Touch ID in 1Password X [maybe in the future]

Options
jineshshah36
jineshshah36
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I seem to be unable to use Touch ID to unlock my 1Password X extension. Is this just a delayed feature, or has it been removed completely?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 1.0.1
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jineshshah36,

1Password X is a brand new app that runs in Chrome on any platform — including Mac — but we have a long way to go to match the experience that Mac users know and love.

We're going to work with the Mac team to have better integration with 1Password for Mac, but if features like Touch ID are crucial to you right now, I recommend using the 1Password extension as before.

Thank you for your feedback!

• jineshshah36
    jineshshah36
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for the update!

• I'm looking forward to this feature myself, so I hope we add it sooner than later

• widepipe
    widepipe
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my vote to trying to get this feature in. This may be the only showstopper in X for me.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback @widepipe! There's plenty of votes from folks around here too!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote here!

• dpearce04
    dpearce04
    Community Member
    Options

+1 only thing missing for me, otherwise an awesome improvement!

• Thanks for the votes, everyone!

Just to be clear, as much as I want this feature as well, there are no Chrome APIs provided for Touch ID. Indeed, even in the Safari extension architecture there is no Touch ID capabilities either.

In order to bring this feature to 1Password X, we will need to integrate tightly with the desktop apps. This is something I dream about often but I have to be clear that this is a longer term goal for 1Password X. We have many other things we need to add first, like Safari and Firefox support, and a customizable password generator would be great as well :)

• crystaln
    crystaln
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please provide a disclaimer so that people don't install 1Password X expecting the same product?

TouchID was a major benefit and source of security to me (not having to type my master password means I can have a more secure password that is less susceptible to keystroke loggers and phishing)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

@crystain: What kind of disclaimer are you looking for? 1Password X can run in conjunction with our native browser extension and doesn't require a shorter Master Password. If Touch ID is important to you, just remove 1Password X and add the native extension to your browser.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any issues along the way.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote here.
    People need to understand that 1P X is a separate login and connects directly to the service and not the application.
    This feature will require some real tough integration with the application installed.

• Thanks for the feedback @mujtaba_mir! It is difficult for now, but hopefully as new tools are introduced it'll get a bit easier. :chuffed:

• AntoineOrsoni
    AntoineOrsoni
    Community Member
    Options

Any update ?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AntoineOrsoni: No update yet, but the entire team working on 1Password X is meeting this month to plan out development and do a bunch of group coding (engage super productivity mode). In the meantime, we've just started private beta testing 1Password X on Firefox which we hope to get fulling working in time for Native messaging and Touch ID.

-Beyer

• AntoineOrsoni
    AntoineOrsoni
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Anytime! I hope you have a pleasant week. ☀️😁

-Beyer

• AlecRust
    AlecRust
    Community Member
    Options

Took me until finding this thread to understand 1Password X is not a suitable replacement for the 1Password Chrome extension on Mac, despite having additional features. I think this should be better communicated in your documentation/blog post.

• dteare
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @AlecRust. I'm sorry that you found 1Password X unsuitable for your needs. Hopefully we can close the gap in a future release.

As for an update on Touch ID in general, I want to share that not much has changed since I posted this back in November:

Just to be clear, as much as I want this feature as well, there are no Chrome APIs provided for Touch ID. Indeed, even in the Safari extension architecture there is no Touch ID capabilities either.

In order to bring this feature to 1Password X, we will need to integrate tightly with the desktop apps. This is something I dream about often but I have to be clear that this is a longer term goal for 1Password X. We have many other things we need to add first, like Safari and Firefox support, and a customizable password generator would be great as well :)

What has changed is 1Password X has matured a lot since November and we now have a customizable password generator and Firefox support is in beta now. So we're getting closer to a point when we'll be able to experiment with how this could work. With that said, I still hope Chrome adds support for biometrics to their API. That would be the best solution for everyone.

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

Voting this feature request up because it's so easier.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you'd like that option. :)

• madonzy
    madonzy
    Community Member
    Options

Guys, please take a look, Google Chrome offers WebAuthn API to provide this functionality:
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/chrome-67-new-features,news-27303.html

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@madonzy: Yes, and it's still very new. We're not going to implement anything like that without vetting it thoroughly. The browser is a great attack vector, so we need to be extra careful there.

• madonzy
    madonzy
    Community Member
    Options

so, when you will implement it? That is already stable release.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@madonzy: We don't discuss future releases, and we have nothing to announce in this area at this time. We're not going to rush something like this, which would have huge security implications, either for good or ill. If and when we introduce a feature like this it will only be after serious scrutiny by the security team and a lot of development and testing to make sure it meets our standards.

• johnpw
    johnpw
    Community Member
    Options

Please ship this ASAP. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not until it's ready. :tongue:

• Good news!! 1Password X now has Desktop App Integration on Mac along with Touch ID support! 🎉

Check out our recent beta announcement for details on how to set things up so you can use Touch ID on your Mac. Support for Windows and Windows Hello will be coming in a future release.

If you're feeling adventurous, please give the beta a try and let us know how it goes. 😘

++dave;

• ingvald
    ingvald
    Community Member
    Options

This has been in beta for over a year now. Any news on when we might see this in a general release?

This discussion has been closed.