Unable to use 1Password extension in Firefox [Native Messaging must be enabled]

Options

Comments

• Nikk
    Nikk
    Community Member
    Options

Some observations that might help you pinpoint the cause of the problem...
    · @MikeT Max 4 different profiles running at the same time... That cannot be the reason...
    · I read something about "Native Messaging" folder, I don't have any such folder (on Windows 10).
    · I ran the clean "default" profile of Firefox, and it was greyed out during the loading of the browser window as well, so it's not a issue of browser settings / incompatible extensions etc.
    · I deleted the accepted browsers in the options, but was not prompted to authenticate my browser when I relaunched it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@Nikk: The problem is that it isn't 1Password. As Mike mentioned, it's setup to allow the connections. And since this works for everyone else we've heard from it seems to be limited to your specific Firefox setup. Try this:

1. Open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\AgileBits and press Enter
    2. If present, move the OPX4.auth file to your desktop (to make sure you don't still have an authorization setup for a pre-57 WebSockets connection)
    3. Restart Windows
    4. Remove the 1Password extension in Firefox on each profile where you're having trouble
    5. Re-add it to each one at a time

Also disable other extensions in some of your profiles to see if they are interfering. Failing that, you may need to setup new profiles if it isn't working because they're simply damaged. Let us know what you find!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nikk: Sorry! I completely forgot to address your NativeMessagingHosts question. This is a folder on macOS, but on Windows it's in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\NativeMessagingHosts

Unlike macOS, 1Password should have no trouble creating 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password there, but it's worth checking as I suppose if there's a registry/permissions issue it's possible that it could not be created.

• Nikk
    Nikk
    Community Member
    Options

There is no OPX4.auth file, or any other .auth file, for that matter. NativeMessagingHosts exists in the registry under Firefox, but the only sub key is "net.downloadhelper.coapp". Reinstalling the add-on in a neutral profile does not work (greyed out instantly).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Nikk: Thanks for letting me know! It does sound like there's something preventing that registry being created then. Do you have "security" software that might be interfering? It might be worth disabling temporarily.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com
    Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: FXI-44851-379

• f1337
    f1337
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I ran into the same issue today. "Enable Native Messaging for Firefox" fixed it for me.

My circumstances: I just upgraded from 1Password 4 for Windows to 1Password 6 for Windows. I had Firefox 57 installed w/ the 1Password extension before I upgraded. I upgraded to 6, then removed 4. I tried reinstalling the extension twice, before finding this thread and the suggestion to enable native messaging.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! Indeed, if you had both versions installed only one can connect to the browser, so they try not to step on each others' toes. Glad enabling Native Messaging helped. Cheers! :)

• Nikk
    Nikk
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi again @brenty ,
    I know now that the reason behind the strange behavior was that I'm normally using a modified version of firefox.exe, namely with replaced icons. That of course changes the signature of the exe file. It seems that 1Password has a white list of some sort with trusted executables..? I was not really thinking of this explanation, as 1Password accepted the main profile of the modified exe anyway! However, as soon as I loaded another profile (even as the only instance) of Firefox, the browser was rejected and the add-on icon greyed out. Can I make 1Password accept my own browser executable, or do I have to go with the standard version? It already works with my main profile, strangely...

• @Nikk: 1Password does verify the code signature of your browser, so if the changes you've made alter that signature, it is likely 1Password will refuse that connection. The simplest way to resolve this would be to use an unmodified version of Firefox if that's an option for you. We don't want 1Password connecting with a browser when we can't verify it is what it claims to be. To do otherwise would be bypassing a key security feature of 1Password and open you up to other risks associated with unverified browsers.

• Nikk
    Nikk
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@bundtkate: Yup, that's pretty much what I expected. Too bad. But I understand your point, so I'll leave it at that.

@MikeT @brenty @bundtkate, thanks for the personal support! I appreciate it very much.

• @Nikk: On behalf of all of us, it's no problem at all. This is something of a symptom of that conflict between advanced users and everyone else. All told, we prefer to give y'all a lot of freedom to use 1Password as you see fit, but bypassing code signature verification is potentially so dangerous for less advanced users we ultimately decided it wasn't something we were comfortable supporting. I'm sorry this has had a negative impact on your usage of 1Password and really do appreciate your understanding of that decision. :chuffed:

• ChedBaker
    ChedBaker
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi!

Same issues here with firefox 57.0.2 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2. I'm using 1P 6.8.4, which I believe is the latest.
    The button is greyed out, plus my desktop 1P asks if I would like to install the FireFox extension (which I already have). I installed the latest browser plug-in via your website ( https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions/firefox?beta=false ).

Any more info that could be of use?

*FIXED
    Alright, so resetting my computer did the trick.

• @ChedBaker: Glad you were able to get things working! If you find you're having trouble again, you may find speedier help in our Mac forum. Since these things work a bit differently on Mac vs. Windows, the folks over there can often be more helpful than us Windows folk (though, of course, we'll always try to lend a hand where we can). :chuffed:

• vinnyang
    vinnyang
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi there!
    I have the same issue on my Linux machine too.

