1Password Standalone - Sharing !

Options
cammot
cammot
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

We have been using the 1Password Standalone app across all our apple devises, i.e. iMac, iPad, iPhone - what we love about this product is that it automatically syncs across devices seamlessly. We are using this app simply to store passwords from websites. We have asked this questions before, and not sure if this feature has become available lately. We would like our spouse's iPhone (different Apple ID) to be able to access and synch with password updates. We recall there was a method to backup our data to a file on dropbox, and then download the data on to her iPhone - it worked but is a cumbersome process. Please let us know if there is another way to make this happen, without having to upgrade to the family type subscription that requires monthly recurring payments. Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cammot,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. :)

So far, Apple hasn't made it possible to share anything between two iCloud accounts, so your options are:

• Sign up for a 1Password membership (which has loads of benefits). You can try it free for 30 days to see if it's a good fit. Personally, I could never get my wife to use 1Password with me until we got a 1Password membership. Now I just save things for the both of us, and they are immediately available to her on all her devices. She doesn't have to do anything. And we each still have our own personal vaults as well. Shared stuff is shared. Personal stuff is separate. :+1:

• Share a vault using Dropbox which requires setting up a Dropbox account (if you don't already have one), installing the Dropbox app, sharing a folder in Dropbox, opening that shared vault on every other computer and device you want to sync with. It's a lot more work to set up and because there are more moving parts, so to speak, there is a lot more room for things to go wrong. I don't want to scare you, but our Dropbox troubleshooting article is probably the longest article on our support site. I think it's only fair to mention that before someone starts down that path. If you're comfortable with that level of setup and fiddling, that's awesome. I just know that not everyone is. :)

I hope that helps you make an informed decision. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I don't hear for you sooner, have a great weekend!

• cammot
    cammot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions. Apple does make it possible to share data between two iCloud accounts, i.e. calendars, contacts to mention just a couple. There is a sharing feature / option that can be enabled in the settings that allows for sharing between two iCloud accounts on Apple devices. Of course, these are all Apple app's and therefore easier, I understand proprietary limitations. I would think that the block is more on the 'agile bits' front, than an Apple blockade. Given that it can be done, as by stated example, perhaps this is something you folks can consider for future upgrade on the standalone, even if it means purchasing another single license.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cammot: That's a fair point. But for our purposes, we're talking about 3rd party apps, like 1Password, which use Apple's CloudKit to sync data. There is no mechanism there to share between iCloud accounts. You can share individual Calendars and Notes (as far as I can tell you can't share Contacts between accounts — sending someone a copy is not what I'd call "sharing") because Apple has built that functionality into their OSes. What you're proposing cannot be done, at least by us, the way you're suggesting. The other options Khad mentioned though are available to you now (and have been for some time) if you choose to use them. Cheers! :)

• Burt_Burt
    Burt_Burt
    Community Member
    Options

Any way to share vaults without using Dropbox? Is there another option like Box?

• Ben
    Options

1Password membership would be the only other (and best) option.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.