Unable to use 1Password extension in Firefox [Native Messaging must be enabled]

Options
jacherian
jacherian
Community Member
edited January 2018 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I dutifully removed my old 1Password Add-on and installed the latest add-on from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions and then upgraded from Firefox 56 to 57 (Quantum). But the 1Password button in the toolbar is grayed out and can't be clicked. Right click reveals a 1Password menu (along with Pin to Overflow menu, and remove from toolbar) but nothing happens when I select it. What gives?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, 1703
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jacherian: It sounds like you may have disabled Native Messaging in 1Password Help > Advanced. Try enabling that and restarting Windows, and let me know if that helps! :)

• DinckelMan
    DinckelMan
    Community Member
    Options

I got the same problem. Running FF57 on Arch Linux. I suppose it's blocked because it's looking for a desktop daemon, unlike the Chrome extension?

• @DinckelMan: I do believe some tweaking is needed for Linux, but since it's not an officially supported configuration, I'm afraid I don't know exactly what tweaking. Specifically, 1Password creates registry entries for Native Messaging on Windows and this isn't so easily accomplished on Linux. I hope this at least helps you know where to look, but if not hopefully a helpful Linux guru can hop in and lend a hand. :chuffed:

• DinckelMan
    DinckelMan
    Community Member
    Options

I wouldn't know :D From what I understand on Linux/ChromeOS specifically the extension works a little differently.

While looking for an answer to this I've stumbled upon something called 1PasswordX. Something I should be looking towards?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DinckelMan,

1Password X is the new extension of ours that works entirely in Chrome. You can learn more about it in this post in our blog:

1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser

You should be able to use it on Linux, but please note that 1Password X requires a 1Password membership accounts and doesn't work with standalone vaults. It relies on many of the features of our hosted solution to work properly.

Please let me know if it answers your question. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• MikeT
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @DinckelMan,

In addition to what Greg suggested with 1Password X, we do plan to extend that to other browsers in the future including Firefox. We're just starting out with Chrome for now but we're really excited to push it to the next level.

I got the same problem. Running FF57 on Arch Linux. I suppose it's blocked because it's looking for a desktop daemon, unlike the Chrome extension?

Correct, 1Password extension uses Native Messaging to pipe through our desktop process that'll bring up its native UI along with its stored encrypted data for you. The problem is that our Native Messaging host within 1Password 4 is built as a .NET file (we reused it from 1Password 6, a .NET 4.6.1 app) and Linux doesn't really have a reliable way (yet) to get .NET working consistently across distros via WINE and updated quickly.

If you can make .NET 4.6.1 or later work on ArchLinux, you should be able to use 1Password 4 and its extensions. As mentioned, this is not a supported configuration at all but we rather you avoid the hassles and use 1Password X in Chrome instead for now until we can get it to Firefox.

• ajdster
    ajdster
    Community Member
    Options

Right. So if I'm getting the jist of this, 1Password will be unusable in Firefox 57 if I'm not using a membership account? Do I have to switch to Chrome to keep from using a membership account? Sorry folks, the one reason I've stayed with 1Password is that I can keep my data to myself and NOT in some server somewhere. Please, say it ain't so.

• galeha
    galeha
    Community Member
    Options
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right. So if I'm getting the jist of this, 1Password will be unusable in Firefox 57 if I'm not using a membership account? Do I have to switch to Chrome to keep from using a membership account? Sorry folks, the one reason I've stayed with 1Password is that I can keep my data to myself and NOT in some server somewhere. Please, say it ain't so.

@ajdster: I'm not sure where you're getting this from. 1Password for Windows version 4, version 6, and 1Password for Mac version 6 all work with Firefox 57.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@galeha: Wait, what's the +1 for? :lol:

• ajdster
    ajdster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding, Brenty. :)

I upgraded to Firefox 57 last evening (already wish I hadn't) and tried many times to install 1Password Firefox add-on/extension from both within Firefox and from the Agilebits website with the big green button. I then tried 'resetting' Firefox (wish I hadn't done that, either) and no love. I even got adventurous and tried the 1Password beta. Alas, the button is still greyed out. No -- let me correct that -- it 'flickers'. Greyed out as default and then it will, occasionally, flicker black for half a nano-second. Makes one wonder if one's eyes aren't being deceived.

Perhaps there's another thread where this issue might be more appropriate but a google search result proved this thread the closest to my issue.

MacOS 10.12.6, 1Password 6.7.1, Firefox 57.

Any help most appreciated! I'll work around it for now via the menu/task bar icon but I'd prefer to have my 1Password functionality back within my preferred browser the way it was. Wish I could have simply ignored the persistent nagging from Firefox ... :(

Cheers!
    Jan

• adayzdone
    adayzdone
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here running Mac OS 10.13, 1P 6.8.4, Firefox 57. I have uninstalled & reinstalled several times. Icon is greyed out in the toolbar and does nothing when clicked.

