Vaults? Separate passwords?

Where can I find more information about Vaults and how they work under the hood?

I thought the purpose of the Vault would be to have separate master passwords, but looks like that's not the case. So then what's their purposes other than organizational?

I'd love to have a "Finance" vault, and a "Junk" fault (the latter being used for random website logins that I don't care about). But I don't want my "Finance" vault to be unlocked at all times.

On the contrary, I want the "Finance" vault to re-prompt me for the master password every time I want to use it.
It doesn't have to be a different password for the vaults, as long as they can be individually locked/unlocked

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LarsLars Junior Member

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @hydraSlav - vaults are containers of information. You can create as many of them as you like in 1Password. If you're using a 1password.com account, your Master Password is the only password you need to remember. It's also what allows us to call our app "1Password" instead of "1 password for every vault you create."

Whether you're using a 1password.com account or standalone vaults, however, they cannot be individually locked. If you're using one of the 1Password applications for Windows, Mac, iOS or Android, you can set security controls to lock the vault under various circumstances (if you've been idle for more than X minutes, when the device sleeps, etc) - and these timeouts can be set quite restrictively if you like. Look on your device under Preferences (or Settings) > Security to see your options.

• @Lars

I am using the beta chrome extension (or I guess it's released now?). The only option I see there is to lock after x minutes. It seems to apply to all vaults at once

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

That is correct. All vaults lock and unlock together.

Ben