With multiple versions the help knowledge base is confusing so maybe Add Filtering

Options

Years ago I paid ($20?) for 1password2 (or 3?) plus even more for the iphone app. Then after a while I had to pay again for version 4 (but "it will be worth it" you said. I resisted as long as possible when you tried to push every one to the subscription model . I recently gave in and switched to a family plan.

The learning curve is steeper than I had expected, but I'm getting there. One attraction to me was the promise of great support. I thought it would be phone...

REQUEST: Add an option to, at least for new forum items, allow filtering by platform and/or version. I spent a lot of frustrating time trying to upgrade my 1pass4 windows chrome app to work with the vaults for 1pass6. I kept searching the forums and getting info not relevant to me. Finally I gave up because I couldn't find anything else (except: not yet in 1pass6, maybe soon) so I re-enabled (for the third time) the chrome 1pass4 extension. Amazingly my vaults showed up, maybe because I toggled some native mode in advanced settings.

Maybe I just happened to be doing it while you were releasing X. But it is very annoying to get told over and over about one version when one is looking for another. I suppose you can't manually tag each old message to allow filtering, but maybe that can happen going forward.********

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626 and 6.7.457
Extension Version: X 1.0.1 and 4.6.12.90
OS Version: windows 10 home build 15063
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:feature request

Comments

• aaron_meyerowitz
    aaron_meyerowitz
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

This is more of a suggestion now. Anyway, I finally gave in and switched from the purchased version (4.x) to the family subscription plan (6.x). I noticed that the (existing) extension in chrome still opened in 1password4 and wanted to update it so it opened in 6. I disabled the old extension but there was no special extension in the chrome store for 1pass6. Within 1pass6 on my desktop I went through settings screens to PUSH THE BIG GREEN BUTTON TO INSTALL CHROME EXTENSION but that seems to be for the 1pass4 extension and indeed it said something like _you have it disabled, want to re-enable? _ But I didn't do that. More drilling in the forums seemed to show that the "search for a password" feature from windows + 1pass4 was not yet available in 1pass6. So I gave up and re-enabled the 1pass4 extension (which I had disabled and re-enabled several times in the last few days)

AMAZINGLY the behavior had changed and I could see multiple vaults. My problem is solved, but what happened? Perhaps it was this: Looking through the (rather confusing) menus I got to a box in advanced for enable chrome native messaging. I wasn't sure what that was, but I checked it. Maybe that did it. I didn't see instructions any place suggesting to do that.

WAIT, maybe 1passwordX is the answer. I only looked it up in fear that after I paid like $20 for 1pass2 many years ago then paying even more for 1pass4 (but it will be worth it, you said) and now I was shifting to a monthly subscription for 1pass6 that was about to be obselete.. luckily not. But I had to google search to find out what it was.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
    Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
    OS Version: windows 10 build 15063
    Referrer: forum-search:1password6 chrome extension

• aaron_meyerowitz
    aaron_meyerowitz
    Community Member
    Options

I finally grudgingly gave up on the 1pass4 I loved and paid for (after paying for multiple versions of 3) to go to the family subscription plan. So should I delete 1pass4 or keep it. It seems that changes ( like notes added)
    in one version change the other. I detailed elsewhere my struggles to get the extension for chrome to show multiple vaults (which mysteriously worked once I gave up. Looking to place a comment I found out about 1password X which was not, as I feared, yet another version to pay for. Once I enabled that the old extension was disabled.

So should I uninstall 1pass4 from windows or not or on what does it depend? I don't use Internet Explorer, but my wife does. So I suppose I should keep it? But will she be able to see her private vault? will it mess up the file in dropbox?

Ditto the old chrome extension, kill or keep?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626 and 6.7.457
    Extension Version: X 1.0.1 and 4.6.12.90
    OS Version: windows 10 home build 15063
    Referrer: forum-search:should I disable my older version and extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aaron_meyerowitz: We don't have plans to add filtering to the knowledgebase. Instead we're working toward 1Password for Windows version 7, which will replace both 1Password 4 and 6. I apologize for any confusion in the mean time, but we're here if you have any questions. :)

So should I uninstall 1pass4 from windows or not or on what does it depend?