• adayzdone
    adayzdone
    Community Member
    Options

I managed to get in working by turning off tracking protection, uninstalling the browser extension, quiting FF, and then reinstalling browser extension. Weird...

• Hi @adayzdone,

Thanks for the updates...

I have no idea how that would've interfere with 1Password extension...

I have the tracking protection enabled in Firefox and didn't see that issue. Do you have it set to strict or basic disconnect list?

• adayzdone
    adayzdone
    Community Member
    Options

Only in private windows, Only when using Tracking Protection. I disabled it because I read it may have been interfering with the ublock origin add on running in "I am an advanced user" mode with 3rd party scripts and frames blocked by default.

• That is unusual, we'll test it.

Thank you!

• jacherian
    jacherian
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty for the tip (which I remembered reading about after the fact). That solved my issue though I kinda wish you did not hide advanced options in the Help menu.

• MikeT
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @jackerian,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome. In 1Password 6 (and 7 coming soon), the Advanced stuff are in their own Advanced settings tab but this is intentional to avoid most of our users tinkering with something they shouldn't have to.

If they are, then we're not doing our job right to keep 1Password simpler to use or we need to improve the feature better. The advanced options are something to be phased out over time by integrating them better.

For an example, Native Messaging will be the only method for our 1Password extension in the future. Performance option isn't an option anymore in 1Password 6 and so on because it's been optimized for speed as well.

• sascha2015
    sascha2015
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi Agile Bites,
    sorry to say, but the 1password extensions does work at all with firefox 57 (Cannot proof identity). Latest macos & programs with all updates. Very, very annoying. I tried the way of adayzone, but it does not work.

Please resolve asap, thanks.

• terryi999
    terryi999
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Firefox 57 Add-ons lists the 1Password extension as a legacy extension that does not meet current Firefox standards and has been deactivated. And the button does not appear on the browser bar.

UPDATE: Fixed
    1Password Extension: 4.6.1; I couldn't download a more recent version from the update notes page due to a "connection error". I went to the Big Green Button download page to try again and the download error message pointed to a secondary download source which installed correctly.

• cameronreilly
    cameronreilly
    Community Member
    Options

I also have the 1P extension greyed out on FF57 on High Sierra 10.13.1. Installed 1P extension from Agilebits site.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Agile Bites, sorry to say, but the 1password extensions does work at all with firefox 57 (Cannot proof identity).

@sascha2015: It definitely works for the vast majority of people...so I wonder if you can provide some details about your setup and what you're seeing that might help us help you. For example, what do you mean by "Cannot proof identity"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@terryi999: Thanks for letting us know! Do you have "security" software or "blocker" extensions that may be preventing you from connecting securely to the CDN, or at all? It sounds like what worked was downloading it directly from our update server.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cameronreilly: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the 1Password and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you seeing some kind of error in Firefox? Thanks in advance! :)

• cameronreilly
    cameronreilly
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1P 6.7.1 and just noticed that I've missed 5 updates! I'm surprised it isn't updating by itself or that I didn't notice notifications that updates were available. I'm always the guy who updates within 24 hours. So I'm guessing that's my problem. I'll update and report back.

• cameronreilly
    cameronreilly
    Community Member
    Options

Confirmed - I updated to the latest 1P and the FF extension is now working. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! That explains Thanks for letting me know. :)

It's possible that you had the update check disabled (Preferences > Updates), the app could not connect to do the check, or something was dismissing the prompt. Anyway, glad that getting the latest version solved the issue for you. Cheers! :)

• Nikk
    Nikk
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm having the same problem with Firefox Quantum 57.0.1, 1Password Add-on 4.6.12.90, 1Password 6.7.457, Native Messaging enabled. In my case, I'm using several Firefox browser profiles, but the add-on is only activated in my main profile. Until Firefox 56, I could use several profiles (and windows) at once and have in each browser window the add-on activated. Now the icon is greyed out in every profile except my main one. Chrome working fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nikk: Indeed, it was working with previous Firefox releases and we haven't changed anything. It seems that, in spite of the speed and other improvements in 57, there are some rough edges with the latest Firefox release. We'll see how things shake out. Thanks for bringing this up!

• Hi @Nikk,

When you say several, how many exactly? At the moment, 1Password 6.7 only allows for 5 separate extension communication pipes via Native Messaging. That means 5 max Firefox Profile but you can run multiple windows of each profile, it's still reusing one pipe.

In the next stable update, we will increase it to ten now that it is more stable and consistent. We may increase it again in the future if it doesn't cause any stability issues.

This discussion has been closed.