To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What if we wanted to go back from 1password.com to standalone licence. is it Possible ?

Options
tetardbleu
tetardbleu
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Memberships

Hi, I'm considering the switch. to 1password.com but before that, i had some interrogations.

I searched the forum about this but found only partial answers to my question. I know that we keep access to our data if we stop paying subscriptions, I also know that we can keep local vaults alongside cloud vault if we started using 1password with a standalone license. However :

• Can we export data of 1password. com afterward and re import it into a local vault later if we have previously bought a standalone license ?
  • What if we obtain 1password 7 or 8 included with a subscription plan ? Can we buy a stand-alone license afterward (assuming you still offer this possibility in 2 years or so of course) and switch back to local vault(s) ?

If the answer is yes, what would be the best way to do so ?

A few things to continue this post as I read you like to know why we could be reluctant to use the subscription option.

• Security : I trust your infrastructure, encryption and knowledge, but i'd love (very very much) to use 2FA to connect to my cloud vaults on the web (I read the blog post and the forum's subject about the strength of the secret key and I agree with it. However, if I want to access my vaults on the web on a device that is not mine/less secure/compromised in any way, the 2 factor option would be a precious add IMHO, in addition to the "static" secret key used only to add a trusted device.

• Money : Your prices are completely affordable in a "normal" situation. Let's say however that one day I find myself in a financially difficult situation, I would like to pay only absolutely necessary bills while keeping managing my passwords. Of course they are also absolutely necessary today, but there are alternatives that don't require recurring payment.

• General opinion : of course you are totally affordable, but if all the apps I use daily were requiring affordable subscription fees, I would be totally bankrupted right now !

Finally, I wanted to tell you guys that I loved the way you communicate with us (version notes, quick and very kind answer, etc.) thank you for that ! I also wanted to tell you that the OTP option offered in the desktop version of the app was a really wonderful idea (as far as I know you are the only ones proposing that) .

P.S.: sorry if I made too many mistakes, English is not my mother tongue language.

1Password Version: 6 for Mac / 4 for win
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tetardbleu: Thanks for reaching out! Happy to answer your questions. :)

Can we export data of 1password. com afterward and re import it into a local vault later if we have previously bought a standalone license ?

Yep! There is one caveat, and that is that 1Password.com does some things differently, and so it is not a 1:1 equivalency. For example, local vaults do not support Documents. You would need to save your files and save them as attachments to other items if you moved back to a local vault.

What if we obtain 1password 7 or 8 included with a subscription plan ? Can we buy a stand-alone license afterward (assuming you still offer this possibility in 2 years or so of course) and switch back to local vault(s) ?

1Password 7 will have a license/standalone/local option, so that will work for you. But given that 1Password 7 is not done yet, I cannot possibly comment on 1Password 8! :lol:

If the answer is yes, what would be the best way to do so ?

For the most part, it's straightforward: you just move your data back to a local vault. Again, that won't work with Documents, but you can always export those and add them as attachments to new or existing items in the local vault.

Security : I trust your infrastructure, encryption and knowledge, but i'd love (very very much) to use 2FA to connect to my cloud vaults on the web (I read the blog post and the forum's subject about the strength of the secret key and I agree with it. However, if I want to access my vaults on the web on a device that is not mine/less secure/compromised in any way, the 2 factor option would be a precious add IMHO, in addition to the "static" secret key used only to add a trusted device.

Totally. Yeah, we don't recommend accessing sensitive data on an untrusted or compromised machine under any circumstances. The 1Password Teams Pro plan has beta Duo multifactor authentication, but that doesn't stop someone who has control over your machine from stealing your data as you access it.

Money : Your prices are completely affordable in a "normal" situation. Let's say however that one day I find myself in a financially difficult situation, I would like to pay only absolutely necessary bills while keeping managing my passwords. Of course they are also absolutely necessary today, but there are alternatives that don't require recurring payment.

I agree that our prices are pretty affordable. I spend WAY more in a year on pizza than I do 1Password, and arguably I could stand to do without the former. :tongue:

But in all seriousness, if you're ever in a situation like that, get in touch via email and we'll see if there's something we can do to help: support@1password.com

General opinion : of course you are totally affordable, but if all the apps I use daily were requiring affordable subscription fees, I would be totally bankrupted right now !

Absolutely. But fortunately(?) a lot of software nowadays is staying afloat by selling us, so I think there's room for a valuable tool like 1Password — which not only helps us secure our most important stuff but also makes our lives easier — in the budget. ;)

Finally, I wanted to tell you guys that I loved the way you communicate with us (version notes, quick and very kind answer, etc.) thank you for that ! I also wanted to tell you that the OTP option offered in the desktop version of the app was a really wonderful idea (as far as I know you are the only ones proposing that) .

Thank you for the kind words! I think we get a little carried away sometimes, but it's because we really love what we do — and it's a way for us to connect with people who we don't always get to hear from, and who maybe don't usually find release notes interesting. Glad you enjoy it! We love hearing from you, and can't wait to share the new stuff we're working on! :chuffed:

P.S.: sorry if I made too many mistakes, English is not my mother tongue language.

