cant get dropbox to work on windows laptop

I am simply trying to get 1password back on my laptop. I need complete instructions that will get it where when I click the icon in chrome that my 1password passwords will be there, instead of an empty box.

I am quite disappointed that there isn't an easier way to do this. I see if I'm willing to spend $3 a month then it's "easy".. While I don't have a problem spending $3 -- it's the principle at this point. Please PLEase give me the details to get this fixed. I've been working on this for 4 hours and needed it on my laptop before 1 PM today..

1Password Version: you had me load 4 but I think I'm on 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:cant get dropbox to work on windows laptop

Comments

• @dgoddard: If you're using Dropbox to sync, you do want 1Password 4, not 1Password 6. You also want to make sure that Dropbox is installed and set up and that 1Password 6 is uninstalled if you ever did install it. 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 can play nice together, but it's a bit of a fuss and not something you want to mess with if you don't need to.

Once you have only 1Password 4 and Dropbox ready to go, launch 1Password. If you see the Welcome screen, choose Used 1Password before and navigate to your vault on Dropbox in the resulting file explorer window to open it. 1Password will sometimes find your Dropbox vault on its own as well, so you can skip that last step if your it does. Before you leave the main app, choose Help > Advanced and make sure Use Native Messaging protocol is checked -- just in case. Start Chrome, and let us know if you see your items in your extension. :+1:

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member

None of this shows up, or at least I don't have a clue where to look. I have opened 1password on the laptop and it will show all of my signins. When I go to Chrome it has the icon but nothing in the 1pass box when you open. No sync.. I don't see Used 1pass befoe or use native messaging protocol..

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@dgoddard:

Is it possible that you still have two versions of 1Password for Windows installed at the moment, 1Password 4 and 1Password 6? If you are not planning to use your 1Password account and 1Password 6, please uninstall 1Password 6. Here is how:

1) On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2) Select System > Apps & features.
    3) Find 1Password 6 there and then select Uninstall.

1Password extension should connect to 1Password 4 after that. Please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member

I have read and tried the fixes for the connection failure. I am requesting some help to get the 1password app on firefox. Quite honestly I don't understand why this is such a challenge. Sorry for the comments -- I'm just really frustrated with 1password right now

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: windows 7
    Sync Type: drop box
    Referrer: forum-search:firefox connection failure

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member

Hi -- So I emailed for help as well, looking for the quickest way to get this fixed. Come to find out that the guy sent me the wrong link the first time, and was matter of fact when he corrected himself.. Crazy..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately when you send us messages in multiple places, we're all seeing different parts the elephant — we each only have one piece of the puzzle, not the whole picture. If you need any further assistance, please reply here or via email so we're on the same page. I'll be monitoring both, and happy to help if you'll let me know where you're still having trouble. Have a great weekend! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dgoddard: I've merged the new discussion you've created, separate from this one and the email thread you have going, in with this existing discussion to avoid further confusion. Please reply in one place so we can stay on the same page. Sending messages in multiple places slows down support for you and everyone else, and, as you found, results in you not getting the help you need anyway when there are multiple independent conversations going. :(

I have read and tried the fixes for the connection failure. I am requesting some help to get the 1password app on firefox. Quite honestly I don't understand why this is such a challenge. Sorry for the comments -- I'm just really frustrated with 1password right now

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'll be happy to help you get things sorted out. Can you be more specific about this "connection failure"? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member

I had a question about getting 1password to work on Firefox and it disappeared. I'm unable to get 1password to download and work with firefox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dgoddard: Thanks for clarifying. The most important thing is that you use the correct version of 1Password. Otherwise that can certainly be confusing — both for you using it, and for us trying to give you the correct instructions. If you'd prefer to use the license you've already paid for, do the following:

1. Install 1Password 4 from our website: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4
    2. Uninstall any other versions.
    3. Remove the 1Password extension from Firefox: https://support.1password.com/uninstall-extension/#firefox
    4. Restart Windows
    5. Enable Native Messaging in 1Password Help > Advanced
    6. Install the latest version of Firefox: https://firefox.com
    7. Install the latest 1Password extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Let me know how you get along! :)

ref: CDA-64851-595

This discussion has been closed.