Firefox and 1Password 4 [supported with latest versions of each]

Options

Comments

• flyx
    flyx
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. From the information in this thread, I deduce that this is because I use 1password 4. I tried, as explained, to install a version of the browser extension older than 4.6.9. However, Firefox tells me that version is not compatible.

I cannot update to a newer 1password version because apparently, there is none compatible with my license on Windows (the current one needs this membership thing). I purchased my license in 2015. So for me, it seems like I paid you $48.99 expecting a well-placed investment, and after just two years, you stop supporting your software and want me to pay you again for some stripped-down version that does not even seem to give me the possibility to sync my passwords via my own server? Please tell me if I'm wrong with my view on the situation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

I have the same problem. From the information in this thread, I deduce that this is because I use 1password 4.

@flyx: Nope. You've posted in a thread about 1Password for Mac version 4. See below for information pertaining to Windows.

I tried, as explained, to install a version of the browser extension older than 4.6.9. However, Firefox tells me that version is not compatible.

Correct. Only the latest 1Password extension versions can work with Firefox going forward, as it only supports Native Messaging and WebExtensions now.

I cannot update to a newer 1password version because apparently, there is none compatible with my license on Windows (the current one needs this membership thing). I purchased my license in 2015. So for me, it seems like I paid you $48.99 expecting a well-placed investment, and after just two years, you stop supporting your software and want me to pay you again for some stripped-down version that does not even seem to give me the possibility to sync my passwords via my own server? Please tell me if I'm wrong with my view on the situation.

You couldn't be more wrong. We went back and added Native Messaging support to 1Password for Windows version 4 months ago to prepare for this transition. You will, however, need to install the current version of both the app and the extension:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

And enable Native Messaging (in Help > Advanced) if you've disabled it. You may need to restart the 1Password Helper and browser, but that will almost certainly do the trick.

But, just to clarify, 1Password 6 isn't "stripped-down"; it's a brand new app. You should check it out sometime! No versions of 1Password support using you "own server" though. And certainly, like any app, 1Password 4 is not an "investment": you get the version and features you paid for. It will not work forever or be updated indefinitely, but it's usefulness is not early at an end. I hope this helps clear things up. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• flyx
    flyx
    Community Member
    Options

And enable Native Messaging (in Help > Advanced) if you've disabled it

Wow, that did the trick. I am sorry about my previous rant, although I am unsure why a fresh install of the application would disable this if it is required (I did not tinker with the setting).

No versions of 1Password support using you "own server" though.

I use the agilekeychain format for syncing my Vault between Mac and Windows using my own server via SparkleShare. As I understand it, this would not be possible with the new version since Dropbox support does not work either according to https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/ .

It will not work forever or be updated indefinitely

I am well aware of that. I just have the feeling that two years is a reasonable lifespan during which software I pay for should receive updates fixing upcoming platform (Browser / OS) incompatibilities. But as it works now, I'll take my complaint back. Thanks for your help.

• MikeT
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @flyx,

although I am unsure why a fresh install of the application would disable this if it is required

We're not sure either, we did test it on fresh installs and it had it enabled by default. We'll test again.

1Password doesn't modify this setting if the setting has been set by something else like 1Password 6. This is to prevent 1Password 4 from overwriting the newer 1Password 6 setting for folks that do have both versions installed. Otherwise, each 1Password 4 update would stop 1Password 6 from working in the browser.

I use the agilekeychain format for syncing my Vault between Mac and Windows using my own server via SparkleShare. As I understand it, this would not be possible with the new version since Dropbox support does not work either according to https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/ .

The guide you're looking at is specifically for Dropbox, it is not the same as Folder Sync, which would work with any folder you use on the drive. This is the guide for the general Folder Sync (macOS at the moment, 1Password 7 for Windows will have it soon): https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

I'm not familiar with SparkleShare and we cannot officially say that it would be supported but it is just syncing the folder, then the folder sync in the upcoming 1Password 7 for Windows would work with it.

1Password 4 is Folder Sync-based, it reads and writes to the 1Password folder.

The difference is that 1Password 7 will have an internal database and it'll export to a folder that it'll sync for you.

This discussion has been closed.