To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

License vs account - secret key

creativeopinion
creativeopinion
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Memberships

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble to understand the difference between those two in the subject. I only have a license key that I received when I bought 1Password back in Feb 2013. Currently using 1Password 4 on Windows and an iOS app. Everything is synced via dropbox and it works perfectly well.

Now I wanted to try 1Password 6 (Beta) for Windows and when I tried to log in it's asking me for a secret key that I don't have. I found an article explaining where I can find the key but it's not there. Now as I understand I don't have the key because I never had a membership account, correct? I thought I could simply log in via my license key and then add/sync the vault via dropbox but I guess that will not be the case here.

I wanted to try membership so I could get secret key but when I'm trying to create a new account either via website or iOS app it's treating me as a new customer and I being asked to create a new master password. I don't want a new master password because I already have one so when I got that message on the screen I didn't want to mess anything up so I stopped the whole process :) and now I'm here.

Long story short: How can I create a new membership so I can get a secret key so I could try that new beta on Windows? I guess what I would like to do is to create a membership and simply link it to my current apps/license.

Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 x64
Sync Type: Dopbox

Comments

• creativeopinion
    creativeopinion
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Update:

I did some research and found a useful video explaining what I should do so happy to say I just got my membership! Reinstalled the app on Windows and everything works except one thing.. the most important one..

so when I reinstalled the app on Windows I thought i need to merge the firefox extension with the new app. I removed the extension first and then within the app I clicked to add the extension again. I was redirected to the website so I could install the app but unfortunately the whole process doesn't work. I click 'allow' to install and then I'm getting error message saying connection lost or something like that and it just won't install.

I should mention i recently updated Firefox to version 57 and when I checked their website for addons 1Password is not showing there at all. It's strange because when firefox reinstalled extension was still there and it was working just fine.

Could you please advise what we can do? I cannot imagine using my browser without the extension in place.

Also one more thing about the membership. An article on this website explaining the benefits is saying this:

Store secure documents. Upload files and keep them in encrypted storage, then access them whenever you need them.

Does this mean I now have a dedicated cloud or am I misunderstanding this completely? I guess storing your emergency kit within in the app is not the best idea?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@creativeopinion: Thanks for reaching out, and trying a 1Password.com membership. I’m sorry for the confusion!

I click 'allow' to install and then I'm getting error message saying connection lost or something like that and it just won't install.

Something is preventing you from either establishing a secure connection to our server, or installing the extension in Firefox. Do you have "security" software that might be interfering? :unamused:

Does this mean I now have a dedicated cloud or am I misunderstanding this completely?

You can store pretty much any files you want in your 1Password.com account as Documents. The only limit is your storage space, of which 1GB is included in your membership. :)

I guess storing your emergency kit within in the app is not the best idea?

There's nothing wrong with doing that...but I'd encourage you to print it out and store it in a secure location like a safe deposit box. If you lose access to your account, having the Emergency Kit inside it will not help you. :blush:

• creativeopinion
    creativeopinion
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Hi Brenty,

thank you for the quick reply.

Something is preventing you from either establishing a secure connection to our server, or installing the extension in Firefox. Do you have "security" software that might be interfering? :unamused:>

Yes, that would be Eset + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware + VPN + uBlock Origin. I will try to disable some temporarily and double check.

You can store pretty much any files you want in your 1Password.com account as Documents. The only limit is your storage space, of which 1GB is included in your membership. :)>

Perfect, thanks for clarifying. This all membership with 1Password is a bit new thing for me. One question. Lets say I've lost my agilebits.keychain completely or I've lost access to Dropbox and there is no way to recover it. Does this mean that I will still be able to log in on your website and open the vault and see all my passwords? In this scenario I will know my master password + the whole emergency kit but I will no longer have access to keychain. I realize that might be a stupid question since all is stored locally.

I'm also asking because I can see I can open the vault online so is it syncing directly from the app? From iOS as well?