If you don't need both, I'd recommend uninstalling the one you can live without. You only need 1Password 4 if you are still using local vaults. You don't need 1Password 6 if you're not using a 1Password.com account.

I don't use Internet Explorer, but my wife does. So I suppose I should keep it?

I wound't recommend it. It is no longer being developed, and both Chrome and Firefox are great browsers. Oh, and both of these are using Native Messaging now, so when you had disabled that, they could not connect to 1Password.

But will she be able to see her private vault?

If you mean in her 1Password.com account, no that cannot work with 1Password 4, only 1Password 6.

will it mess up the file in dropbox?

If you're using a 1Password.com account, this does not use Dropbox.

Ditto the old chrome extension, kill or keep?

If you're using 1Password X, you don't have to use the other extension or the 1Password app. It's up to you though.

It sounds like you're just installing everything: 1Password 4, 1Password 6, the extension that works with those apps, 1Password X — please slow down, let us know what you're trying to do, and we can help. :)

• aaron_meyerowitz
    aaron_meyerowitz
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify several things, I've used 1password 4 for many years, I didn't just install it. I got the family plan just recently. I don't want to prematurely uninstall 1pasword4 but I'm not attached to it. I just want the cleanest installation that will work for multiple users.

Within 1password6 the "install chrome extension" option installs the extension for 4. I never disable native messaging. I discovered a blank check box and checked it. Suddenly that extension showed multiple vaults.

My question wasn't about if my wife should keep using IE (which she should not, but up to her) it was about if 1password4 gives her functionality in IE that 1password6 does not.

In my frustration getting it to work I stumbled on X and decided to try it. Incidentally, I had searched inside chrome settings for what 1password extensions there were and only one shows up, maybe it is still too new.

Probably ctrl-alt-\ is the way to get what I want.

• @aaron_meyerowitz:

I'll try to break down a few things here, but please do ask questions if you've got 'em. The extension (for the desktop apps) is the extension. It's the same for both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6. What you control is which app is connected to the extension. It looks different depending on which is connected because the extension itself has no UI (that comes from the app), but there's no need to install a new extension for 1Password 6. The one you have is fine. :+1:

The reason brenty recommends uninstalling 1Password 4 is because of the above. You have to change settings in the apps in order to pass the extension between them. For this reason, it's much easier just to have one. If you're not going to be using 1Password 4, it really is best to uninstall it. This won't affect your Dropbox data, so if you find you need to reopen that vault, you can always reinstall and open up your old vault.

You asked about IE and 1Password 6 will not work with the IE extension. This is the one exception to the "same extension" rule, as IE works very differently from other browsers and thus what we can "the extension" in IE is something separate entirely that only works with 1Password 4. I don't want to cause any martial strife, but if you're going with 1Password 6, you'll need to get your wife to switch.

And last word on the extension, you mentioned not seeing All Vaults. The UI for the extension with 1Password 6 is a bit different. You won't see all of your Logins no matter where you are. On a blank tab, you'll see everything. On a website, you'll see nothing if you have no Login items associated with that site, or you'll see matching Login items when you do. No matter where you are, you can view all of your Logins by clicking the circle of dots icon at the top. Below logins is Credit Cards for when you need to fill one and below that is Identities, followed by the Password Generator. I know this takes some getting used to, so if you have questions, let us know. :chuffed:

Again, as brenty mentioned, no desktop app is required for 1Password X, but it is only available in Chrome right now, so your wife would still need to get to know a new browser if she'd like to use it. Of course, the two of you aren't required to have the same setup. You can each pick what works best for you -- 1Password 6 for Windows or 1Password X.

Finally, I'll leave you with this article which is our guide to migrating from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6. You may well have already completed much of this, but I hope having it available will help you figure out how far you've gotten and know where to go from there. If you're at all confused, there's no need to jump in and try things, we're here to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.