After iOS 11 release, how do I download and install "1Password 6" for iOS 10 devices?

Options
jdputsch
jdputsch
Community Member

I am adding family members to my 1Password Family account. These family members have older devices that only run iOS 10, and therefore are limited to 1Password 6.

How do I download and install 1Password 6 on these devices. Apple's app store insists the 1Password version there is only compatible with iOS 11 devices.

Please make 1Password 6 available via the App store for older devices.

Thank you,

Jeff.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to download and install "1Password 6" for iOS 10 devices?

Comments

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

Me, too. Same issue. I have an iPad 4th generation, running 10.3.3. I use 1Password 6.8.3 on my Mac laptop.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RJMS, @jdputsch: 1Password 7 is not available on iOS 10 or earlier, but you can install the latest version which is compatible with your device from the App Store:

1Password for iOS (App Store)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

How? I am looking at the app store, a search for an earlier version showed only version 7 available for download.

• @RJMS,

if it allows you to "Get" it, it should tell you that you can't run v7, but that v6 is available for your OS. Is it not doing that?

Rudy

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

No it is not. When I click on the install button I get a box that says I must upgrade to IOS 11.

• @RJMS,

Do you happen to have a copy of iTunes installed on a computer that still supports the App Store?

Rudy

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

yes. I can open the app store on my macbook pro. It shows 1 password v 6.8.4 available. I am currently running 6.8.3. But I need it on my iPad 4th gen.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017
    Options

If you use the Updates > Tap your profile icon (upper right) > Purchased tab in the App Store app on your iPhone you can install 1Password 6 from there if the Apple ID you are signed into has 1Password for iOS associated with it.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jdputsch
    jdputsch
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the guidance. Luckily we had an old iTunes. Erosion and could get the app via that, then download version 6.x on the older iPhone.

It would be very helpful if there were some way to do this without the old iTunes version: customers with older iOS devices won’t always have old iTunes available.

Jeff.

• Ben
    Options

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for letting us know. The only other way is the method I described above. We don’t have the ability to distribute the app any other way. That’s how the App Store works, and the App Store is the only way to distribute commercial software on iOS.

Thanks!

Ben

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

Ben. Please reread my posts. I do not own an iPhone. Nor did I purchase 1Password thru the app store. I purchased it years ago for my laptop. I am now trying to get it to work on my new to me but used iPad 4th generation, which cannot be updated to IOS 11. So my final question is: Is 1Password 6 still available for purchase via the App store on an older iPad? It seems the answer is no, but please confirm.
    Best Regards,
    Robert

• @RJMS,

The only way to purchase it would be to use a copy of iTunes on your computer to get it, since iTunes on the computer doesn't restrict what you can "get" based on the running OS. Once you've gotten it via that mechanism it will show up on the Purchase tab on the App Store on the device, at which point you should be able to install the older version that's compatible with your non-iOS 11 device. You will want to make sure that if you're using any of the available sync mechanisms that you've got at least the minimum required versions per the iOS requirements listed on https://support.1password.com/system-requirements/

Rudy

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks. I just tried that. With the iTunes store it is only possible to purchase via the subscription format, which I would prefer not to do. -- Robert

• Ben
    Options

@RJMS,

You should be able to create a standalone vault, and then purchase the Pro features if you’d like. The option to create a standalone vault would be at the very bottom of the welcome screen (below 1Password.com, below iCloud, Dropbox, etc).

Please let me know if you do not see that option.

Ben

• Ghostwriter211
    Ghostwriter211
    Community Member
    Options

I too can NOT update to IOS 11 on my iPad 4th gen. I did have 1Password on the device, then it disappeared (removed itself)! It was 6.9.X if I'm not mistaken. So, like I've asked in email several times now recently. How do I get my 1Password back on my iPad!!! I'm NOT interested in a subscription to anything. The 1Password on my iPhone is still functioning just fine. I don't understand what's going on. Please explain!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Ghostwriter211

You should be able to download the previous version of 1Password in the Purchased tab of the App Store. Open up the App Store on your iPad. Then tap the Updates button and then "Purchased" up at the top. The older version of 1Password that you are able to use should be listed there.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Having installed 1Password 6.9.1 successfully on my iPad 4, if it is a prior purchase, there is Cloud icon with down arrow. Previous versions are only available to existing purchasers. New purchasers as indicated by [GET] won’t see old versions but can get 1Password 7 +.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Ghostwriter211: Corey is correct, but if it helps, the App Store only shows the current version of a given app. You'll need to tap to install that, and then it will offer you the most recent version which is compatible with your device:

https://support.apple.com/HT201272#apps

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Correct! :) :+1:

• Ghostwriter211
    Ghostwriter211
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all the advice. In the app store when I click on the current version I receive a message that I need IOS 11 with no other option(s). Not very helpful since I can not upgrade to IOS 11 on my iPad 4th gen. I will try some of these suggestions, but what baffles me is that if I restore the iPad from a backup on iTunes, there's 1Password for a ever so brief spell, then it's gone without any intervention from me??

• Ben
    Options

I wish I had a better answer for why that might be happening, but that isn’t a process that we have any control over. 1Password doesn’t have the ability to uninstall itself.

Ben

• Ghostwriter211
    Ghostwriter211
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, here's the p#$@ on what's been going on with my 1Password. It seems that I have more than one Apple ID.....and, you guessed it. MY v 6.x.x and a version of 1Password Pro (a v 3 I believe) were both in that account. Now that I have signed into the correct account for 1Password it did download to my iPad and so far has Not disappeared!! Thanks for all your attempts to help me install 1 Password from an account that it was not purchased/downloaded from in the first place. Perhaps this will help someone else in a similar situation!! Is the 1Password Pro v3 still a supported product or should it be removed from my iPad? Thank you!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you were able to figure out what was happening.

Is the 1Password Pro v3 still a supported product or should it be removed from my iPad?

Not even a little bit. It is a 32-bit app, which won't run at all on iOS 11. I'd ditch it. I don't even keep it on my devices anymore other than
    for nostalgia purposes.

Ben

• Ghostwriter211
    Ghostwriter211
    Community Member
    Options

Ditched it is! Thanks again for all the help and guidance. Awesome product? Have a great summer!

Wayne (Ghostwriter211)

• Ben
    Options

You’re welcome. Enjoy. :)

Ben

• kevbob
    kevbob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Folks!

So, after several hours of trying to get the old version, and App Store telling me 1P7 wasn't compatible with my device, I found the simplest solution of all. "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

First, I was going through various app store menus from iOS settings, from iTunes on my Mac, and getting absolutely nowhere. I thought maybe I could just default to logging in to my.1password.com in Safari- but alas, the site loaded to a blank page.

Digging digging digging, and saw this article, and thought- yeah right, all they are saying different is to power cycle it. What possible use is that advice? Remember, I went to the app store multiple times, looked for my old purchased apps, and was denied each time- "Not supported for your device! Begone!"

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/02/08/how-to-download-old-versions-of-apps-from-the-app-store-on-an-older-iphone-or-ipad-that-cant-run-ios-11

Ok, let's try it.

Lo and behold, I was FINALLY given the option to download the last compatible version for my first generation Mini.

And I can use my my-1P account there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kevbob: Wow. I guess I tend to take it for granted that any time something should work but doesn't that restarting is worth a shot, but you're right that no one explicitly mentioned that in this discussion. I'm glad that did the trick for you. Thank you for sharing that!

This discussion has been closed.