OTP - QR Code scanner does not read QR in 1P for Mac, but works fine in iOS

ik8sqi
ik8sqi
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

On 1P for Mac, there have been in the past multiple cases where the QR Code scanner to setup OTP on some websites has failed to recognize the code.

This last time rather than giving up and using SMS dual factor instead of the OTP, I looked into it further. I tried to zoom the browser's resolution to make the QR code bigger. It didn't work. The Google Authenticator app on my iPhone read the code just fine instead. I then tried using the 1P app on my iPhone to read the QR code... that WORKED.

So... you guys definitely have a bug in 1P for Mac when it comes to decoding the QR codes for OTP passwords on some websites.

Here is one example from the website coinbase.com. It's imported fine by the Google Authenticator and the 1P app on my iPhone, but not on 1P for Mac (v6.8.4).

For any hacker reading this... don't bother. I had coinbase regenerate the private key for my dual auth, so this code won't work anymore.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:qr code copy paste manually

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ik8sqi: It's certainly possible, but there just isn't any way for us to test it to see if there's a workaround or something we can do to improve this without more details. Can you tell me where you're encountering this issue?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ik8sqi: I've merged your separate post from the other discussion here so we can focus on your issues without a bunch of confusing back and forth.

I've removed theQR code from your post since it appeared to contain your email address. I didn't have any trouble scanning it with 1Password 6.8.4. I'm on macOS 10.13.1, so I suppose that may be related somehow, but suffice to say I'm not able to reproduce the issue you're describing.

Have you tried restarting your Mac? Which browser version are you using? What model and display settings are you using? Thanks in advance!

• Hi @ik8sqi,

The QR scanner code we use in our iOS app is different and better than the one we use in the Mac app. Rudy has been doing some work to bring the Mac's version in line with our iOS app, and I'm hopeful that these kinds of problems will go away once that works is completed.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.