaky. Waterfox is very stable 99% of present Add-ons/Extensions do and will continue to work on it. Plus they are committed to carry on developing & updating it on a very regular basis.

EDIT: Waterfox roadmap

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As I mentioned in the link Greg included in his last reply to you,

Waterfox is not an officially supported browser [for our 1Password extensions]. It's something we're considering adding to the newer apps so that those who wish to use it can, and this will likely be included in a future beta release of the latest Mac and Windows apps. Though others may work, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Safari are officially supported in the current versions the 1Password desktop apps.

Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to add support for Waterfox in the future! :)

• mikefoley
    mikefoley
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, please add support for Waterfox. FF 57 isn't as useable right now. Hopefully 58 will help when they open up more API's but right now, lots of useful extensions are not usable.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikefoley Thanks for weighing in, but I doubt this is something we're going to be doing, moving forward. We want to provide solid support for the most popular browser choices, instead of trying to support the largest number of browsers possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikefoley: Just to clarify, Firefox has had robust support for extensions using the new standard for months. If you're having trouble with some, it's likely they still need to be updated, as we did with 1Password a few months ago. That's the only way forward for Chrome too, and alternative browsers based on these as well.

• mikefoley
    mikefoley
    Community Member
    Options

While I agree, there are some extensions that require API's that aren't available in the 57 code base. They can't update until there are API's. That's going to take a couple of revs of the browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, I see what you mean. Certainly deprecated APIs have had their days numbered for a long time. Hopefully they're able to fix that so they're using current ones instead. Cheers! :)

• AlmightyBob
    AlmightyBob
    Community Member
    Options

I know this isn't up for vote, but here's another +1 user who's stopped using FF after v56 started giving nag screens that the browser is out of date, and would love to have an addin that works in WF.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlmightyBob - thanks for weighing in on this. It's not so much about whether there's an official "vote" or not -- we always appreciate hearing users' feedback and suggestions because it gives us a sense of what's important to people using 1Password in "real world" situations, as well as problems they are encountering. Sometimes, with more-unusual, edge-case type stuff, the ONLY way we hear about issues is from users in the field because those issues simply don't happen to us. So, while we can't promise action on everything we hear about and we never (well, hardly ever) pre-announce our intentions or dates of releases, don't mistake this for us not reading or taking into account users' wishes and thoughts. Thanks again for sharing. :)

• AlmightyBob
    AlmightyBob
    Community Member
    Options

actually... oddly enough it the extension does work in waterfox 56.0.3 (64-bit) for windows in windows 7 x64, but not on mac (for the same version of waterfox) on macos 10.13.3...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlmightyBob - To be clear, there is no official support for Waterfox at this time. It's possible older versions may work, because the supported status has varied over time. So if you've got a setup that is working for you right now, great! But for the present, having it NOT work is expected behavior. We may revisit this in the future, but there's nothing to announce on that score at this time.

• g1l1t1
    g1l1t1
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Goodbye, 1password, I guess...

Although it seems to me it would be simple enough to allow it to work with Waterfox, without officially supporting it.

Did it ever officially support Waterfox, after all?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Goodbye, 1password, I guess...

@g1l1t1: I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope you find a tool that better meets your needs.

Although it seems to me it would be simple enough to allow it to work with Waterfox, without officially supporting it. Did it ever officially support Waterfox, after all?

No. And not simple at all. We'd have to develop, test, and support it specifically. We really need to focus on supporting major browsers, as changes always need to be made for those, which are used by the vast majority. We cannot divert resources away from that, as work is never done in that area. If Waterfox accrues significant market share in the future, we'll need to reevaluate it. But right now it's less than single-digit usage and not something we can justify working on. :blush:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

I use Firefox ESR because I got tired of having to update the regular Firefox every other week. If you want to still use a Firefox browser AND 1Password, the ESR 52 release is what you might want to try.

Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR 52)
    An older version of Firefox that supports legacy Add-Ons

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for chiming in! I think that Firefox ESR is on version 60 now though, which of course poses similar challenges described above. We do make an effort to not break things there, and existing extension versions should continue to work (and Firefox's code signature will be recognized unless they change it), but it is likely that it won't be possible to stick with version 52 indefinitely. :blush:

• salainen
    salainen
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

As Firefox 52 ESR is nearing its EOL, I'd like to add my vote for support for whitelisting browsers. Wouldn't mind if it's a defaults write or some otherwise hidden setting, but would be nice to have Waterfox and other alternatives that are technically ok to actually work with 1password. Thanks!

Comment was moved here from this older (now closed) discussion: Browser extension isn't working on Waterfox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@salainen: We have no plans to support configurable whitelisting. We test with and support well-known, well-maintained browsers. Firefox 52 in particular, as an example, is missing a year and a half of security fixes, and that's not going to improve with time. And since we also can't reasonably vet every alternative browser out there, we don't want to be giving 1Password users the impression that they're supported or verified. I'm sorry I don' have better news for you. If the browser landscape changes in the future we'll reevaluate though.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

brenty you're wrong about Firefox 52 ESR "...missing a year and a half of security fixes..." The latest version, 52.9.0 ESR was released on 25 Jun 18. The ESR channel updates are ONLY security updates. I think you confused the regular channel Firefox 52 in your reply.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad - we're making an effort to keep our list of approved browsers down to ones that we're able to fully vet. Allowing user-generated whitelisting of any browser out there just isn't on the radar at this point, though we do take a "never say never" attitude toward most things, in general.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad: Ah, you're right. Thank you for correcting me. I forgot the ESR part.

This discussion has been closed.