1Password version: 4.6.2.626 for Windows (via Wine)
    1Password plugin: 4.7.0.1 (latest beta)

Firefox version: 58.0b16 (64-bit)
    Chrome version: 64.0.3282.85

Both browsers have the same version of the plugin, but only the Chrome one works. I just found this thread today and tried turning on Native Message protocol as some earlier comments suggested, but it didn't solve the issue for me. Any other suggestion? Thanks in advance!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @vinnyang,

Please create a Diagnostics Report from 1Password 4 on your computer, so we could take a closer look. Attach it to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com an include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Suapport ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. Thank you very much in advance! I will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• vinnyang
    vinnyang
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg Here's my support ID: #LWS-12953-355

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vinnyang,

Found it! We will take a look and get back to you via email. Thanks! :+1:

ref: LWS-12953-355

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vinnyang: Just to clarify in case it helps you or anyone else, Linux is not a supported platform for the Windows app. You may be able to get it to work in Chrome because it can fall back to WebSockets. That is not possible at all in Firefox, and won't be in Chrome going forward. You'll need Microsoft's .Net Framework 4.6.2 or higher in order for Native Messaging to work.

• Emmanuel4Victory
    Emmanuel4Victory
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Brenty. That solution resolved the issue for me. Truly appreciate your input.

jacherian

November 2017

I dutifully removed my old 1Password Add-on and installed the latest add-on from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions and then upgraded from Firefox 56 to 57 (Quantum). But the 1Password button in the toolbar is grayed out and can't be clicked. Right click reveals a 1Password menu (along with Pin to Overflow menu, and remove from toolbar) but nothing happens when I select it. What gives?
    "

brenty

AgileBits Team Member
    November 2017

@jacherian: It sounds like you may have disabled Native Messaging in 1Password Help > Advanced. Try enabling that and restarting Windows, and let me know if that helps! :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Emmanuel4Victory,

On behalf of Brenty you are very welcome! :+1: Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mdesantis
    mdesantis
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

I installed 1Password 10 minutes ago, tempted by LastPass migration feature. But the extension doesn't work on Linux so I'm deleting the account right now :D

Bye bye!

P.S. please ping me if you decide to officially support Linux somewhere in the future ;)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mdesantis,

1Password X should be working in Chrome on your Linux machine. Could you please elaborate on what issues you had there?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mdesantis
    mdesantis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

thank you for the response. Frankly I don't care about Chrome, I use Firefox.

Regards

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mdesantis: It would be cool to have the same experience in Firefox and we are looking at it. I don't have anything specific to share at this point, but please stay tuned. :chuffed:

If there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• onurgozupek
    onurgozupek
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using MacOS High Sierra. I can't use 1Password on Firefox Quantum Developer Edition but it works on Firefox 57.04 (Quantum) Are there any recent solutions or advices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@onurgozupek: Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry for the confusion. That isn't at all related to this discussion. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it. Mozilla needs to fix their bundle identifier in the developer release. A bug has been filed already, and you'll be able to find updates there:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/410361/#Comment_410361

In the mean time, you can use the stable version of Firefox (beta should work too, as it doesn't appear to have the same issue). Cheers! :)

• mdesantis
    mdesantis
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg: I really hope so. I must say I like your product a lot, too bad that not all three big OSes (Win, Mac and Linux) are officially supported.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I really hope so. I must say I like your product a lot,

@mdesantis: Me too! Really liking the new direction of Firefox. :)

too bad that not all three big OSes (Win, Mac and Linux) are officially supported.

To be clear, that isn't the case. 1Password X is fully supported on Linux, and I'm really enjoying it in Chromium on Ubuntu. I'll be happy if we can get it working in Firefox too, though. We've also got a CLI app in beta. Cheers! :)

• mdesantis
    mdesantis
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@brenty: for "officially supported platform" I mean "the extensions are tested before they are released", and this doesn't seem to be the case, otherwise I couldn't explain why the Firefox extension doesn't work on Linux. Maybe Chrome on Linux is officially supported while Firefox is not?

Thanks for the clarification

P.S. I've noticed that "1Password X" is a Chrome-only extension, which corroborates my hypotesis

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

for "officially supported platform" I mean "the extensions are tested before they are released", and this doesn't seem to be the case,

@mdesantis: I'm not sure what you mean. We have a public beta for 1Password X (and our extensions that work with the native apps) before releasing to the stable channel, as well as builds we test internally prior to both (which I'm using right now)

otherwise I couldn't explain why the Firefox extension doesn't work on Linux. Maybe Chrome on Linux is officially supported while Firefox is not? Thanks for the clarification
    P.S. I've noticed that "1Password X" is a Chrome-only extension, which corroborates my hypotesis

Right. 1Password X is a Chrome extension, which is why it doesn't work in Firefox. We've targeted Chrome initially for Linux as it's the majority browser and also allows us to support Chrome OS. I understand you may prefer Firefox, and hopefully we'll have a version of this new "self-contained" extension for that in the future, but we do have an officially supported option for Linux; it just doesn't happen to be the specific thing you want. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.