Your English is way better than any other language I could claim to know, so no worries there! :)

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@Brenty Quick and kind answer just like I said !

Yep! There is one caveat, and that is that 1Password.com does some things differently, and so it is not a 1:1 equivalency. For example, local vaults do not support Documents. You would need to save your files and save them as attachments to other items if you moved back to a local vault.

OK great news . Yes, I remember reading about attachments becoming documents in the cloud. Also if I remember correctly, when the online 1password started, the link between an attachment and his item in a local vault was lost during migration to the cloud.. Is this still accurate or not/resolved?

Totally. Yeah, we don't recommend accessing sensitive data on an untrusted or compromised machine under any circumstances. The 1Password Teams Pro plan has beta Duo multifactor authentication, but that doesn't stop someone who has control over your machine from stealing your data as you access it.

I agree with you but even there, our own devices could become unsecured without us knowing... 2FA clearly doesn’t mean no risks, but it reduces them a lot anyway. Yes, I'm paranoid but after all we are talking about passwords ! I knew about the "Duo" thing and I sincerely hope that if and when it's out of beta, you will add it to other plans. I even thought about choosing the team plan just for that as I believe some of your other users did, even if I don't need the team options. To be perfectly honest, of all the arguments mentioned earlier, it's the blocking one for me . Please, don't hesitate to tell me if the possibility is offered in the future inside of the personal or family plan.

But in all seriousness, if you're ever in a situation like that, get in touch via email and we'll see if there's something we can do to help: support@1password.com

That's really nice of you to say and very reassuring. Hopefully it will never be necessary but still... It shows you really care about your users ant it counts a lot !

Thank you for the kind words! I think we get a little carried away sometimes, but it's because we really love what we do — and it's a way for us to connect with people who we don't always get to hear from, and who maybe don't usually find release notes interesting. Glad you enjoy it! We love hearing from you, and can't wait to share the new stuff we're working on! :chuffed:

Please, please, please, Continue to "get carried away". Nothing else to add to this !

Your English is way better than any other language I could claim to know, so no worries there! :)

"Blushing"

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@brenty Really sorry if you received multiple notifications. My post seems to have disappeared twice while editing after posting. Good thing I had it written elsewhere before pasting it in the forum. I don't know exactly what I did wrong, however... Also my post is not going up with an updated date and time when a comment is added. is this a bug or me don't understanding something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Really sorry if you received multiple notifications. My post seems to have disappeared twice while editing after posting. Good thing I had it written elsewhere before pasting it in the forum. I don't know exactly what I did wrong, however... Also my post is not going up with an updated date and time when a comment is added. is this a bug or me don't understanding something?

@tetardbleu: I get a ton of notifications, so one more isn't going to put me over the edge. I appreciate the thought though. I think you just got stuck in the spam filter temporarily, but it looks like we're all good. :)

OK great news . Yes, I remember reading about attachments becoming documents in the cloud. Also if I remember correctly, when the online 1password started, the link between an attachment and his item in a local vault was lost during migration to the cloud.. Is this still accurate or not/resolved?

Resolved! The 1Password desktop apps (Mac and Windows) both automatically link attachments to the original items when importing them into a 1Password.com account as Documents. :)

I agree with you but even there, our own devices could become unsecured without us knowing... 2FA clearly doesn’t mean no risks, but it reduces them a lot anyway. Yes, I'm paranoid but after all we are talking about passwords ! I knew about the "Duo" thing and I sincerely hope that if and when it's out of beta, you will add it to other plans. I even thought about choosing the team plan just for that as I believe some of your other users did, even if I don't need the team options. To be perfectly honest, of all the arguments mentioned earlier, it's the blocking one for me . Please, don't hesitate to tell me if the possibility is offered in the future inside of the personal or family plan.

I can't discuss future plans, especially given this features beta status. But multifactor authentication is something that is on our radar. ;)

That's really nice of you to say and very reassuring. Hopefully it will never be necessary but still... It shows you really care about your users ant it counts a lot !

Well, I know I speak for all of us here at AgileBits when I say that we're only here because of how awesome our customers have been to us over the years. So while we're not perfect, we do try to help in any way we can. I think we've all been in a tough spot at one point or another, and the last thing we want is for you to have to worry about a bad break costing you your data. :blush:

Please, please, please, Continue to "get carried away". Nothing else to add to this !

Ha! Message received. I will tell the team that it's time to open the floodgates. You have been warned! :lol:

"Blushing"

:innocent:

• tetardbleu
    tetardbleu
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your help ! I'll wait impatiently ! Same for version 7, mostly for windows... As the 6 for mac is cool already !

Last P.S. your answer of this morning did not make the topic go up in the first page again (I mean in the list of subjects in the "Accounts" category). The date stays stuck to "November 16.” Only the author name and avatar are changing when a new comment is made. Not a big deal, just to warn you.
    Edit: Same thing with what I just wrote. The topic stays on page 2...

Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome. And thanks for letting me know. There are some known issues with the forum software, and we'll continue to work with the developer to get improvements. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.