Lets say I only have iOS app with my account connected there but I no longer have desktop app and also I'm unable to access dropbox anymore because I've lost access. The only difference is iOS app is still on my phone, I can open it with master password or using Touch ID and sync between dropbox is still active. Would I still be able to see all my passwords online?

Also since I have you here :) one more question!

Do I really need the whole folder with 1password data in order to recover my passwords in case of an emergency? I created a backup and I have a file called '1Password 2015-07-12 231059 (XXX items).agilekeychain_zip' Is that file sufficient alone to load my passwords into the app if I will ever need to?

Also I just noticed that on 1Password 6 there is no option to trigger the back up manually? How can I make sure I will have the most recent back up in place?

• creativeopinion
    creativeopinion
    Community Member

Edit:

disabling security software is not making any difference. I still cannot install the extension. Is there any way to install it manually? Are you sure it's supported by the latest version of Firefox? I mean it should be showing on the website I think but it doesn't :/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@creativeopinion: I'm not aware of any one of those in particular causing trouble for Firefox, but all together I would not be surprised if there were some interaction.

disabling security software is not making any difference. I still cannot install the extension. Is there any way to install it manually?

Yep! Download it in another browser and drag the XPI to Firefox. But again, that doesn't resolve the issue of you being unable to connect to a secure site and install an extension in your own browser... :(

Are you sure it's supported by the latest version of Firefox?

Yep! We moved to WebExtensions and Native Messaging back in August. And most of us have been using prerelease versions of 57 for a while too. The only issues we've seen are when people can't install it in the first place — and unfortunately we don't have any control over that. :blush:

I mean it should be showing on the website I think but it doesn't :/

What do you mean?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm also asking because I can see I can open the vault online so is it syncing directly from the app? From iOS as well?

@creativeopinion: The encrypted data is stored on the server, and downloaded by the clients when you authorize them.

Lets say I only have iOS app with my account connected there but I no longer have desktop app and also I'm unable to access dropbox anymore because I've lost access. The only difference is iOS app is still on my phone, I can open it with master password or using Touch ID and sync between dropbox is still active. Would I still be able to see all my passwords online?

With an internet connection, yes, you could access any data in your 1Password.com account through the website.

Also since I have you here :) one more question! Do I really need the whole folder with 1password data in order to recover my passwords in case of an emergency? I created a backup and I have a file called '1Password 2015-07-12 231059 (XXX items).agilekeychain_zip' Is that file sufficient alone to load my passwords into the app if I will ever need to?

That is a backup for a very old version. It sounds like you're looking in the 1Password folder. Recent versions store their data in 1Password 4. You'll find the Backups subfolder there as well. :)

Also I just noticed that on 1Password 6 there is no option to trigger the back up manually? How can I make sure I will have the most recent back up in place?

1Password for Mac automatically saves a backup at least once a day if you've made changes to your data. However, that only applies to local vaults. 1Password.com backs up everything all the time, with item history going back at least a month. Cheers! :)

• creativeopinion
    creativeopinion
    Community Member

Never mind! Solved!

• creativeopinion
    creativeopinion
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

I've tried to add the extension manually via XPI file as well as I've tried to roll back to Firefox version 56 to check if I can add the extension there. It doesn't let me to add the extension. Well when adding it via XPI file it is showing on the list of addons, it is enabled but it's not active so you cannot use it.

I checked few other random addons that I could find here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and I can add anything I wanty without any problems. The only problem is with 1Password so it really seems this might be an issue on your side.

Like I said I've disabled any security software, tried XPI file and tried different versions of firefox.

Any suggestions? I have no clue what I can do more. Unfortunately using Chrome is not an option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@creativeopinion: If it were an issue on our side that would be great because we could fix it. :(

It sounds like you may have figured things out on your machine. If that's the case, I'd love to hear what you found, as it may help others as well! :blush:

This discussion has been closed.