Problems with the new 64bit Firefox (ver.57) for Windows 10 Pro

Hi all,
I just updated my old Firefox to the new 64 bit version and now, my 1password 'button' is missing. When I try to install the extension I get an error about 'this download cannot be completed due to a connection error'. I don't have an error as my internet is up and running. Will have a hot fix for this new version of Firefox soon?
Tia,
Bobsen

1Password Version: 6,7,457
Extension Version: Firefox extension
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Bobsen
    Bobsen
    Community Member

"These extensions do not meet Firefox standards so they have been deactivated", is the message with Firefox legacy extensions that I can see.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

"These extensions do not meet Firefox standards so they have been deactivated", is the message with Firefox legacy extensions that I can see.

@Bobsen: It sounds like you have an outdated version of the extension. 1Password has supported the newest Firefox APIs since August. You can get the latest version from our site.

I just updated my old Firefox to the new 64 bit version and now, my 1password 'button' is missing. When I try to install the extension I get an error about 'this download cannot be completed due to a connection error'.

That's because something is preventing you from establishing a secure connection to download and install it. Do you have "security" software which is interfering? Typically this is due to a person-in-the-middle attack using a self-signed certificate in the browser.

I don't have an error as my internet is up and running. Will have a hot fix for this new version of Firefox soon?

We can't fix this for you, as the problem is on your machine. Please let me know what you find.

• Bobsen
    Bobsen
    Community Member

I manually installed the extension via a Chrome download and used the beta version of the extension. It seems to work now. Interestingly enough the prior error message in the firefox extensions folder was:
    _Starting with Firefox 57 (in release on November 14, 2017), only add-ons built using WebExtensions APIs, the new technology for Firefox extensions will work. _

Hope this helps...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, yep! That's what I thought. Glad that worked! Prior to 1Password extension version 4.6.9 back in August, we were not using the WebExtensions APIs so if you had an older version installed Firefox would have killed it back around version 54 or 55 (I forget). If you'd kept using an older version of Firefox until now it wouldn't have affected you though. I had a machine stuck on 53 til today when I noticed that it was failing to update, so I downloaded 57 manually. Cheers! :)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I am running 1Password 4 and have the same problem. I have disabled ESET but still cannot download the add-on. Please could you advise me the seteps to take.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andrew42,

Thank you for chipping in!

Do you see “the add-on could not be downloaded” in Firefox on your PC? If so, please check this guide on our website and let us know it helps. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Greg, I'm sorry if I'm being stupid but I do not understand instruction 3 in the guide. I have downloaded the *.xpi file but do not know what is meant by opening Firefox and dragging the file "to the Firefox Window". What is meant by the Firefox window? When I open Firefox it opens to my home page and I do not know where to go to find this "Firefox Window"

• bundtkate
    edited November 2017

@Andrew42: When you open Firefox, try this instead:

1. Choose the 3 lines in the upper right-hand corner and select Add-ons.
    2. Click the gear icon, then Install Add-on from File.
    3. Navigate to the xpi file you recently downloaded and click Open to install it.

Let us know if that works for you. :+1:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

That worked for adding 1P to Firefox but it did not install the 1P icon on the toolbar and when I do to customise 1P is not there. See attached screen shots:

What am I doing wrong?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Update: Issue solved. It has mysteriously appeared on the toolbar. Don't know how or when but I'm not complaining. Thanks to all for your help.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@andrew42: Mysterious indeed. I am glad to hear that the issue has resolved itself, though. Please feel free to contact us anytime in the future, we will do our best to help you with all things 1Password.

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Greg

• elvergal
    elvergal
    Community Member

I'm having a simmilar issue with the new FF update. Before it, I was using an outdated version of the extension because the new ones didn't work with 1Password 4 (the extension icon was greyed out), but since the FF update the old extension stopped to work as well so I was forced to upgrade to the lastest vesion, but the icon remains greyed out. Is it needed to make an extra step to make it work?? I dont want to switch to 1Password 6 because I prefer the local vaults

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm having a simmilar issue with the new FF update. Before it, I was using an outdated version of the extension because the new ones didn't work with 1Password 4 (the extension icon was greyed out),

@elvergal: It sounds like you've disabled Native Messaging in 1Password 4 (under Help > Advanced). This is needed for recent versions of the extension, as this is the only thing Firefox will support going forward.

but since the FF update the old extension stopped to work as well so I was forced to upgrade to the lastest vesion, but the icon remains greyed out. Is it needed to make an extra step to make it work?? I dont want to switch to 1Password 6 because I prefer the local vaults

I'm 99% certain that my suggestion above will work (you may need to restart the browser and 1Password Helper in the Help menu as well though), but let me know if you encounter any further issues.

• elvergal
    elvergal
    Community Member

@brenty Ty, that worked :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting me know! I didn't want to take it for granted in case there was something else going on in your case, but I'm really glad that helped. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.